Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Dead battery

I purchased a new J Feather 7 a few weeks ago and put it in storage. When I visited it this past weekend the battery was dead. I'm fairly certain I turned off all electronics before I stored it (lights, ref ridge, stereo). Did I miss something?
freebirdbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Team

There is a 30 amp main fuse by the batteries that supplies voltage to the TT. If you do not pull that fuse, the fridge circuit board, radio circuit board and the CO detector still use power. You need to pull that fuse or put in a disconnect switch to break the circuit between the battery and the TT. It will take about a week to kill your battery.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

I wish someone told me about this when I bought my trailer last season I installed a cutoff switch in the battery box for next season and am also looking into a low voltage cutoff to protect the new battery that I buy. It only takes one incident discharging your battery too low to ruin it, I think the low voltage cutoff is going to be worth the $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
There is a 30 amp main fuse by the batteries that supplies voltage to the TT. If you do not pull that fuse, the fridge circuit board, radio circuit board and the CO detector still use power. You need to pull that fuse or put in a disconnect switch to break the circuit between the battery and the TT. It will take about a week to kill your battery.

Don
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #4

That sounds like me. Would have been a great tip when I bought it. Thanks.
freebirdbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #5

And battery cut-off switches really ought to be standard equipment (in my humble opinion).
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #6

the power boaster for the TV drained my battery the first week I had my trailer.
bigcuzauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:44 AM   #7

Thats why mine stays plugged in at home. First thing I ever did when I bought my first unit years ago was put in its own outdoor outlet! Never had to replace a battery in all these years in one of my rigs.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #8

Pulling the fuse may be a good thing But anytime my TT is in storage I also remove the battery and place it inside of the TT or leave in inside of the TV.
Out of sight out of mind.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Pulling the fuse may be a good thing But anytime my TT is in storage I also remove the battery and place it inside of the TT or leave in inside of the TV.
I'm with you on this one. I keep the battery in my garage over the winter months, and hook it up to a trickle charger once a month, just to keep it tip-top. Also a security issue - it's a little hard to steal a battery from an empty box. Meanwhile the TT itself is plugged into shore power for those occasions when I need to get in it for maintenance, etc., over the winter.

Roger

P.S. And you're right up the road from me!

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Except I would be hesitant to leave a flooded cell 12V in an enclosed space, especially the TV. I keep mine in my garage (which gets plenty of ventilation) on a float charger. It's always charged up, and it's not going to grow legs.

Also, simply pulling the fuse may not isolate the battery from the trailer. Mine had a circuit breaker AND a 30A fuse up front; the 30A fuse is ONLY for the power tongue jack (I replaced this fuse with another circuit breaker when I upgraded my jack). So check how you're wired up front before you simply grab the fuse and call it good, or you'll still come back to a discharged battery. IMO, a disconnect switch is second best to actually removing the battery.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #11

There are a few phantom draws on the battery. For me it takes about two weeks for me to notice the battery level dropping. You might able to bring the battery backup. It might have been damaged slightly or majorly. For sure you have shortened the life. Give it a try, it will take an all-day charge using the on board charger to know if it will hold a charge. Once off the charger let it site for an hour our two to stabilize and use a volt meter. A strong battery should be able to hold a 12.66V charge. Good car repair shops can do a hydrometer test on each cell can tell you for sure what the health is. My local auto shop did it on my old trolling motor battery for no charge.

When we leave the HTT for any amount of time I disconnect the battery. Just make sure things like the electric tongue jack is also disconnected too. A battery disconnect switch is handy as you do not have to open the battery cover everytime.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote