Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #1

Design Flaw for Dinette Table

Just bought a 2017 Jay Feather 7 16XRB. So far I love this trailer as it is a step up from using a PUP and for me, is easier to set up.

I noticed when you set up the dinette table there is a 4 inch gap between the table and the wall due to a conduit running along the floor that does not allow the table leg to go all the way to the wall. This is a bit awkward and also makes the other end of the table stick out into the aisle.

Has anyone else encountered this and any fix suggestions?

Thank you.
FloridaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #2

Can you unscrew the legs from the table and reposition the table top?
Old 12-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #3

Thanks and yes, I have thought of that. Was wondering if anyone had other ideas as I will have to remove portions of the support brackets under the table before I can reposition the legs.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #4

Congratulations on the new Jay Feather and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #5

We have the 2016 model of the 16XRB and did not have this gap when we first got the camper. The table top and legs were replaced under warranty and now we do have the gap. I suspected that the dealer where we had the warranty work done installed the legs incorrectly but I'm not so sure now after reading your story.

I've decided to replace the folding legs with pedestal style mounts to correct this problem and to reduce the wobbliness of the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djohnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

Where did you get the pedestal and how did you install it? Do you happen to have a photo of it that seems like it would be more stable. Thanks for your response.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCamper View Post
Where did you get the pedestal and how did you install it? Do you happen to have a photo of it that seems like it would be more stable. Thanks for your response.

I bought it online at a place that seems to sell mostly boat accessories. I can't remember the name of the company though. I know that I've seen them at online RV suppliers and probably Amazon as well.

It will probably be the weekend before I can get a picture of my install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djohnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
M&A

There must have been a change. See the closeup here - https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...ather-7/16xrb/
That's the same as our 2016 - no gap.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #9

When I was looking at the models on the lot, I did not notice the gap and also in the brochure. The table was down during the demo/walk thru. I didn't find out about the gap until I got home and set it up. When I called the dealer, I was told that that is the way they are.

I have written Jayco (4 days ago), but have not received any response. A friend of mine sent a request 2 days ago about the same thing and no response either.

Makes you wonder.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Search "RV table base" on Amazon. There are a couple of manufacturers, but I would suggest the raised pyramid/cone shape brackets and standard height posts. This is what Jayco uses on the ones with non-foldable legs. You will need two posts (four supports) for a dining table. They screw into the floor and table top easily, but make sure your top screws aren't too long!

Install the floor side first, measuring carefully; you can't easily relocate these once installed in the floor without unsightly holes. If you goof up on the final measures, you can always relocate the ones on the table bottom as they aren't seen.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
When I was looking at the models on the lot, I did not notice the gap and also in the brochure. The table was down during the demo/walk thru. I didn't find out about the gap until I got home and set it up. When I called the dealer, I was told that that is the way they are.

I have written Jayco (4 days ago), but have not received any response. A friend of mine sent a request 2 days ago about the same thing and no response either.

Makes you wonder.
And it IS the way they are some models. On our 19H the window and shade extend below table level, so the table stands a few inches out from the wall for clearance. But on the 17, it looks like the window level is above the table, so no reason it can't touch. I might still want to leave an inch of gap so that the table edge isn't always rubbing against the wall though.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #12

Just a thought, have you tried turning the table around 180 degrees? It may be offset to one side just enough to not be noticeable when looking directly at the table. Not saying this is the case but couldn't hurt to try...

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #13

That is funny - in the photo on the website you can see the conduit bulkhead? (bulkfoot?) but the table looks like there's no gap... but frankly it almost looks like the leg at the wall side isn't angled right..

We have a new 17XFD, which has a similar layout but has three bed tip-outs... it came with the pedestal bases for the table, AND there is a second table with the folding legs that comes with it... I wonder if they figured out this was a problem and added the pedestal tables to newer models (and for us anyway left the old table in the mix as an extra table).

TV 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
TT 2016 Jay Feather 17XFD Hybrid
pfalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalex View Post
That is funny - in the photo on the website you can see the conduit bulkhead? (bulkfoot?) but the table looks like there's no gap... but frankly it almost looks like the leg at the wall side isn't angled right..

We have a new 17XFD, which has a similar layout but has three bed tip-outs... it came with the pedestal bases for the table, AND there is a second table with the folding legs that comes with it... I wonder if they figured out this was a problem and added the pedestal tables to newer models (and for us anyway left the old table in the mix as an extra table).
Jayco seems to bounce around a bit on this one. Our 2008 had one table with pedestal, one with folding legs. Our 19H has a pedestal table, but I think other years they have used a folding leg as well. They tend to market the folding leg as feature as you can also take the table outside, but IMO the pedestal is the better option. We can leave ours up during transport so it is ready to go on arrival.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #15

We decided to purchase a drop leaf table to replace the pedestal table for our dinette. The old table is just too unsteady my liking.

2016 Jay Flight 24RBS
2004 Chevy 2500HD
120 watt portable solar
3kw inverter generator
Nualxy bluetooth/voltage meter
RVS camera system
Bill&Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #16

Thanks to all for the suggestions/input. Jayco finally contacted me and said the table should go to the wall and to go back to the dealer and have them document the problem. Called the dealer and will be taking back soon. Glad to have this solved. Otherwise, no problems or complaints. Love the new 16 XRB.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #17

Can you expand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill&Deb View Post
We decided to purchase a drop leaf table to replace the pedestal table for our dinette. The old table is just too unsteady my liking.
I'd like to hear more about this option. Can you please explain a little bit and perhaps a picture?

Thanks

DT
Old 01-01-2017, 11:33 PM   #18

Our table butts up to the wall.