Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #1

Question Couple of questions regarding rain

We have a 2015 28 BHBE and spent some time in the rain this past weekend and noticed a couple of things:

1) Water collected in the channel on the inside of the widows on the slide. Is this normal? I can't see where caulking anywhere would improve this and the trim is all good.

2) We had a slide awning installed, but water collects in the middle, stretching the awning. Anyone have any good ideas to keep the water from collecting? I was on the roof 4 times to sweep the water out, and we even tried putting a beach ball under to "tent" the awning, but water just collected on either side.

Thoughts?
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #2

Can't speak to the slide awning (Except to say that story may sway me away from installing one...)

If the water in the windows was from condensation, you should consider adding a vent cover and keeping the vent open to let out the moisture. Again, if it was condensation, there are weep holes at the bottom of the window designed to let that water out. If you can open another window or vent, it helps remove some of the moisture. Some of mine don't work very well, but we've only had a condensation problem once, so I don't worry too much about them.

If it's not condensation, then you have the unenviable task of finding and fixing a leak. I don't get any water in my slide windows except for condensation when it's cold and wet outside and I'm cooped up inside running the heat.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #3

The slide awning should not be sagging , it needs to be adjusted. My slide awning is 5 years old and still tight when extended.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #4

Sounds like to me you have a bad awning or a wrong awning on your slide. I'd have that inspected.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

Sugarray - we just bought the same trailer and I'll be interested to find out which slide awning you got and to all the others in this forum, which is one(s) might you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
We had a slide awning installed, but water collects in the middle, stretching the awning. Anyone have any good ideas to keep the water from collecting? I was on the roof 4 times to sweep the water out, and we even tried putting a beach ball under to "tent" the awning, but water just collected on either side.

Thoughts?
Likz2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

First, if you allow the water to puddle on the slide awning enough it will stretch the awning fabric and you'll never be able stop it.

There are several possible problems with the awning.
1. Not stretched tight enough by the spring in the roller
2. Slope from trailer to edge of awning is too shallow and water does not run off fast enough.
3. Wrong awning.

Possible solutions
1. Bring in slide during rain events.
2. Remount to provide more slope.
3. Install the proper awning.
4. Un-level trailer enough from front to back to force water run off.

Additionally, they make an awning with a mechanism that "tents" the fabric when extended. I've also seen folks put all manner of thing under the fabric to make a "tent". Such as inflatable pillow, swim noodle and just about anything else you can think of.

CAUTION - IF YOU MESS WITH THE AWNING ARMS BE AWARE THEY CAN BE UNDER A LOT OF SPRING TENSION. I KNOW OF AT LEAST ONE PERSON WHO LOST AN EYE TAKING THE SCREWS OUT OF THE SLIDE AWNING ARM BRACKET AND THE SPRING CAUSING THE ARM TO ROTATE WITH A LOT OF FORCE.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote