Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #11

You've evidently read my earlier posts about putting the 3" MF (Memory Foam) mattress topper underneath the Denver mattress - like a box spring. Doing this eliminates the problems others have described: too warm, trapping moisture, slow response, feeling the plywood under the mattress. I trimmed the 3" MF to fit the short-queen length with an electric carving knife.

Since my trailer is a 2013, it didn't come with the Denver Pillow Top; just the standard Denver Mattress. I also put a 1" corrugated foam rubber mattress topper on top of my mattress to make it a pillow top. This combination is the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on! Since you already have the pillow top, you won't need the extra 1" corrugated foam on top. Just a standard mattress pad/cover.

I full-time, so I sleep on my bed every night. After 6 months, the mattress did develop a sag where I sleep. I just turned it 180 degrees, so now, the sag is under the dog. (He doesn't seem to mind.) When the next six months is up, I'll flip the mattress over, and check to see if the MF needs to be flipped, as well. Just like you'd do with your mattress at home.

I'd strongly urge all those who don't like the Denver Mattress, and who aren't happy with memory foam on top, to give memory foam under the mattress a try. What have you got to lose?

2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
I like this place for toppers and new mattresses. Their 5pound foam is on par IMO with temperpedic. You can order a custom sized mattress from them or just a topper and the prices are very reasonable. Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.

2015 Jay Flight 28BHBE
upgrading from Palomino Yearling 4102 Popup
2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4x4 full tow package
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #13
I appreciate everyone's help and, yes, Brownie, I did read where you put the memory foam under the mattress which makes sense to me. I think I'm going to buy a 2" foam pad to put under the mattress but not take it out of the package until we do a trial run of sleeping on it. We may end up thinking it's great the way it is. If so, I can take the pad back and nothing is lost. If we end up sleeping miserably, I'll have the pad along to see if that helps. I'm doing the 2 inch which I know isn't much but I hate to make the bed any higher than it already is.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm still open to suggestions.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #14
Im curious about one thing related to RV bedding. It seems customary just to provide a mattress on top of plywood. You would never like sleeping on that at home so why would that be normal for a trailer. It would seem having box springs would make the beds comfortable. Sure it adds weight, but the benefit is a bed that actually feels like a bed. Why dont they use box springs on trailer beds?
2015 Jayflight 23MB, 2007 Ford F150
ruswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #15
Wow, I had no idea that there were so many negative comment on the Denver Matress. We have a Tempur-Pedic at home and prior to our Jayco we had a Forest River and a Heartland. By far I found the King Denver mattress in our TT to be the best we have ever come across. I have a bad back and I get a much better sleep in the TT on the Denver mattress than at home on the Tempur-Pedic.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #16
I'm hoping we do too but want to be prepared just in case. The older we get, it seems like the more aches and pains that come along with it!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #17
We like ours it a little harder than our other bed but we find it to be comfortable
Trailerboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #18
We did foam under and a pillow top type topper over. Marriott hotel toppet simulator. DW is happy so i am too lol
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #19
We love our 3" foam topper. Got it on sale at Penny's and it is fantastic.
MtnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #20
I wonder if adding something like this with some modifications might be better and lighter than the memory foam options: Slatted bed base

Carl & Dawn
2015 Greyhawk 31FS
2015 Ford Transit Connect (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote