Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

Converting Gas Grill

To those of you that have converted their gas grill that uses the small propane bottles to the propane system on your trailer, what did it take to make the conversion. My Jayco has the optional rear bumper grill which will rust out soon. I have a nice portable stainless steel grill that I would like to convert and use the trailer propane supply at the rear of the trailer. If I unscrew the regulator from the stainless steel grill, it has a very small orifice in it. Does that need to be included in the conversion?? What fittings did it take to make the conversion ??
Old 11-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #2

I just changed my Webber Gril over last week and it works perfectly. You will need 2 things, a hose intended for use with LP gas ( all that I have seen already have the 1/4 female connector on one end to attach to your valve on the grill. Depending upon the valve, you may need a short nipple with male threads on both ends. The part i had trouble finding was the Quick Connect that attaches to the fitting on the RV. The one i purchased is manufactured by Camco part #59903. You can purchase on line from a company called "Jet" in the event you can not find it locally. Including shipping, i paid less than $20.00. Please note, there is a similar fitting manufactured by "Mr. Heat" that is too long to properly lock into the female receptical
Hogger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #3

Are you sure it is working perfectly? If you still have the existing valve on your grill and connecting that to your line coming off your Rv, I would think the pressure would be too low. Most conversions I have seen have eliminated the valve at the grill as the line coming from the Rv should already be at low pressure. Maybe I misunderstood.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #4

The orifice on the grill is required to properly mix the LP with the oxygen in the air and produce the correct flame. You are correct in removing the regulator from the valve on your grill. One regulator behind another will not allow sufficent gas.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

The valve only adjusts the flame not the preasure. It also provides a convenient shut off, although the valve at the female connector should be used at the earliest opportunity. The main regulator at the tank or tanks is the only one necessary as a second one would reduce the preasure to an un-useable level.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

To Hogger1

Already having the existing Jayco bumper grill, I can probably salvage the necessary quick disconnect fittings off it. My big question is, do I just hook it directly to the burner, or do I have to use some parts from the old small bottle propane regulator?? When I unscrew the regulator off the old grill it has a very small orifice attached to it. Is that orifice used in the conversion.......Yes I understand that the gas is already regulated once at the camper bottles.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #7

Beginning at the point you would attach a small bottle of LP, you have a regulator (for reducing the preasure coming from the source), a valve which controls the flow which allows you to adjust the amount of flame/heat and finally the orifice which mixes the LP and oxygen. The orifice makes a loose connection to the burner. By removing the regulator from the system, you are allowing the regulator on the main tank's' to do the necessary preasure reduction. Connect the new hose/gas line directly to the valve and the other end of that line to the supply on the back of the trailer. Your grill will work exactly as it did when it was attached to the small can.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #8

There might be some confusion due to the fact that some small bottle grills have the valve and regulator combined into one unit.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
Site Team

Check out the pictures in this thread:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ect-26080.html

I did this to mind minus the 90 degree fitting and it works great with regulated propane.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #10

I also have a Weber Q and was wondering if I could do this. I did NOT get the bumper mount grill. Does anyone know if there is still a propane line I could use on the trailer? I have a 27BHS on order so I obviously cannot check myself.
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #11

Camping World sells a replacement propane control valve with a quick connect fitting. Turn key. No additional parts needed. CW part number 56292 "Heavy Duty Propane Valve With Quick Connect" $16.00 Made by Camco. It was a direct replacement for my grill that used the bottles.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
Camping World sells a replacement propane control valve with a quick connect fitting. Turn key. No additional parts needed. CW part number 56292 "Heavy Duty Propane Valve With Quick Connect" $16.00 Made by Camco. It was a direct replacement for my grill that used the bottles.
Roy did you take tge regulator off your grill while using this part?
Old 01-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #13

Yes, I just unscrewed the original regulator and screwed the replacement in. The threads on the replacement regulator are about 1/2 inch, but my experience indicates that most disposable propane bottle regulators use this same thread.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:18 PM   #14

Thank you, is there any type of Y adapter if I wanted to run a couple things off the line at v the same time? Does every new Jayco have a propane quick disconnect even if the grill is not ordered as an option?