Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

Cool little lights for awning

Ok, I bought these cool little hanging lights for the awning. I have an electric awning. How do I get these lights attached? Do I need to take a ladder with me? How do you attach them? I want to "fit in" at the camp site. hahaha

Kathie
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #2

The last thing you want to do is fit it What fun is that!

A lot of awnings have a track in the roller where little hooks can slide in. I know Camco sells a variety of them - you can even get them at Walmart.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
The last thing you want to do is fit it What fun is that!

A lot of awnings have a track in the roller where little hooks can slide in. I know Camco sells a variety of them - you can even get them at Walmart.

Ok, dumb question here. When I leave the campsite, do I have to take these off or roll them in with the awning?

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Old 06-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #4

Personally I would not. I have the rubber kind and I know I dont want to roll those up. The ones in the picture are a newer fabric style. I have heard folks pull the hooks and leave them in - but again, it concerns me that it might damage the awning material over time.

They are really quick to put in. I keep them in a little container in my outside storage compartment and just slide them on in less than a minute. I use rope lights in mine as they fit perfectly in the little hooks.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #5

I wouldn't roll them up. I got the ones from walmart, 7 in package only takes a minute to slide them in and out.

2007 1500 Silverado
2010 28bhs Jayflight
joefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

I take the hooks out but leave the little rubber/plastic tab in the awning. When I first roll it out I can see an impression where they were, after an hour or so, that goes away. Always left them on with manual awnings as well. Been camping since 1984 when Mom & Dad bought their first camper. We've now had our Jayco w/ the electric awning 2 years.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target View Post
Ok, dumb question here. When I leave the campsite, do I have to take these off or roll them in with the awning?
When I had a manual awning, I left the fabric ones in for years, removing the hooks, and rolling up the rest. No issues. Now I have an electric awning that I can't reach, so no lights. The upside is that when it gets windy, I don't have to go out in the middle of the night and remove the lights.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #8

I wanna see the lights
Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Nah... You don't want to roll up your awning with those metal "S" hooks attached. They could poke holes in your awning and/or damage the fabric and then, you'd be an unhappy camper.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #10

But with the canvas type is it ok to remove the hooks and roll up the canvas part in the awning and just leave that part in always or is it best to remove the entire thing?
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #11

I have always removed the hooks and left the bracket in the tube. I have never had a problem with the last 2 camper I have owned. Just don't forget to remove the hook. Don't ask me how I know this.
PullRite 18k Superglide
Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
Mudflaps Camping Club Website https://mudflaps.freeforums.org
A local camping club for S Al, S Ga, N Fl campers
ldlogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #12

They make some called Rollumups that have no metal hooks and you can just roll them up in the awning, or you could try klippy klips, they are plastic and they clip onto the fabric overhang of the awning & have swivel circles to hang stuff on but you would want to remove them before rolling up the awning, we had them on our pop up they work great for hanging lights & other stuff & I just take them off & keep them in a small container in the outside storage.

2010 Jayco 1206 pup
2011 Jayco 23j (coming in a couple of weeks)
2006 GMC Sierra 2500 crew cab (gas)
elstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post
When I had a manual awning, I left the fabric ones in for years, removing the hooks, and rolling up the rest. No issues. Now I have an electric awning that I can't reach, so no lights. The upside is that when it gets windy, I don't have to go out in the middle of the night and remove the lights.

Tom
oo oo, forgot about the wind. I do not want to go out in my PJs and fuzzy slippers to take them out of the awning. Good Point.
Maybe I can attach the little chili peppers elsewhere on the RV. Gotta look cool, ya know. Even at 60.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldlogue View Post
I have always removed the hooks and left the bracket in the tube. I have never had a problem with the last 2 camper I have owned. Just don't forget to remove the hook. Don't ask me how I know this.
ok, definitely will not ask. lol
Ok, my cool little chili and cactus lights went in the mesquite tree that was next to our trailer.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of them. But the hummingbirds were trying to hit on the red chilis. I felt bad. Next trip a hummer feeder will be hung also. :hihi:

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
I wanna see the lights
lol, will show you my purty little cactus and chili pepper lights on my next trip in Sep. It was funny, I strung them in the tree next to the campsite and the hummers were hitting on the red chili's. Must take hummer feeder with me in Sep. haha

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD