Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #1

Covered Storage?

So I just bought my first trailer. Is it worth paying more for covered outside storage? Obviously covered is better than not covered but by how much? I live in TX so the sun is a beast.
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
So I just bought my first trailer. Is it worth paying more for covered outside storage? Obviously covered is better than not covered but by how much? I live in TX so the sun is a beast.

I think this is a decision that depends on how you see the value of keeping it like new while you own it.

Having traded in 3 campers that were kept under a roof when not in use I can report that it did nothing to add to the trade in value. But it did what I intended to do and that was to keep it looking like new the whole time I owned it. That is personally important to me.

I have a brand new 2016 Pinnacle that is sitting inside a metal building as I type this.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

It really a personal thing. The weather can be really hard on tts. It will weather the unit quicker, faDE fabrics and so forth. I'm up north, so for me snow is a bigger concern. I place my htt in a barn for the winter months. I believe it helps minimize my maintenance, and keep from having water leaks due to ice heaves.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

You will have to replace your roof a few years sooner even if you keep it treated. But the amortized cost on the roof won't equal the increased storage costs.
Your graphics will fade faster and other purely cosmetic issues will deteriorate also - but none of that will effect use.
My biggest concern would be where outside. For one year I rented a space right up next to the storeage building. An incredible amount of oily dirt splashed off that flat roof and was hell to get off the RV.
I've also had to watch ants and other living things, yes even on a paved urban lot. Backed my new 5er onto it usual spot last month and realized the tires were sitting on top an ant hill over a crack in the asphalt.
And then there's the landscape trucks, discussed in another thread.
Oh and the worst was the one year I tried keeping the former TT in the GA pines at my lake place. Those little droppings of pine sap - I invented a few new cuss words!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #5

Round Rock, Texas - covered storage

We store ours under cover because we will trade/sell it before we have to replace the roof for $7000-8000. I figure we will gain 2-3 years and the appearance will get us top dollar.

In a previous life, I was a Licensed Texas Insurance Adjuster. When evaluating a total loss, the RV's condition was paramount. Better condition added value and money for the claimant.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #6

I left my old trailer uncovered for a few years and the sun ate it up. You won't regret covering it.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #7

Spur, I see your in south central TX and with the heat down here, get the covered the heat eats everything. Look around town and the faded paint and cooked clear coats on the cars. S/W sun will do that and more to your trailer, get the tires coverd too!
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #8

Our roof's mfr. says it can withstand the sun, but we still built a shed for it. After five years the whole rig looks as good as new to my eyes. And never a leak. Critters have never been a problem, although I don't know why. We get mice in the house, never in the shed.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #9

Cover it. There are three enemies of every RV... sun, water, vibration. Anything you can do to mitigate any of them is a good thing.

Consider this not only an investment in this RV... but every one you buy moving forward.

Covering it will...
- Keep the roof in better condition longer
- Keep black streaks away longer
- Make wax treatments last longer
- Reduce fade on decals
- Reduce weather rot on tires
- Reduce any mold/mildew from water seeping into the awning roll
- Keep caulked joints in better condition longer
- Keep it clean longer after washing / waxing it

Yes there is an increased cost... but if your time is worth anything to you... it's worth the investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Our roof's mfr. says it can withstand the sun, but we still built a shed for it. After five years the whole rig looks as good as new to my eyes. And never a leak. Critters have never been a problem, although I don't know why. We get mice in the house, never in the shed.
The sun in CO is no comparison to the S/W, TX 90+ NM 97 Phoenix 111 today and will the roof manufacture stand behind leaving it in the sun? Get it covered if you value it.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

My main concern with a trailer is water, quickest way to ruin a trailer is a leak. Being in Texas, I don't think you often have to worry about water. I am fortunate enough to park my camper in my backyard. I paid $2200 and had a metal Carolina Carport installed in my back yard to keep it out of the rain/snow.

I plan to stay in my house for at least 12 years with the carport, so that is less than $200 a year for covered storage. To me, that is a bargain. I don't worry about water. I leave roof vents and windows open so I don't have to worry about humidity levels and mildew smells. I have reflectix in the windows to reduce solar heat gain and UV exposure to the inside. I hope that my trailer will last longer as a result.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #12

I'm on the list for covered storage. Thanks
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
My main concern with a trailer is water, quickest way to ruin a trailer is a leak. Being in Texas, I don't think you often have to worry about water.
I am in Texas and I need a boat to get to my covered storage! Rain we can show you some rain down here!

Glad my storage was on a slight hill everything was high and dry.

Back to OP'S question.

Yes I think covered storage is worth the increased cost here in Texas.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:49 AM   #14
Site Team

Covered storage will reduce wear and tear on your roof anywhere.

Good analogy on amortizing the cost vs paying for it offsite. I feel better, I have had mine for 8 years!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:13 AM   #15

We have covered storage for our fifth wheel and it keeps the rig cleaner, cooler, and protects against the sun, rain, and other debris. It's worth it to me.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
The sun in CO is no comparison to the S/W, TX 90+ NM 97 Phoenix 111 today and will the roof manufacture stand behind leaving it in the sun? Get it covered if you value it.
As a Broncos fan I can't let that pass. I know, you Texans used to have a football team, and I feel your pain and need to have SOMETHING to brag about.

But consider this: At high altitude, the ultraviolet rays from the sun are more intense and therefore more damaging. Even when it is cloudy, the risk of sunburn is extreme.

My TT rests at 9000'! And besides, my Ford truck can beat your... Oh. Well, you got the truck part right!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
My main concern with a trailer is water, quickest way to ruin a trailer is a leak. Being in Texas, I don't think you often have to worry about water. I am fortunate enough to park my camper in my backyard. I paid $2200 and had a metal Carolina Carport installed in my back yard to keep it out of the rain/snow.

I plan to stay in my house for at least 12 years with the carport, so that is less than $200 a year for covered storage. To me, that is a bargain. I don't worry about water. I leave roof vents and windows open so I don't have to worry about humidity levels and mildew smells. I have reflectix in the windows to reduce solar heat gain and UV exposure to the inside. I hope that my trailer will last longer as a result.
Anyway you can post up some details/pics on your carport? Which dealer did you go through? I have been considering having something built to keep our new camper parked under and $2200 sounds great. Thanks.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #18

Just Google Carolina Carports. They have a website where you design your building exactly like you want it and it prices as you go. Lots of pictures.
They have dealers all over the south but it really doesn't matter who you use. They are really just reps who take the order. The price is standardized and the company sends an install crew from the factory.
If you don't live in the S. E. there are dozens of companies all over the U. S. that build almost identical steel garages and buildings. It's a highly competitive industry.
Many companies including VersaTube will even ship you a prefab kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #19

Hey buddy. Yes I have googled. Spoon and I are not too far apart location wise and his trailer is just a hair longer. Just curios what specs he went with and if he was happy. Maybe he could have went smaller or wished he went bigger..? Pics of his setup with camper inside would be helpful.,,
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:02 AM   #20

I got my Carolina Carport through Alans Factory Outlet. Mine is 31' by 18', with 10' leg height.

I wish i had gotten 34' foot long thou, but i didn't have the room where I'm parked. I needed the extra room to get tractors out next to it... the additional 3' would have been too much. There is a small hill behind the camper, i already had to regrade it some to fit the camper, didn't want to mess with it too much more to try to get that additional 3 feet.

Other than being just a little too short, it's perfect. Wide enough to have my slide open, wide enough to keep my windows open for cross ventilation even in the rain.

Keeps everything dry so it's easy to load or unload, even in the rain. Keeps the sun of the roof for cooler temps.

Very nice product, i thought the price was reasonable too. I wish i had enough room to get it a little longer, that is my only complaint.

I don't have any pics right now. The trailer is at the dealer currently to fix a leaking bathtub drain... I'll try to get pics when i get it back next week. Send me a pm to remind me next week.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote