Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #1

de-winterizing tips...

Hey everyone this is my first time de-winterizing my 26BH Jayflight I was wondering if any of the veterans had any tips? Thanks
Tbeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #2

Make sure the water heater by-pass is reversed to normal and make sure the water heater is full before you turn it on.

Turning on a water heater that is empty in the gas mode will ruin it and turn it into scrap metal very quickly. Turning it on in the electric mode will toast the heater element causing a repair that is a PITA as a minimum.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Also follow the fresh water system sanitizing instructions in your manual after you have flushed the antifreeze out of the system.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #4

Purge the propane system. start w/ the stove, then the heater....lastly, try to light the pilot on the HW Heater (if it's gas ....and your sure it's full of clean water)
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

dont forget to purge the antifreeze from the outside shower also.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

X2 on all of the above. For me, I doubled the bleach to water ratio (just like the manual suggested) so your sanitizing time frame is shortened to 1 hour.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #7

This has nothing to do with de-winterizing but when you winteriz your TT I read somewhere that you are not to put antifreeze in the water heater. How do you make sure that the water heater is sanitized?
Tbeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeuler View Post
This has nothing to do with de-winterizing but when you winteriz your TT I read somewhere that you are not to put antifreeze in the water heater. How do you make sure that the water heater is sanitized?
You need to open your by-pass valves so that you can fill the water heater with bleach water when you bleach the rest of your water system. Shower hoses, toilet water line, etc. all have to have bleach in them to sanitize the water system.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #9

To add another thought, I dewinterized and then sanitized and then decided to blow out all mine lines because I might get a 30 or 31 degree night from time to time.

Having learned from last year, when doing this - if you first trip is without city water, make sure you turn on your pump while filling your fresh water tank so the water heater and lines are full or you won't have as much water in the tank. Learning from experience.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #10

Hi The way that I de-winterize my trailer is, I first fill my water tank with a bleach (unscented) water mix I the allow it to sit for a couple of hours to sanitize the Whole tank then I open up my hot water by pass and start the pump by turning on the breaker while keeping the breaker to your hot water heater off. Then I open up the farthest out let which is for me is the outside shower HOT FIRST this will draw water into the hot water tank. As soon as all the air is out of the line and it stops sputtering then the tank is full I then open up the cold and all the rest of the lines until they run clear Now all lines have bleach water in them. I then shut of the pump close all the lines and let it sit for a couple of more hours Finally its drain and rinse till all the bleach is gone PS a little bleach water won’t hurt you if you look at most health department rules you will see that to hand wash dishes in a restaurant you give a second rinse to them using a mild solution of bleach water.
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #11

de-winterizing tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhere View Post
Hi The way that I de-winterize my trailer is, I first fill my water tank with a bleach (unscented) water mix I the allow it to sit for a couple of hours to sanitize the Whole tank then I open up my hot water by pass and start the pump by turning on the breaker while keeping the breaker to your hot water heater off. Then I open up the farthest out let which is for me is the outside shower HOT FIRST this will draw water into the hot water tank. As soon as all the air is out of the line and it stops sputtering then the tank is full I then open up the cold and all the rest of the lines until they run clear Now all lines have bleach water in them. I then shut of the pump close all the lines and let it sit for a couple of more hours Finally its drain and rinse till all the bleach is gone PS a little bleach water won’t hurt you if you look at most health department rules you will see that to hand wash dishes in a restaurant you give a second rinse to them using a mild solution of bleach water.
The only problem with opening the bypass valve right away is you are running all the antifreeze thru the water heater. I flush the lines really well first, then I open the hot water bypass. Just my thoughts.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #12

HI jaco 228 GREAT POINT. Not sure if I got my routine mixed up or what but I will remember this Happy Camping.
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote