Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
I plugged my tow vehicle into the trailer without the battery in it and everything worked fine, so my tow vehicle is putting out power, I installed the battery after a 2 day slow charge at 2 amps, the battery indicator in the trailer registered full, I unhooked the battery cable and will check in a couple days to see if it will hold a charge, If not I guess I will need a new battery, Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will look into a battery disconnect anyway.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
. I have had the battery on a trickle charger for a day and used a hydrometer on it and only 1 ball out of 4 floats, so I guess the battery is bad.
Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it
A trickle charger will not recharge a dead battery.. they are for maintaining your battery...

2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
I have only recovered a couple of times in my lifetime bringing back a dead battery to life. This is was done with a low level long term charge like the trickle chargers produces. Then if I see any possible life coming back then I start increasing the charge voltage to draw more amps in an effort to burn off the core build-up. I am guessing not many batteries will recover once this happens. They are toast...

If I would hit a shorted out battery with a bunch of voltage at once the battery would get extremely hot and might even blow-up on you. I would think coming up as slow as you can would be the best method to try to recover a bad battery.

I am old enough to remember the battery charging tactics in the early 50s where the big thing was a ONE HOUR charge using about 25-50 VOLTS DC rated at over 100AMPs. Those batteries in those days almost looked cherry red as hot as they got. I saw one blowup at a gas station once and the battery top blew up over the garage. Not a pretty scene... That was the designated way to charge batteries back then.

Last spring I lost one of my 85AH standard issue Interstate Deep Cycle batteries. I had just picked up one of the good Black and Decker VEC1093DBD smart mode battery chargers and I tried and tried to recover the Interstate battery over a weeks time. At one point I thought I had it trying to recover but to no avail. It would never get higher than about 5.5VDC state of charge. I had good bubbling of fluids in all cores cap except one. I suspect that was the shorted out core. I even tried the battery tilt method as well trying to burn off the particles.

Roy Ken

Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote