Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

Confused :/

Hi there recently signed papers for a new tt. I am wondering what your bill included?The dealership I am dealing with told me I have to pay the cost of the tt plus tax. $299. admin fee. $150 financing fee. $20 tire tax. I would also get 15% of accessories. I called three other dealerships. One of them charged a $199 admin fee. The others didnt. I am being hosed for being a woman? Also I heard the admin fee was to fill propane tanks battery and paper work. Any info would be appreciated
rvingmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

We are all the victims of the "shell" game. It's easy to offer a bottom line price when you add in operating fees for anything and everything when its contract time. Everyone from car dealers to tire dealers do it......on my list of "Optional Equipment, Labor and Accessories" on the contract..."Aluminum Rim Swap, Fill LP, Clean, Pre-Delivery Inspection, Install WDH, Install Brake Control, Demonstration, Lien Fee $5, Doc Fee $129, Processing Fee $3"
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #3

Is your DMV on their anywhere? I think we had to pay $100 just for new plates. Plus the registration fee. Maybe that's it? I would ask them specificallly what the admin fee covers. Ours came with both lp tanks filled along with a fresh water hose, some black tank blue stuff packets, sewer hoses, adapters and some other little things, but that was just part of their "customer care" package or whatever they want to call it. They include it with every trailer purchase at my dealer.

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #4

Sept 2009

Documentation Fee (Calif) $55
Vehicle License Fee (Calif) $279
"Other" $8
(we did not finance - no fee)
(as well as Calif Sales tax - no getting out of that one and in our state happened to be way too high)

We get 10% discount if we choose to purchase supplies through the dealer

Although we took our rvdirect quote to Richardson's in Calif (of which they honored that quote), we did all the paperwork through Indiana RV Connection down the street from Jayco in Middlebury (owned by Richardson's) when we picked it up 'from the factory'. I'm not sure what the admin fee is, but if it's the new trend, I'm guessing we will see it when we go to 'upgrade'
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

I should mention my dealer "threw-in" a Camco RV Starter Kit (5 gal Bucket) w/ cleaning supplies, wash, hoses, septic treatment....etc. I also receive a lifetime discount card worth 10% off any parts purchases.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Really don't get dragged into the weeds on charges, the actual out-the-door price is the one you need to shop around with. I asked dealers to provide the final price, I went with the best deal and that was RVDirect.

The dealer starter package is, at best, slightly better then junk. Cheapest slinky, cheapest fresh water hose, etc.... That's hardly a bargaining chip given a trip to Walmart could get you the same stuff for $15.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #7

We delt with our local Jayco dealer and recieved alot of extras, discounts on things we purchased like deflappers, extention cord. Got a great deal for the trade in, he installed the new hitch on our truck for just the cost of the hitch and no labor fee. He gave us the plate from the old camper just to get us home..we do all the DMV paperwork ourselves. No fees, just the price of the camper after trade in, tax and thats it. Double check everything....
Leigh and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

I just took a pen and stroked out the fee's.. told the dealer to take it or leave it... GUESS WHAT? He took it...Taxes and govt charges are a different matter.. well sort of...maybe...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I just took a pen and stroked out the fee's.. told the dealer to take it or leave it... GUESS WHAT? He took it...Taxes and govt charges are a different matter.. well sort of...maybe...

There ya go. When your at the table with pen in hand im sure they will do what needs to be done to get the deal closed (with in reason)
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #10

So I got them to take the admin fee off, got a $300 in store credit and a equalizer hitch in the mix. I feel satisfied. the only thing I wish the eagle had a ipod dock Now we just need to get rid of this dam snow ITS APRIL lol
rvingmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingmommy View Post
So I got them to take the admin fee off, got a $300 in store credit and a equalizer hitch in the mix. I feel satisfied. the only thing I wish the eagle had a ipod dock Now we just need to get rid of this dam snow ITS APRIL lol
GOOD JOB ... Christmas in April
Old 04-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingmommy View Post
My 09 Eagle does have an input for an Ipod on the radio... U just have to supply the docking station.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #13

I think she means this type of iPod Docking station (below) which is found on many high receivers. This type allows remote control of the iPod functionality through a receiver interface....

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-13_14-49-22_59.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	7356
Old 03-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #14

Nope...not because you're a woman. Dealers, be they trailer or car dealers, are 100% non-sexist when it comes to finding ways to fool the public.

As others have stated, the only thing that matters is the bottom line.

If they show me a paperwork fee, I can't resist having a little fun with them. "Oh, I understand you need to cover your cost for the paperwork...that makes perfect sense. But I'm looking closely here, and I can't find the insurance fee anywhere....you do have insurance on your business, don't you? Oh, and what about the janitorial fee?".

We just bought a new car, and when you go in the room to do the paperwork, of course that's when they try to sell you a bunch of worthless products. I just held up my hand, and told them I'm buying a car just as Ford made it, and it's a good car, and I don't want to buy or hear about any extras.

That's the time they pull out their "waiver form" and insist you sign it stating you declined to buy their junk. I was ready for that, and fortunately had warned my wife about it so she wouldn't fall for it, and I refused to sign it. It's just a scam to make the buyer second guess their decision not to buy their junk. Oh my!...there's a form!! He argued, and I just smiled and said I was perfectly willing to walk out the door if he didn't put his stupid form back in the drawer. He wrote "refused to sign" on it and put it in the drawer.

Sure, I could have signed it, but I want them to know I don't believe their nonsense. It's really insulting, actually.

The dealer even took time to coach us on how to fill out the satisfaction survey that we would receive from Ford. Riiiight. I filled out the form accurately and honestly, and in the comments section listed the tricks the dealer tried to use.

If you think about it, dealers are professional sellers, and we go in as amateur buyers. It's difficult, but it pays to learn about their tricks in advance so you can level the playing field a little.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #15

I can really appreciate your story. But I do think woman get hammered harder. And it can be very hard to speak up. When I have car shopped alone vs. with my husband it is evident. But I love who we buy/lease from now. She is awesome. When I was 19 buying a car a salesman at a Ford dealership told me MSRP was what he paid for the car and of course there would be a slight mark up as he had to make money too. I was so offended I actually called him out on it and walked away from the dealership. total jerk move.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #16

I do not mind signing their waiver. I believe it is a form higher ups decided would help ensure that the upsells were actually being offered (pushed). But now that I think about it, I do resent them asking you to sign it, as it takes a long time to read all that crap.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise View Post
Sept 2009

Documentation Fee (Calif) $55

Vehicle License Fee (Calif) $279

"Other" $8

(we did not finance - no fee)

(as well as Calif Sales tax - no getting out of that one and in our state happened to be way too high)

We get 10% discount if we choose to purchase supplies through the dealer

Although we took our rvdirect quote to Richardson's in Calif (of which they honored that quote), we did all the paperwork through Indiana RV Connection down the street from Jayco in Middlebury (owned by Richardson's) when we picked it up 'from the factory'. I'm not sure what the admin fee is, but if it's the new trend, I'm guessing we will see it when we go to 'upgrade'

Interested to hear more how this worked. You used richardsons to buy direct and get an rvdirect price. How did that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #18

When negotiating for a car/truck I specify an out the door price, including fees, taxes, registration and licensing, any extras I want, etc. I go in knowing the value of my trade in and what I expect is the value of what I am buying.

I also have a check in hand to pay for the vehicle from where ever I have obtained financing.

I don't care how much they put down on the form for my trade in (if any) or the different fees and such. I only care about what I pay on the bottom line. FWIW, all those fees and trade in price are set to minimize the taxes paid by the dealer.

Think of it this way. If you agree to pay $50k for a trailer, does it matter to you if they put down that your trade in was $10k or 20k? Does it matter if they put down a $1000 or $500 dealer prep fee? Bottom line is you pay $50k.

A negotiation is a gamble. You want to pay less. The dealer wants more. You are gambling that no one will come in and offer more than you want to pay. The dealer is gambling that they are getting the best price in the shortest period of time. And the best tactic for you is to walk out the door. If you get a phone call in a month you know you have the upper hand. If that unit disappears from stock it means someone else thought it was worth more than you did.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I do not mind signing their waiver. I believe it is a form higher ups decided would help ensure that the upsells were actually being offered (pushed). But now that I think about it, I do resent them asking you to sign it, as it takes a long time to read all that crap.
Upsells are ensured by commissions.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #20

Way to go OP!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote