Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #41

Run as fast as you can from those crooks after you try and get your money back.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #42

Sounds like a deposit then, not a down payment. Contract law handles both a little differently. I'd be very curious to see what you signed, but obviously that isn't going to happen. Something just sounds borderline unethical and potentially non-binding / illegal about the deal.

If all of the money details are not disclosed up front, in that paper you signed, it's not binding on you and you can get your money back, legally.

I'd put a stop payment on any funds that haven't already cleared.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #43

The only thing I had to pay for was the battery and battery box.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #44

I've never seen charges like that, and I've bought a few RVs over the years.

Its a little bit of a drive for you, but I bought my last two from The TCRV Team in Traverse City. Its a small family owned place, been in business for a lot of years. They have been great for any repairs.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #45

If this is all part of the bottom line, and the price you agreed to then it seems to be a lesson learned. I would not buy another item from them other than taking delivery of your new travel trailer (TT) then looking into more reputable dealers in your area.

If they are tacking on after the fact, you can cancel most of that stuff and rely on us and youtube for walk throughs. There are some amazing videos out there and a few of ramblers here that can teach you the ins/outs of your camper. Our TT we received 25% discount on parts/accessories/installation bought on delivery day and the walk through was a courtesy as part of the deal.

Also, when are you planning your maiden voyage or driveway test run?
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
If this is all part of the bottom line, and the price you agreed to then it seems to be a lesson learned. I would not buy another item from them other than taking delivery of your new travel trailer (TT) then looking into more reputable dealers in your area.

If they are tacking on after the fact, you can cancel most of that stuff and rely on us and youtube for walk throughs. There are some amazing videos out there and a few of ramblers here that can teach you the ins/outs of your camper. Our TT we received 25% discount on parts/accessories/installation bought on delivery day and the walk through was a courtesy as part of the deal.

Also, when are you planning your maiden voyage or driveway test run?
Not a bad idea. Since almost all of that "check stuff" is covered under your warranty, you shouldn't have to pay for it even in the remote chance that it isn't working. Just be sure you take your Jayco to some other dealer to do the warranty work!

Don't feel bad, we all do things that on further thinking we might have done differently. As Adventures has said, if you've not already paid for this stuff you can cancel it. If it is part of an overall price that you thought was an OK price, you needn't worry about it.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #47

Diesel, How much was your OUT THE DOOR price on your trailer? That is the number that matters. I don't really care how they come to that price, I just care about the price. I think I paid something like $21,300 for my trailer, plus taxes. Now, if they charged me $21,300 for the trailer and included all the rest of that stuff for free... it still cost me $21,300. If they charged me $16,300 for the trailer and $5000 for inspections, batteries, propane, compressed air, setup fees, blinker fluid and blow dry... it still cost me $21,300.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how they come to the bottom line, the only number that matters is the bottom line number.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #48

They didn't check for water leaks - I had fixed 2.
They didn't check the brakes - The emergency brake switch was not connected.
They didn't check the lights - 2 of the running lights are still not working.

Got 2 batteries and 6 gallons of propane for $650. Kind of expensive
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #49

800.00 for a walkthrough? Run, don't walk away from this.

Numerous businesses these days advertise low, basic prices for goods and services but then hit you with "handling", "shipping", "processing", fees, this tax, that fee, and numerous "hidden" costs.

When negotiating, I simply state that I want their best "out the door" cost and an itemized list of what that does and doesn't include. Then if at ANY time, that price changes, I simply walk away.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #50

Diesel,
I was the original shopper who posted the first question on the $800 walk-through and have not only followed all the comments but just for fun, visited 7 different dealers in the area. I also have taught negotiating classes in the past so my original question was to understand the process. Bottom line is that you need to establish two prices, the out of the door cost prior to any taxes, and then taxes. When you get the out of the door cost you can begin to question individual items; make sure they itemize them. Then, ask questions here on the forum. I asked 3 owners of the same model I was purchasing for some "direct" comparision. The dealer totally threw out my $800 walk-through charge (after I walked out) and then we agreed on a battery and battery box; that was it. I only agreed to that because a few of the "old timers" on the forum said it was not unreasonable. I purchased a brake controller and Husky hitch, plus the installation, and those costs were negotiated after I understood the "out the door price." A final thought, I got a "good price" on my unit but was not interested in the cheapest price in the nation. I purchased from a dealer who had multiple service bays and know from experience that your purchase prices affects the relationship you have with the service department long after purchase. If you understand they also need to make a living it helps. I priced my unit from an on-line dealer, then added the delivery charges, and came to within a few hundred dollars (more) than the on-line dealer. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #51

Good information. I appreciate everyone letting me know what is going on with the RV dealers and their pricing structure. It is very good to be a member on this forum, you can fool some of the people but not all of us. There is something very wrong when one dealer is $2500 more for the same unit and then brow beat you into completing the deal. Shame on them....they will never get my signature. What I find very interesting is that I actually live in Middlebury Indiana and sometimes the Mother Ship sends out secret shoppers....you never know who your dealing with.

Diesel
DieselDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #52

OK so same dealer. I built 2017 338rets on Jayco website 54800 msrp dealer msrp 1000 higher(inflated) out the door price 39k including tax. You have to do your homework take 30-35% off and then add tax.Helps if you don't have a trade and cash in hand.
Just ordered mine, they also quoted me a option as standard equipment and then tried to upcharge for the mistake(800.00), that option became nocharge.
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #53

$800 PDI! Ha-ha-ha-ha, can't catch my...Ha-ha-ha-haaaa!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #54

The first place I went to buy my TT they was saying for the PDI was going to be $1,500 dollars but we didn't buy from them.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost of walk through, walk through