Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #1

Corrosion on siding

We have an '06 27BH.
Last spring I noticed one of the upper pieces of siding had some holes due to the aluminum being corroded through.
There are no scratches, so I assume it has corroded from the inside out.
It's only the one piece at the very top.

I forgot about it until now.

Is this something Jayco would replace or at least send me a new sheet of aluminum to replace it?
Richie_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #2

I doubt Jayco would replace it since it's three years out of warranty. They might be able to sell you new siding to replace the corroded stuff.

Before replacing it, however, you need to find out what caused the corrosion or it will reoccur. My money is a slow leak(s) where the roof meets the siding has left the wood damp, corroding the siding. I'm guessing you will find wood rot under the corroded siding.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

I'll have to call them.
Hopefully, they will sell one piece long enough.
I think that piece goes the full length of the trailer.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #4

Better be sitting down when they quote you a shipping price if it runs the length of the trailer.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
Better be sitting down when they quote you a shipping price if it runs the length of the trailer.
Yeah.
If they will even sell me a piece, maybe we could take camping trip in that area and I could use my trailer to bring it back home......or maybe even swap out the piece in the campground:hihi:
Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #6

We had hail damage to our trailer this year. They were replacing quite a bit of siding. I think they said shipping was going to be over $500. In the end, we decided to not have the camper fixed and took the money and paid the loan off, figure we will take the hit on the dents when we go to sell it. Of course, if we keep it 10 years like we planned, the dents on it won't hurt the value much - if any.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
We had hail damage to our trailer this year. They were replacing quite a bit of siding. I think they said shipping was going to be over $500. In the end, we decided to not have the camper fixed and took the money and paid the loan off, figure we will take the hit on the dents when we go to sell it. Of course, if we keep it 10 years like we planned, the dents on it won't hurt the value much - if any.
Ten years down the line those dents won't even count if the trailer is clean and the interior is not abused. We did a similar thing years ago.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #8

corrosion on slideouts

These are pictures of our slideouts on our 2009 jayflight G2 32 BHDS. Jayco says it is water damage without even looking at it. We have a good friend at camp who repairs campers and says it is from the heater vent. It did seem to get worse after we opened up April 12 of this year and ran the furnace all weekend for 3 weekends.

has this happened to anyone else? Curious to know before for I try to contact jayco customer service at Jayco. (talked to him before) insisted it was water damage even though the dealer says there is not damage inside the camper. YET!!)

there is NO damage of any inside the camper.
taken 5-5-13Click image for larger version

Name:	may 5 2013 (2).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	7752Click image for larger version

Name:	may 5 2013 (3).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	7753Click image for larger version

Name:	may 5 2013 (4).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	7754
taken 5-20-12Click image for larger version

Name:	may 20 2012 (1).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	7755Click image for larger version

Name:	may 20 2012 (2).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	7756Click image for larger version

Name:	may 20 2012 (3).jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	7757Click image for larger version

Name:	may 20 2012 (4).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	7758Click image for larger version

Name:	may 20 2012 (5).jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	7759Click image for larger version

Name:	may 20 2012 (6).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	7760Click image for larger version

Name:	may 20 2012 (7).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	7761
wjmiles60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #9

Jayco wasn't too interested in really providing me with any help.
I had found a place that would sell me a piece of the siding.
I was all set to buy it when we found a park model home and traded our trailer in on it.

Take a look on the inside and see what exactly is behind the spots.
Or check what's in front of them when the slide is closed.
Some of your pictures look like there was some damage that had been repaired.
It may just be the pictures.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #10

Corrosion on siding

I agree with Richie Rich. It looks like this area was repaired at some point in time. It also looks like you have a crack in the fiberglass that has been covered over. Take it to a few repair facilities and get their opinion. Let us know how it turns out for you.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

Sorry took so long to reply. lost the link to the forum. The camper was bought brand new and we replaced the aluminium siding. there was no water damage of any kind and the new ones are doing the same thing. think it has to do with the heater vent between the two slide outs. Was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #12

slide out damage

I have a 2009 32 BHDS that I bought new Feb 2010. Have used my heater in some cold/freezing weather and have not had a problem resulting from the exhaust vent. Within 3 years I found water intrusion in the bottom left front corner of the front slide out. I saw the tips of tiny bits of corrosion in the bottom of the corner. I pulled out the sleeper sofa and cut a 18 by 14 section of the interior wall with a box cutter. Found a rotten section of the floor and lower support strut. Made the repair and sealed the area from the outside with fiber glass cloth and resin. Has worked like a charm and you don't see where I cut the interior wall because the couch hides it.

My bet is that you have water intrusion and specially if that is what Jayco thinks it is. Jayco put a entire new front on my trailer due to concealed water damage Summer of 2013. Water intrusion is the death knell for RVs.

Would like to know what you find to be the cause of your damage.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #13

Where is your heater exhaust?? next to or in between the 2 slides?? We are located in a campground and have noticed that people with the Jay Flights seem to be having the same problem.
For us Jaycos customer service stupidvisor insisted it was water damage even though the service tech (whom we paid $265 to come out) said he found no evidence of water damage and agreed that it was most likely from the heater vent.
The worst part is that the corrosion doesn't happen until the warranty is expired.
Seems this is a problem that needs addressed by Jayco.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:08 AM   #14

corrosion on siding

wjmiles60, what was the resolution on your damage? Was it water intrusion or not? I figure it must have been based on my experience with my 2010 32BHDS J-Flight G2.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #15

Unhappy corrosion on siding

Sorry about my last post. I had miss read wjmiles60's last post. My question has been answered.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #16

I know this has been a while, but had to reply. this trailer was bought brand new. Ordered from Jayco, and not a floor model. Was definitely not repaired or water damage. if you look at the location of the heater vent and the damage you will see what I mean. Also in the last 6 yrs we have seen alot of this from Jay flights