Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Covering Travel Trailer for Winter

Should I buy a cover for it? We get a lot of rain, and freezing rain here and some snow. Lots of minus 20 days. I am storing the trailer on a gravel bed next to the house so one side will be sheltered.

I was looking at the tyvex or aquashed covers that camping world sells.

I do not think with the amount of wind we get here that a temporary garage would survive the winter.

We have enough wind that we held the sailing for the olympics in Montreal here.

Thanks again,

:Canada: Steve, Carrie, 1 kid, 2 awesome boxers :Canada:
2010 F150 Screw 4*4 with max tow package
2011 Jayco X 26 P
Days camping in 2013 - 33 so far
2 more 3 or 4 day trips planned.
salexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
I picked up one of the tyvek covers from camping world, and I've been very happy with it. It generally only takes us 10 min to take it on or off. It also has nice zippers to let us get in while it's still covered. We store it under a tree, so I wanted to keep the sap and birdstuff off the roof. If nothing else, it has done a fantastic job of keeping UV fading to a minimum. Our decals are still bright like the day we got it.

I keep our 25G covered any time it's not in use. Over the winter I have both the tyvek cover on, and then I put another heavy-duty tarp over it on top of the tyvek. You'll get other opinions on this, as there are concerns about venting and some have had issues with a tarp wiggling in the wind and wearing / rubbing the corners of the camper. I've not had issues with either of those things.

My $.02 - but I always cover all my toys - never leave them to the elements.

ringneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
I also have a Tyvek cover and I agree with ringneck I keep my TT covered when not in use. I don't double cover it.
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel
2013 Jayco Whitehawk 26DSRB
US Army
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
I have a cover for our 5th wheel. I use it to keep the sun off of it in the summer time. As soon as the weather cools and all the leaves fall of the trees I will pull it off for the winter. We dont get snow and the rain wont hurt the tt but I am concerned about the wind whipping the cover and wearing on the edge of the roof.
2012 Jayco Eagle 321RLTS
2008 Dodge Cummins 3500 DW Crew Cab 4x4 6 speed Auto, Exhaust Brake
rwilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
I have used Tyvek covers on all my TT's, since they are so easy to install and they do a great job protecting the trailer form the ice, snow and rain we get in the northern area of NY. There are different versions for the elements and I too picked mine up at Campingworld, but be sure to wait for their sales to save an added 30%.

I had used tarps on my original Jayco popup but I noticed that they never fit well enough and billowed to let water, snow and ice in. Since upgrading to the dedicated Tyvek covers the coverage is much better and provides more piece of mind during the winter.
2011 Jayco 36BHDS
Seasonal Site Location
Upstate New York
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
The dealer told me not to cover the trailer because it would dull the paint from the rubbing. Is that true?
sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Dealer told me not to cover the trailer because it would dull the paint, is that true?
sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
If you do not have a tight, snug fitting cover, the wind can cause the cover to chaf the corners of the tt. It happened to my neighbor's trailer. If the cover fits tightly all over the trailer, then you're good. I had a cover for my old trailer. This one will not get covered. They sit out on a dealer's lot or the manufacturer's lot uncovered. You will find two schools of thought on covering, and God only knows which is correct. I guess it really comes down to personal preference.
2010 Silverado 5.3 3.73 EC Superchip, AEM Air Intake
2013 Jayflight 26RLS
2 Fur daughters
1 Wife
....and empty pockets
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
For what it is worth. We have never covered any units since buying our first TT in 1977. They all survived summers and winters with no damage. My biggest concern about a cover is heavy snow or ice. If it is covered how would you remove it from off the unit? Something I have done many times over the last 35 years using a roof snow rake. (plastic)
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Just get an AC cover to keep water from getting in and freezing. The roof will be fine if you clean in the fall and spring with a little spic and span and some elbow grease.

MrKong is offline   Reply With Quote