Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Converter question- 2007 Jay Flight JTX

Can anyone tell me where to find it? I'm having trouble with the battery draining, even when plugged into shore power. I replaced the battery, with no luck. Sometimes it charges up, then it drains it back down.

I can't get in to the dealer for 3-4 weeks, and I'd like to take it out before then. I thought I'd try the obvious check first, and see if the converter is working.

Just waiting for my next trip in it.
BRDof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

It should be behind your circut panel. I belive your year is IOTA. The newer units have 3 phase converters in them with smart charging. My friends 08 went bad this past season and we replaced it. Costs range from $100-250 depending on your unit. Are you sure it's bad? Did you put a volt meter on the battery before and after plugging in to service? Also make sure the breaker is on for it to charge. Just and FYI before you rip it all out. You should here a fan cooling if it is under draw with several lights on while plugged in.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #3

Thank you 3. I need to find a neighbor with a volt meter. Will doing what you suggested tell me if the converter is charging?

If it means anything, I pulled the battery and connected to the charger. The charger went down to about 1 volt pretty quickly, so the battery appears to be charged. I don't know why the test panel on the wall shows no charge.

I'd write it all to a bad control panel, but the battery (and its replacement) did drain down on me so I don't think the control panel is simply reading wrong.

I'll try to get to the parts store tonight to have the battery load-tested, too.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #4

I pulled the battery this morning (this is the original) when the control panel said it had no juice. I had it load-tested, which indicated that it was charged and working properly. That tells me the converter is working like it should, but the reading is bad.

So, do I have a short somewhere that is screwing up the reading at the control panel? If so, how do I find it when the wiring is all inside the wall?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #5

BRDof3
I believe the front panel of the display will pop off (a snap fit). I would not be surprised if you find a bad connection inside the display panel, rather than a short somewhere.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #6

By reading I am assuming you mean the panel where your tanks level indicators are and you press the button to read your battery levels. If that is the case those things are notorius for issues and false readings. There are few things you can do. First maybe call Jayco and ask for a wire schematic for your specific unit. That will be your easiest method of finding the leads for that panel to the source. From there you can find where maybe your wire is failing. What you also should do is get a volt meter on your batteries while connected but not plugged in and see where they are sitting at idle since you now know they are good. It should be in the mid to high 12's. Once you plug your unit in then take another reading and see if they jump to 13's or even higher. If not instant then turn on some lights and listen if your converter fan kicks in, then take a reading. If your readings are going up then your converter/charger is working properly and you just have a bad meter or faulty wire. You could just buy a seperate digital dash auto meter or hook up an inverter with 12V input readout which is what I have in mine.

My 2011 unit has the newer 3 stage converter which spikes to 14.4 intially then drops to 13.5 and finally trickle in the mid to high 12's. I can see this on the digital readout on the inverter. It also tells me exactly where I am in total volt output when not hooked up.
12.4V seems to be 3/4 charge on my units device FYI.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 09-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
By reading I am assuming you mean the panel where your tanks level indicators are and you press the button to read your battery levels. If that is the case those things are notorius for issues and false readings. There are few things you can do. First maybe call Jayco and ask for a wire schematic for your specific unit. That will be your easiest method of finding the leads for that panel to the source. From there you can find where maybe your wire is failing. What you also should do is get a volt meter on your batteries while connected but not plugged in and see where they are sitting at idle since you now know they are good. It should be in the mid to high 12's. Once you plug your unit in then take another reading and see if they jump to 13's or even higher. If not instant then turn on some lights and listen if your converter fan kicks in, then take a reading. If your readings are going up then your converter/charger is working properly and you just have a bad meter or faulty wire. You could just buy a seperate digital dash auto meter or hook up an inverter with 12V input readout which is what I have in mine.

My 2011 unit has the newer 3 stage converter which spikes to 14.4 intially then drops to 13.5 and finally trickle in the mid to high 12's. I can see this on the digital readout on the inverter. It also tells me exactly where I am in total volt output when not hooked up.
12.4V seems to be 3/4 charge on my units device FYI.
This seems to be the best reason yet to go get a new toy at Home Depot.

I changed out the in-line fuse off the battery this morning. I couldn't see a fault in the old one, but it is at least 4 years old. The trailer has been plugged in most of the day, with the stereo on softly, and no drop in battery reading. (Yes, it is the panel in the galley with the tank levels and battery readout). If it stays that way, then I can probably blame the fuse or a faulty readout on the panel. I still want to put the volt meter on it, though.

Just curious, how much was your inverter set-up?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #8

The one I have is a Schumacher 700W with the digital readout. It was a gift, but think it runs about 85 bucks. I had one 400W from Target that I dabled with and that went right back due to lack of performance and constant popping of the breakers. Duracell makes almost the same exact one and it is just as good. probaly coming from the same chinese plant. I have had this unit for 3 years and I am very happy with it. Runs all three of my TV's at once which is about 550 W and I can still charge my laptop or phone. It won't run a coffee pot and quite honestly I don't think you would want to unless you are going to go with a battery bank. The smaller ones just are not worth it IMHO. Don't skimp on the wire though. Use a heavy marine or auto 12V wire of the same if not a size more than what is currently running to your battery.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB