Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

Question curbside dinette?

Have been hearing alot of talk about curbside dinettes. Are there benefits to this? Is this something i should consider when looking to buy? Most dinettes i see are on the other side.
rickfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #2

My oppinion -- you see less curbside dinettes in trailers with slides because the slide is often on the road side. To me it is a lot better to put a dinette and or couch in the slide vs a kitchen. Having a kitchen in the slide means plumbing and gas lines are moving/flexing everytime the slide is extended or retracted. For me it was much more important to not have the kitchen in a slide vs a preference as to what side the dinette is in.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

I agree with clubhouse about not having the gas and water lines in the slide. However, in a smaller trailer like my 24RKS, the couch, pantries, and wardrobe are in the slide and we have a curbside dinette. I like it for 1 reason. We spend 4 weeks away from home on family business and the campground we stay at has back to back sites. With our old trailer, the dinette was in the slide and the big picture window was looking at another trailer 4 feet away. Now with the curbside dinette, we are looking at the front of a trailer that is about 25 ft away. We stay at that campground because it is the most convenient to what we have to do and we liked/like both the old and new owners.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #4

What i have heard is most curbside dinettes allow you to look at your campsite and not your neighbors. Do you find this to be true at most campgrounds you have been to? Some have written that is why curbside is a must for them.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfriday View Post
What i have heard is most curbside dinettes allow you to look at your campsite and not your neighbors. Do you find this to be true at most campgrounds you have been to? Some have written that is why curbside is a must for them.
Although I prefer a curbside dinette, I would not make a decision on what trailer I buy based on that. Storage, counter space, dressing space and things like that are much more important to me than what side the dinette is on. If all of those are equal then I would get the layout with the curbside dinette.

Ask yourself these things. In a campground with back to back sites, would you rather be looking at the backside of a trailer 4 feet from you or the front of the trailer 20+ feet away. In a campground with the "normal" layout, would you rather be looking at the backside of the next trailer and all the hookups or the front and the people having lunch at the picnic table.

My new 24RKS is the 3rd RV that I've had with a curbside dinette and I've had about 9 RVs. I have never thought about this before reading this question.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #6

When we look at trailer floor plans we looked for trailers with a good "conversation" area. We found that trailers with a curb side dinette had the couch on the opposite side. When you are stuck in a trailer due to bad weather or have guests over this is a plus. My wife calls floor plans with the dinette and couch next to each other "bus stop seating". Someone always has their back to the people sitting on the couch, and also often makes for difficult tv watching. Now that I am aware of this it makes good sense. I wish more trailer manufactures would offer floor plans like this. Here is the floor plan of our trailer.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #7

With a curbside dinette when you back in to a spot on the curbside your dinette will be looking at your site. On the street side you'll be looking at the CG road you came in on.
In an RV park/St park type CG with the curbside dinette you'll be looking at your neighbors hookup side. With a street side you'll be looking at their picnic side. We prefer curbside dinettes so we can lookout at our site. It really depends on what type of camping you're doing and what type of spots you like. On pull thru's with a curbside you'll look at your site. With street side you'll be sitting right at the edge of the CG road. Not really very interesting IMO.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfriday View Post
My wife and I do find that to be true. With the 28BHS floor plan you have a big picture window right in front of the dinette and it allows you to view your campsite. Also with the 28BHS the couch is literally right across from the dinette which allow you to sit on the couch and look out directly at the campsite which we enjoy.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #9

Lightbulb curbside dinette

Curbside dinette conversations very enlightening. Thanks for some great isideas as what to look for in a TT.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #10

x2