Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Cover the AC unit.

My TT is stored at the ocean. I noticed another Jayco (2008) owner who stores his at the same place, putting an AC cover over his AC. I asked him about it, and he said he had been doing it for years after having replaced an AC unit on his last TT. I went to my dealer across the street and asked him. He told me not to, that it would trap moisture inside the AC and that it wasn't a good idea. I happened to stop at camping world, and asked there salesman. He said that I should cover it! In driving back from camping world, I went by several camper storage areas, and saw at least 500 TT, and 5th wheels. Not one that I could see as I was driving had a cover over the AC unit. What gives? BTW, I didn't buy a cover.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #2

Here's how I view covering anything on trailer. It the A/C needed to be covered during the winter, the dealerships would have covers on all the units parked on their lot. I've never seen a roof A/C covered on a dealers lot during the winter, let alone the entire tt.
1 Wife
....and empty pockets
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #3

I always cover mine with an A/C cover for the winter. What I don't do is pull the draw string tight around the bottom. I leave it loose so air can get between the cover and A/C unit. Never had it blow off.
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #4

The thing here is the salt air getting to the alum fins on the AC unit. I guess a cover would help some but like you said, most I see in storage has no cover on them. We had a new AC system installed on our home a few years ago and already seeing the corrosion effects from the salt air (we're 2 blocks from beach). I believe there is some spray/corosion protectant you can spray on your compressor/coil to help reduce the negative effects of the weather also.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote