Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2015, 06:25 AM   #1

Denver mattress

Just recently got our 2015 Jay Flight 23rb home and will be taking it on its maiden trip the weekend after Easter. The Denver pillowtop mattress feels uncomfortable and I've read the posts about adding a memory foam pad under or over the mattress. Just wondering what the general consensus is on this mattress--Is there anyone out there who's found it comfortable? I've considered buying a topper to take along and adding it if we find the bed uncomfortable and returning the topper (unused of course) if we don't need it.

Any opinions would be appreciated!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #2

DW put memory foam on top of our mattress. I hate sleeping on memory foam. I hated it so much I started sleeping on an air mattress, normal length, on the kitchen floor. We bought a standard queen pillowtop mattress and will be replacing the camper Denver mattress. I will add some support for the extra length which I needed anyway as I am 6'-4".
Will make you a fantastic deal on a used Denver mattress. Only used on a half dozed trips.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #3

I don't think we'll have much use for two Denver mattresses. The one we have is probably more than we'll be comfortable with. The more I read from previous posters definitely thinking about going ahead and ordering the topper and putting it underneath the mattress to start with. If that doesn't work, will try it on top. Not sure how we'd like the memory foam. It surely wouldn't make it any worse.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #4

We just got our new camper in October so we have only slept on it a handful of times. We LOVE the new Denver mattress. A HUGE improvement from what our 2011 Jayco camper had. We had to do the memory foam topper on our old mattress but not the new one. My husband was not a fan of the memory foam. It made it really hot- he would sweat at night. He felt like the sheets didn't breathe right with the topper.
Thank goodness the new mattress feels great. We haven't slept more than 2 nights in a row yet though…

Happy Camping!
2 Golden Retrievers, Cooper & Claude
:campfire: :campfire:
Ewingfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
It surely wouldn't make it any worse.
It's tough to make that mattress worse. DW and I spent one night on it, and the only reason we even stayed on it is because we're both stubborn. It was our first night in the trailer at "Camp Driveway" and it stormed like crazy. One of the worst night's sleep I've ever had in my life. It might have been more comfortable if we just tossed the mattress and slept on the plywood.

Now thinking back, I should have grabbed one or both of the bunkhouse mattresses and piled them on top, that would have helped a lot, but I digress...

So we went the next day to Wally World and bought a 4" memory foam topper. Now it's a pretty comfortable bed. I've been toying with the idea of replacing the entire thing with a whole new foam mattress, but as of yet, it's still quite serviceable with just the topper. Not quite as comfortable as home, but not bad at all.

Several walk-through videos state that Jayco spends more money on that mattress than anyone else in the industry. IMHO, that's money down the drain. I would rather they kept the mattress and I could've used the money to buy my own mattress.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #6

If you like a firm, slowly responsive mattress then use it stock. If you want a little more give and faster response then add a latex foam topper. Memory foam is very slow to react as you move. While it gives great support once it all settles in, I find the lumps while it's reacting annoying. I want instant give with good support so I have been happy with the latex vs memory. Temperatures do not effect the latex either and it has vent holes throughout keeping it cool. Just my 2 cents.

Also I agree these are an improvement over previous years models.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

I forgot to mention that from what I've read about these mattresses, it depends largely on your size. A lot of "smaller" people are fine with them and have few if any complaints.

I'm a pretty big guy, (5'10", 270 lbs) so any support the mattress might offer is no support at all and I can feel the ply wood. My hips and shoulders were killing me by the end of the night.

Of course, there are also preferences and opinions mixed in here as well. When I was researching for my topper, I discovered a LOT of polarity; people either liked the Denver or HATED it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #8

I went from a Forest River product that had a wonderful full size queen to the Denver RV queen in my Jayco. I find the Denver mattress to be awful, and I can fall asleep on a ladder. I added a 3" memory foam topper and it's much, much better.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #9

I'm glad to get everyone's opinion! Our old trailer mattress caused back, hip, and shoulder pain the latter part of the night and especially after the first night. I think had it been on some kind of pad other than the plywood would have been more comfortable. Was hoping the new trailer would be more comfortable to start with but so far not looking like that.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #10

We have a Tempur-Pedic at home, so like memory foam. For the TT, it came with a queen-short Denver mattress so we put on top of it the Costco in-store memory foam (about $99) that turned it into a queen-regular and upped the comfort factor significantly! Costco's online store touts a Novaform® 3” Seasonal Memory Foam Mattress Topper [Reversible two-layer construction - cooler on one side, warmer on the other; Gel-infused side stays cool and comfortable by drawing heat away from the body and maintaining air flow – for the warmer months]. Would like to hear if someone has that and their assessment as 55 reviewers have it at 4.5 stars out of 5.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #11

Gloryb,

You've evidently read my earlier posts about putting the 3" MF (Memory Foam) mattress topper underneath the Denver mattress - like a box spring. Doing this eliminates the problems others have described: too warm, trapping moisture, slow response, feeling the plywood under the mattress. I trimmed the 3" MF to fit the short-queen length with an electric carving knife.

Since my trailer is a 2013, it didn't come with the Denver Pillow Top; just the standard Denver Mattress. I also put a 1" corrugated foam rubber mattress topper on top of my mattress to make it a pillow top. This combination is the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on! Since you already have the pillow top, you won't need the extra 1" corrugated foam on top. Just a standard mattress pad/cover.

I full-time, so I sleep on my bed every night. After 6 months, the mattress did develop a sag where I sleep. I just turned it 180 degrees, so now, the sag is under the dog. (He doesn't seem to mind.) When the next six months is up, I'll flip the mattress over, and check to see if the MF needs to be flipped, as well. Just like you'd do with your mattress at home.

I'd strongly urge all those who don't like the Denver Mattress, and who aren't happy with memory foam on top, to give memory foam under the mattress a try. What have you got to lose?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

I like this place for toppers and new mattresses. Their 5pound foam is on par IMO with temperpedic. You can order a custom sized mattress from them or just a topper and the prices are very reasonable. Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #13

I appreciate everyone's help and, yes, Brownie, I did read where you put the memory foam under the mattress which makes sense to me. I think I'm going to buy a 2" foam pad to put under the mattress but not take it out of the package until we do a trial run of sleeping on it. We may end up thinking it's great the way it is. If so, I can take the pad back and nothing is lost. If we end up sleeping miserably, I'll have the pad along to see if that helps. I'm doing the 2 inch which I know isn't much but I hate to make the bed any higher than it already is.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm still open to suggestions.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #14

Im curious about one thing related to RV bedding. It seems customary just to provide a mattress on top of plywood. You would never like sleeping on that at home so why would that be normal for a trailer. It would seem having box springs would make the beds comfortable. Sure it adds weight, but the benefit is a bed that actually feels like a bed. Why dont they use box springs on trailer beds?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #15

Wow, I had no idea that there were so many negative comment on the Denver Matress. We have a Tempur-Pedic at home and prior to our Jayco we had a Forest River and a Heartland. By far I found the King Denver mattress in our TT to be the best we have ever come across. I have a bad back and I get a much better sleep in the TT on the Denver mattress than at home on the Tempur-Pedic.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #16

I'm hoping we do too but want to be prepared just in case. The older we get, it seems like the more aches and pains that come along with it!
Old 04-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #17

We like ours it a little harder than our other bed but we find it to be comfortable
Trailerboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #18

We did foam under and a pillow top type topper over. Marriott hotel toppet simulator. DW is happy so i am too lol
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #19

We love our 3" foam topper. Got it on sale at Penny's and it is fantastic.
MtnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #20

I wonder if adding something like this with some modifications might be better and lighter than the memory foam options: Slatted bed base
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote