Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

Converter problems.

Hello. I am borrowing a 2008 Jayflight G2 from a friend and I am having some power issues. I have it plugged into the shore power from home and all of the outlets are working fine, however I have no power to any lights or the awning.

The battery was dead so I'm charging that now.

My questions are:

shouldn't the battery charge while plugged in?

Where is the converter? I was told by the dealer it could be a converter fuse (all other fuses are fine). Problem is I can't seem to find the converter.

.... I'm sure this is a total noob question.

Btw, I do actually plan on getting a jayco next year
Gallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Gallow. Which model G2 do you have? I don't know if they are the same with all G2 models, but with our 29bhs, I think ours is behind the electrical box under the stove (don't hold me to that though).

BTW what Jayco are considering buying?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #3

I'll check that location. I removed the fuse panel near the stove/sink (think it's a 24 ft), and i never saw another box that had accessible fuses (the dealer stated there would be 3fuses separate from the rest on the converter itself). Is the converter accessible only from te inside?

.... As far as a future TT I was thinking if the JayFeather Sport. I may have the name wrong. It's the 18ft with the "tent trailer-like" bed pop outs.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #4

When you remove the fuse panel, I believe you will see it has some depth to it, like about 5 or 6 inches. Inside that volume, I believe, is the converter. In other words, the fuse panel and converter are the same box. I've never opened mine up, but I'm just going by the pictures in the converter manual. If this is true, you will see the 120 volt shore power connection to this box.

Another thing to consider, if the battery was completely discharged, it may load down the converter output, until it gets some degree of charge on it.

Also, there is a fuse right beside the battery box. This one is in-line with the battery feed wire.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #5

If you have no power to the 12 volt equipment when plugged in, you may have a bad converter. The 12 volt should work when on shore regardless of the battery being installed or dead. There is a 120 volt breaker that feeds the converter, which I believe is about the only thing you can check in that situation.

In a pinch since it is not your trailer, you could fully charge your battery and then hook up a battery charger to it on the outside. That would at least get you through a weekend.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #6

I had the converter go bad on our 2011 G2 25RKS when TT was only 3 weeks old had ac to tv, microwave,and fridge but no lights, awning or slide. but when I hooked up to TV then all the lights and so on worked. but battery would not charge when hooked up to shore power. dealer replaced converter and we were back in business.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. All the fuses looked good so I assume it's a bad converter problem. Until then I've put a small battery charger on it and it's running well for the weekend.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
The 12 volt should work when on shore regardless of the battery being installed or dead.
I have a different view on this point.
A completely drained and dead battery represents a near short circuit. This is a heavy load for the converter. It is possible this condition caused the converter failure. Ideally, the fuse at the battery would protect against this, but maybe not in this case. A look inside the converter would tell the story about how it may have failed. A missing battery on the other hand, is no problem at all.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
I have a different view on this point.
A completely drained and dead battery represents a near short circuit. This is a heavy load for the converter. It is possible this condition caused the converter failure. Ideally, the fuse at the battery would protect against this, but maybe not in this case. A look inside the converter would tell the story about how it may have failed. A missing battery on the other hand, is no problem at all.
That's a good point David. I have never seen more than about 6 amps going to my battery so I am not sure if there is a current limiter or not...I am sitting in my camper and I just popped the fuse cover off and the reverse polarity fuses are indeed 30 amps as you would expect so it is possible, but I would think you would at least see a dim light?? Who knows....dead batteries can do some strange things!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #10

A converter is not dependent on having a battery installed. it should provide 12VDC for everything in the trailer without issue. When a battery is installed and you are connected to shore power, all the converter is doing with the battery is charging it. Even if the Rev Polarity fuses blow, the CV should still provide 12V. If it does not, then the converter is bad. Even a shorted cell in the battery should cause no more of an issue than simply not holding a charge. The output stage of the converter has protection against dead shorts.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
snip..... The output stage of the converter has protection against dead shorts......snip
Yes, I would hope it does, but in my experience, some circuit designers take short cuts, which can lead to field failures. It was my job to clean up their messes.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The output stage of the converter has protection against dead shorts.
The protection is done by shutting down the output of the converter, hence no 12V for the trailer.

A damaged battery that is a near dead short will bring down the whole 12V system. This is not the same failure mode as a battery that will not hold a charge.
xciton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #13

Unhappy same type of issues

HI, I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue. We bought a new battery last spring because our old battery was not working (or so we thought), would not charge up when plugged into either shore power or generators. It could be plugged in for days but once unplugged would barely show anything on the meter, and would run out in a matter of a couple of hours. After we bought the new battery we weren't camping anywhere right away that we needed to use the battery so didn't really think to check it, then when we did need the battery, it was the same thing, wouldn't last, would run out in just an hour or two.

I also noticed about mid way through the summer whenever we would try to plug the camper into the outside plug at the house, it would pop the breaker for that plug, and we'd have to reset the plug, got me thinking there was something wrong. Everything runs fine as long as we have it plugged into the generators, or another plug-in. Could this mean that the converter just isn't charging the battery when we have it plugged into shore power and we need to have it replaced? We have checked all the fuses and they are fine.

HELP please, we really need to figure this out before camping season rolls around again.
fastcatkerry is offline   Reply With Quote