Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #1

Cupboard doors separating

Looked at my trailer today for my monthly check, checking for mice, leaks etc. notice the cupboard door under sink was looking funny, tried to close it but it was totally miss aligned. Then looked at other cupboards and noticed they are all separating... Never had this issue during storage for 2 other winters. No major changes in weather, trailer is stored level/flat. Tires are still full of air. Don't know why this happened? Going in on Saturday for warranty.
Any one have any ideas how this could have happened??
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #2

There are two possible causes. First, the factory may not have glued the joint properly, so the joint came apart. This is easily corrected by working some wood worker glue into the joint and clamping the door to pull everything together while the glues sets up.

Second cause is a bit harder to handle. Your door has a solid wood panel (not plywood) Wood expands across the grain as it increases in moisture. When you make doors like this there needs to be some clearance between the edge of the panel and the bottom of the groove holding the panel in the frame. If this clearance isn't sufficient, when the panel expands due to moisture in the air, it will expand and put tremendous pressure on the door frame resulting in the type of failure you have. The only way to permanently fix this is to take the door apart and create more clearance. A not so permanent fix is to control the moisture levels in tour RV at a low level.

A cabinet maker that make their own doors can probably fix this for you.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #3

X2 with what us71na said. I'm leaning towards not enough clearance between the panel and the frame.

Were the doors ok when you checked the month before?

Do you keep windows cracked open or ceiling vents partially open?

Any excessive moisture with the weather the month before? Hopefully no leaks causing this to happen.

High humidity and moisture are not friends to RV's. Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #4

i leave my roof bent open(Max air cover) half way for fresh air, I also control the moisture with Dri-zorb. Doors where ok last month when I checked, and weather has warmed up since then.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

Skaling, possibly your Dri-zorb isn't controlling the moisture level in your TT. Especially if you have had a lot of rain, etc. within the last month.

Is your TT in storage? If not, you could, and the weather is warm enough, run your roof A/C to remove some of the moisture.

Wireman
Having the dealer look at it is your best option right now.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #6

That condition is caused from excessive humidity. If it were on just one door, I would conclude that the door was made incorrectly but if it is happening to most, or all of the doors tells you it's a humidity situation. Do you have your tt covered this year?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
That condition is caused from excessive humidity. If it were on just one door, I would conclude that the door was made incorrectly but if it is happening to most, or all of the doors tells you it's a humidity situation. Do you have your tt covered this year?
yes, this was the 1st winter i covered it... with a good quality "breathable" cover..
Old 03-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
yes, this was the 1st winter i covered it... with a good quality "breathable" cover..
My guess is that it's not breathable enough. Not trying to be facetious (word for the day), just sayin'.

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 03-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #9

My doors have been separating like that for the last two winters.
My dealer said Jayco does not use glue.
I am now out of warranty, but my dealers is going to glue them for me at no charge.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #10

I had one separating on me and they replaced it under warranty the said it was sort of common
Old 03-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #11

door

i haven't had a door separate but I had one that was warped. I did have a few end caps on my bedroom wardrobe slide fall apart, no leak anywhere, just cheap press wood that Jayco used.
Here is the gap in the pantry door

Here is the slide trim

Oh yea, and the cheap carpet trim they use also.

I'm glad Jayco has a 2 year warranty because i used it almost everytime I went out for the first 2 years.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpica15 View Post
My doors have been separating like that for the last two winters.
My dealer said Jayco does not use glue.
I am now out of warranty, but my dealers is going to glue them for me at no charge.
They do use glue on the stiles and rails (a rail is what is separating) they do not use glue on the raised center panel. As said before this panel is floating and does not get glued in. Typically a space ball or small pieces of tubing is placed in the groove before the center panel is positioned. This hold the panel tight so it does not rattle but, does not stop if from moving with humidity etc. It is possible that the joint was starved of glue (should be able to see this) . Jayco purchases doors from a door mfg in Indiana. I doubt very much it is a panel that does not have adequate space to move. I agree humidity is most likely the cause. It should not be a huge fix from your picture. As said put wood glue in the joint, clamp it lightly, wiping off any glue squeeze out
Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
space ball.
I love that movie

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 03-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #14

I had several doors whose joints separated. All I did was force some wood glue into the joints and clamp them till dry. The problem has not re-occurred.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #15

Sure looks like a lack of glue. But why. Another quality control issue, lazy workers, etc.

Is the RV industry just like GM, Ford, & Chrysler were in the 70's building cars?

It doesn't give me any reason to believe Jayco is any different than the other builders. Not really trying to be negative but this kind of workmanship ruffles my feathers. Look at joe in calif post. No excuse for some of this.

I know it happens on all types and prices of RV's. My new 2003 Monaco had a roof leak that soaked the carpet.

A 2 year warranty will help. Still waiting for my 23RLSW delivery and praying for minimal problems.

Wireman
Old 03-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #16

when you buy sublet from vendors you have to question quality control
Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Is the RV industry just like GM, Ford, & Chrysler were in the 70's building cars?
No. The RV industry really isn't like any other business. Kinda like a home on wheels

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 03-13-2016, 11:32 PM   #18

You also have to understand the huge changes in humidity happening, sometimes many times a week. Wood moves, it's always going to move, Should doors separate no, but do doors separate yes. Even in AC humidity controlled stick homes. You take a unit, that pulled down the road, shifting and bouncing. Then heat it, cool it, take showers in close confinement, heat it again, cool it again, take into the woods, by water then drag it home close it up for weeks at a time and then do it all over again.. Yea I expect lots of movement, it's not lack of quality, or poor workmanship its very extreme usage. Squirt some wood glue in the joint, clean the glue off, clamp it and move on with your life. If you don't something maintenance free, well.. RVing may not be for you, or boating, or 100 other things.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been there seen that. I made doors, cabinets etc, not for RV's but for homes. We make sure the wood is dried correctly, glue and space balls are all done exactly correct, but. wood will move, I can guarantee that. Nothing anyone can do will change that. It's why we use "cheap press wood" (actually high quality, expensive material) for some applications. When we painted doors we used MDF, it moves less than solid wood. We also used one piece MDF and had CNC's that would carve a raised panel in it... much more expensive than "real wood" but also more stable.

Sorry for the rant. This is normal, and actually they have very few issues with this happening. I live in the desert I take my TT to the mountains.. then I come back to the desert. I make sure my humidity is controlled as much as possible. I place water inside when it's stored in the heat, it helps. I have only had a door or two that separated, took me less than 5 minutes to fix it. I was and still am happy with my Jayco, they give me a good unit at a very reasonable price. . I make mods to make it mine, I fix minor things when they happen, I look at that as part of the "fun" of owning an RV. I don't expect, nor did I pay for perfection, which is not possible anyway. I know my wallets limit and I know the limits of products.

JMHO. I apologize if I offended anyone.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:22 AM   #19

Quote:
They do use glue on the stiles and rails (a rail is what is separating) they do not use glue on the raised center panel. As said before this panel is floating and does not get glued in. Typically a space ball or small pieces of tubing is placed in the groove before the center panel is positioned. This hold the panel tight so it does not rattle but, does not stop if from moving with humidity etc. It is possible that the joint was starved of glue (should be able to see this) . Jayco purchases doors from a door mfg in Indiana. I doubt very much it is a panel that does not have adequate space to move. I agree humidity is most likely the cause. It should not be a huge fix from your picture. As said put wood glue in the joint, clamp it lightly, wiping off any glue squeeze out
Good Luck.
Space Balls.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:26 AM   #20

Quote:
You also have to understand the huge changes in humidity happening, sometimes many times a week. Wood moves, it's always going to move, Should doors separate no, but do doors separate yes. Even in AC humidity controlled stick homes. You take a unit, that pulled down the road, shifting and bouncing. Then heat it, cool it, take showers in close confinement, heat it again, cool it again, take into the woods, by water then drag it home close it up for weeks at a time and then do it all over again.. Yea I expect lots of movement, it's not lack of quality, or poor workmanship its very extreme usage. Squirt some wood glue in the joint, clean the glue off, clamp it and move on with your life. If you don't something maintenance free, well.. RVing may not be for you, or boating, or 100 other things.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been there seen that. I made doors, cabinets etc, not for RV's but for homes. We make sure the wood is dried correctly, glue and space balls are all done exactly correct, but. wood will move, I can guarantee that. Nothing anyone can do will change that. It's why we use "cheap press wood" (actually high quality, expensive material) for some applications. When we painted doors we used MDF, it moves less than solid wood. We also used one piece MDF and had CNC's that would carve a raised panel in it... much more expensive than "real wood" but also more stable.

Sorry for the rant. This is normal, and actually they have very few issues with this happening. I live in the desert I take my TT to the mountains.. then I come back to the desert. I make sure my humidity is controlled as much as possible. I place water inside when it's stored in the heat, it helps. I have only had a door or two that separated, took me less than 5 minutes to fix it. I was and still am happy with my Jayco, they give me a good unit at a very reasonable price. . I make mods to make it mine, I fix minor things when they happen, I look at that as part of the "fun" of owning an RV. I don't expect, nor did I pay for perfection, which is not possible anyway. I know my wallets limit and I know the limits of products.

JMHO. I apologize if I offended anyone.
If a panel door is properly made, it will not come apart, no matter how much the humidity and temperature swings. A properly glued joint will split the wood before the glue line fails.