Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #31
I have two bags of Camco leveling blocks, and they come in handy. Like said, don't put more than a turn or two on the stabilizers - level with blocks and tongue jack. I use a small level on the floor in the middle to level it.

I put a little grease on my ball and the head end of the WD bars - not the sway control part (per Reese direction). My 2 year old is always getting grease on him (and Dad too)...

Not to open the TV discussion back up, but we towed ours with a 2006 Tahoe last year and it did ok. I bought a 2010 Silverado crew cab this spring and the longer wheelbase tows so much better! And the 6 speed transmission is way better than the 4 speed in the Tahoe.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #32
The lynx blocks did great, and the tip on hand tight plus 1-2 turns was awesome. I appreciate that. The grease on the WD bars helped the noise. I also took the tip and leveled it out really well using the floor infront of the fridge, then put stick on levels on LF and RR. Thanks again.

I do not at all doubt that longer wheel base feels better. On a side note, the short wheel base was handy for getting backed into a tight spot..haha. I was verrryyy impressed with the little Explorer though. My first trip was about 15 miles of highway and 4-5 miles or narrow lane, curvy hills, and it was pretty darn smooth. The 3.5 ecoboost with six speed auto has more than enough guts. I really feel that the Explorer (power wise) pulled this TT better than our 2003 Tahoe pulled a utility trailer with camping gear (about 3000# total). According to CAT scales I'm within 20# of unloaded weight on front axle and still under gross on rear axle by 250# or so. DW and I have concluded most trips will be a caravan with DD's and luggage in the Jeep Liberty, simply because on the scales I'm right at Combined GVWR without the DD's. I'm a generally cautious person. But I have to be honest, as good as it pulled, I'm darn tempted to just load up and go. I know if I did I'd be over on Combined GVWR, but it would be over on the trailer, not on the TV axles. But, I suppose to be cautious, we'll caravan. We did talk about a bigger TV, I have a 95 F-150 I could sell off. But if I have to give up my little pick up, I want to be sure I have enough. The 26BH has a max gross of 7000# combined with 1000-1500# of passenger/cargo in the TV, I'd need a 3/4 ton chassis to know I was good to trailer max, and to carry the whole family (6-7 people) So, that puts me in a 3/4 Suburban (hard to find) or an Excursion. Or a heavy van I guess. We'll just see how bad caravaning turns out.

2015 Jayco 26BH
1996 F350 SRW, 7.3 PSD, Crew Cab, 8' Bed, 3.55 gears (the beater, and TV)
2015 Explorer Sport 3.5L EcoBoost, AWD, and Tow PKG (Kid hauler, and ambitious TV)
2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
finally03gt is offline   Reply With Quote