Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Denver Mattress

I know this subject has be talked about before, but here goes.

I have a Jayflight 23MB with the Murphy bed which me and my wife have used for going on two years.The Denver Mattress that came with our camper is as hard as a the plywood base its mounted on. I have read discussions about adding a foam mattress topper, but I don't see how that will improve things that much. Can any of you recommend a mattress replacement that will make sleeping on this bed a more comfortable option.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #2

After spending one night a few blocks from our dealer as a shakedown, we knew our stock mattress would have a short half-life. DW liking rock hard, me not so much, we opted for an air adjustable type. Liked it so much we soon bought one for the home.

A plus for us is that we were able to bypass the short queen because deflating it quite a bit allows it to fit with the slide in. And it means we never forget to deflate it when going from low elevations to our home. Popping soda bottles and potato chip bags is one thing. Exploding air bags is quite another.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

we found the topper didn't provide enough cushion or support. After the first couple day trip we quickly got rid of it and brought in a good quality memory foam mattress. Very happy now. FWIW, I'm about 225 pounds. The stock mattress felt like my hip was touch the plywood (no support). My wife (98pounds) found the original mattress hard, but supportive.

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #4

As with many brands/products, there are different levels of quality (getting what you pay for unfortunately). That being said, I have an Eagle 314 BHDS TT with Denver mattresses, which in my shopping experience for RV's, was the best out there. My queen bed is a residential style mattress, with what seems to have a memory foam pillow top. I'm 210 pounds, and the mattress is firm, but compliant. The wife is about 130, and she is also very happy (most important thing...) with the mattress.
You could look to upgrade to the Eagle level mattress, or just go to a bedding store and buy a memory foam topper.
Good luck!
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

We bought a memory foam mattress on Amazon or Overstock and prefer that to the poor quality Denver mattress that came with our trailer. I think we spent around $250 for a queen mattress.

I'm sure that its not top quality and wouldn't likely last if we slept on it very night... but for 30 or 40 nights a year its a darn good mattress. There are tons of options on line.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:59 PM   #6

Thanks for all you're assistance. I am a heavy man 280 lbs and the Denver Matress just has to go. I need to verify the short queen will work but I think I'll try it.

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Dreams...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 06-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruswms View Post
Thanks for all you're assistance. I am a heavy man 280 lbs and the Denver Matress just has to go. I need to verify the short queen will work but I think I'll try it.

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Dreams...ct_top?ie=UTF8
If it were me, I'd go with something I could try first. Why waste your time.
A local RV dealer might have different options in their on site stock, or q mattress store.
Good luck.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #8

Good advise, I will give the dealership a call and see if they have any suggestions.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:56 AM   #9

After a couple of sleepless nights of on our Denver mattress in our new trailer, we decided to purchase a pillow replacement and it made a work of a difference. The mattresses that come with the JayFlight's are crap. I hope the Sealy's they are including in the 2017's are an improvement.

Here is the mattress we got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote