Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #1

Considering a new Jayco

Hi guys,

Going into my 3rd tyear of camping & I am in the process of upgrading my 18ft Surveyor to something a little larger and have been reading a lot of good things about Jaycos. Late last summer I upgraded my TV to a 2010 F150 5.4 Supercab with standard tow package, LT tires, factory brake controller, 3:55 posi & 6sp auto. Towing capacity is listed at 9700 lbs but I know I will run out of payload long before I reach tow limits. If I had my time back I would have opted for the Max Tow version with more payload but as per the sticker on my door I only have 1427lbs of payload to work with. My wife really likes the 28BHS & the corner kitchen layout & I do as well. A little hesitant on the length as I was hoping to keep total length under 30' but it's not that much longer. The weight is borderline of what I wanted to tow as well. Just wondering if ther are many towing this model with similar half tons to mine and what their experiences are? A fallback could be the 26BH but may regret not getting the slide but should be a fairly easy tow. The 25BHS is also nice but too heavy for my truck I'm thinking. Most of the time it's my wife & daugher only & sometimes one of my daughter's cousins or friends travel with us. We travel fairly light & don't take any water just what's in the hot water heater & would also pick up an Equalizer brand 4 pt sway & WD hitch. Thoughts?
NLCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #2

Hiya and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum. I wish I had time to find the post that I made regarding our setup with the F-150 but I don't tonight... sorry . We have the G2 version of the 28bhs. We pull the tt pretty well, but definitely slow down on grades. The Tow-haul mode does well to slow us down on the descend of grades. Even though the f-150 has the "integrated sway" you definitely need two sway bars with your weight distibution hitch. the integrated sway will not keep your 29' tt from swaying.... been there done that.... hope this helps
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome NLCobra. You can pull the 28BHS with your truck, I`m doing it with less tow capacity (8100 lbs) and similar payload. I just try to load prudently and only light and bulky stuff in the front storage areas so as not to increase tongue weight much. I only carry water of any amount close to home and when needed. I do not put much weight in the truck bed, bikes, some firewood, fishing gear and such. You will not be speed or power demon, but the truck will get the job done. And that new 6 spd transmission should help also.
We too considered the 26 BH but at the end of the day the larger 28 BHS won out with our family considerations and yes, DW also loves the L shaped kitchen. And the slide, while small, makes a bid difference in the living room. Good luck, Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #4

You got it

Try a Reese Dual Cam WD system. I tow a jayco G2 33rlds and like it a lot. My Dealer made good points and thats mainly what they install. Not as Pricey as the Hensley or Pullrite, but as great in its own right.

Don't worry about Lenght. Thinl of this and tell me what you think Honestly. have you ever been to the campgrounds and saw a really nice trailer with room to roam...Have you ever thought when I go to buy a new one I want this and that etc,,, Well its your turn Pal, its your time, Dont downsize and spend thousands and weeks later wish you got the extra 3 feet or whatever.

My point is simple go big as you can possibly haul, enjoy it and dont leave the dealership with any regrets...

Good Luck...
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. Just do your homework and make your decision.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the welcome guys. The 28BHS looks like it could be dooable then if I watch the weights which shouldn't be too big a deal & get a quality WD, sway control hitch. I have a local dealer here but have been looking at them in the States as well. Interesting that some of the dealers talk about JAyco requiring me to go down & pick it up or at least to do the walk-through & sign the papers etc. while others don't say anything about it & are willing to ship it to my door. I just don't have the time to go down & pick one up so I may end up gettinmg one from the US unless the local dealer is willing to negotiate.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #7

One quick question....does anyone know what kind of loaded hitch weight they are seeing with the 28BHS ready to camp? I think the dry is 690lbs & I know it should be a good bit more. Also is it safe to assume that a properly adjusted WD hitch should transfer approx 20 or 25% of the weight from the hitch to the trailer & front of the truck? Trying to nail down payload calculations.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #8

In case no one gets to this right away, I can meanwhile share our info.... The 28bhs and our Jay Flight 29bhs g2 are similar but your dry tongue weight is a little less. Our 2010 had a dry tongue weight of 800lbs. Not sure why, but the 2011's have a lower weight rating . I can tell you though that the last time we weighed our tongue with full tanks, two batteries, lawn chairs/etc in front storage, and items in the bedroom cabinets etc, our tongue weight was 1025lbs. This weight falls between the 10-15% of our current trailer weight. Hope this helps some
Old 03-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #9

Thanks healthi that's helpful...yes the 2011 brochure shows dry hitch weight of 715lbs for your trailer vs 800 in 2010...weird that it went down like that from one year to the next.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLCobra View Post
Thanks healthi that's helpful...yes the 2011 brochure shows dry hitch weight of 715lbs for your trailer vs 800 in 2010...weird that it went down like that from one year to the next.
Jayco has made some modifications in 2011 that may have changed the tongue weight. They changed the front of the trailer to a more aerodynamic shape and went to a 2 tank 90 gallon water system. The placement of these tanks may have changed the tongue weight as the old single 59 gallon tank was in front of the axles. These are just guesses on my part and I do not know where they hung the new tanks. -Lee
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Jayco has made some modifications in 2011 that may have changed the tongue weight. They changed the front of the trailer to a more aerodynamic shape and went to a 2 tank 90 gallon water system. The placement of these tanks may have changed the tongue weight as the old single 59 gallon tank was in front of the axles. These are just guesses on my part and I do not know where they hung the new tanks. -Lee
We would have appreciated this change a year earlier. Oh well. If it wasn't for buying the Jayco when we did, we wouldn't be at this site, so I think we can deal with it....
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #12

Just moveing the axles forward a few inches can reduce tongue weight.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Just moveing the axles forward a few inches can reduce tongue weight.
Yep, that would make a difference as well.