Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #1

Converter fuses

Thought I would post what could be some helpful advice out here for folks. My good friend and neighbor across the street has a 2009 Jayco Jayfeather bunkhouse. At the beginning of the 2014 camping season after dewinterization he reinstalled the battery and crossed the wires. At some point something happened and his main power would not work right. If he plugged in and turned a light on an audible alarm sounded from the gas detector telling him low power. Also when plugged in the battery would not charge.
He could use a separate charger and charge the battery and that allowed him to camp for a weekend. He made it through the summer and figured he would need to replace his converter.
This last weekend while getting it ready to be dewinterized (we do things a little later here in Alaska) he asked me to look things over. When his problem originally came up he checked all his fuzes, none were blown. He replaced the battery, that didn't last.
So when he asked me to help, I did the same things (sort of trouble shooting). did a gravity test on the battery. checked all fuzes, and breakers. traced wiring. Still the same thing. When plugged in the lights barely light up, the battery won't charge. He was going to take the rig down to a dealer and have it repaired. I told him don't do that. Lets take the converter out and then just go get a new converter.
We removed the fuze and circuit breaker panel to get to the converter. Using a flashlight, and a mirror to inspect the mounting of the converter, there on the side of the converter are two 30 AMP blade fuzes. Tucked in behind and out of site. Both fuzes were blown. Most likely caused from a short when the battery was initially hooked up wrong last summer.
We replaced both fuzes and everything works as it should.

Moderator: if anyone else on other threads are having similar problems please direct them to this post. Most people will not think to remove the circuit breaker/fuze panel to look at the converter. This could save a lot of time and money.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote