Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2016, 04:56 AM   #1

Dilemma over 2 year warranty

Here is the situation. I'm thinking about getting a new Jay Flight from a place like RV Direct. I have a price quote in hand, built just like I want.

The local dealer so far is about 3.5 to 4k more.

I also know that local dealers will either refuse to fix warranty items, or place at the back of the line for warranty work, any TT not purchased from them.

Is the two year warranty worth 3.5 k dollars?
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Here is the situation. I'm thinking about getting a new Jay Flight from a place like RV Direct. I have a price quote in hand, built just like I want.

I also know that local dealers will either refuse to fix warranty items, or place at the back of the line for warranty work, any TT not purchased from them.

That is not true with all dealers. Check with your local dealer, they may even match the price.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #3

If you're a first time buyer and/or in a remote location, I'd say yes.

2016 Jay Flight 24RBS
2004 Chevy 2500HD
120 watt portable solar
3kw inverter generator
Nualxy bluetooth/voltage meter
RVS camera system
Bill&Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #4

It's a factory warranty, not a dealer warranty. If you have problems getting any warranty work completed, call Jayco directly and they will get it sorted out. A lot of people buy their campers out of state, I think the whole 'buy it from us or we won't service you' scare tactic is mostly just that. But yes, it may take a little longer for them to get to your camper. For 4,000 dollars less, I'd buy from RV direct. If your local dealer can't match the price, they don't deserve your business.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #5

How far from you is the place "like RV Direct"?

We briefly looked at buying out of state, but was going to cost me a couple grand to retrieve the TT.

When factoring in my cost to pick up and time the savings were quickly eroded.

Asking is the warranty is worth $4k, for me it's a resounding NO. I have had very minimal warranty work, maybe a $500 worth of service and parts if I had to
pay for it.

Lastly Jayco can NOT force a dealer to perform warranty work, but they approve non-jayco selling service centers to provide warranty service. There is always a way to get service, it's just the local dealer can make it a bit more of a hassle if they want, but that's pretty short sighted vision if they do.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
Site Team

On a mh I might consider it. On a fifth wheel or tt, if it's not identified in 2 years you may be home free, with regular maintenance and inspection.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #7

I bought from RV One for one reason only, price, No one came within, 20k of the price locally, So I bite the bullet and bout at RV One, Jayco has been fabulous with warranty issues. I cannot say enough about their customer service and standing behind their products. Now on the other hand, our friends bought their Jayco Eagle 5th wheel locally since they came within 1k of the RV one price. I purchased off the lot so no one came close, Friends ordered their 5er.

Good luck to you on your hunt!
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg   In line duo.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #8

No. If I thought I was going to have $3,000 in problems in the first two years of a purchase I would buy something else. Do you really anticipate that kind of need?
Think of it this way. If you do not buy it, you have thousands of dollars to put forward on possible problems.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
How far from you is the place "like RV Direct"?

We briefly looked at buying out of state, but was going to cost me a couple grand to retrieve the TT.

When factoring in my cost to pick up and time the savings were quickly eroded.

Asking is the warranty is worth $4k, for me it's a resounding NO. I have had very minimal warranty work, maybe a $500 worth of service and parts if I had to
pay for it.

Lastly Jayco can NOT force a dealer to perform warranty work, but they approve non-jayco selling service centers to provide warranty service. There is always a way to get service, it's just the local dealer can make it a bit more of a hassle if they want, but that's pretty short sighted vision if they do.
RV express online IS Richardsons in Southern California (also in Middlebury, In). They will do service at either location. We purchased from them, saved a ton, PLUS we were heading back to ILL anyway so saved another ton by picking it up in Indiana. I have had zero issues with warranty work. The local dealer has worked with us, plus Jayco has been fantastic on just sending items we had issues with, ie cushions, and radio.

I would not hesitate about saving the money, chances are you will have little problem getting service. Tell the local dealer you just moved into their area, they will be happy to earn your business.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #10

Thanks all for the responses.

I don't live that close to any of RV Direct's locations, but one, Orlando is where my wife's family lives, so picking it up there would be a win, win. I get a much cheaper trailer, and my wife gets a visit with her family.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks all for the responses.

I don't live that close to any of RV Direct's locations, but one, Orlando is where my wife's family lives, so picking it up there would be a win, win. I get a much cheaper trailer, and my wife gets a visit with her family.
I would buy from the total, lowest cost location and forget about the dealer. The Jayco factory covers the warranty for the items they built. This is most of the chassis, cabinetry, some furniture and some of the plumbing and electrical. Each different Manufacturer covers warranty related issues for the third party components installed in the camper. Either you or a local guy are the repairmen and coordinator for all repairs.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #12

Ditto.
I got a price online from a dealer in Indiana and then went to my local dealer and they matched the price including shipping to Oregon.
In hind sight I should have bought from the Indiana dealer. My dealer was nothing but trouble, gave me grief when having to deal with even small PDI items, took a month to do 6 hours worth of work and complained that they didn't make enough money on the sale.
I've resorted to dealing with component Mfg's and Jayco on a couple of little items and paying an independent authorized service guy to fix them because of the dealers attitude. Jayco has been very and even reimbursed me over $300 for some cabinetry work that my dealer refused to deal with. All in all were very happy with the coach, Jayco, and the component Mfg's....but not our dealer.
In the grand scheme I'd go for price rather than location.

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #13

Quote:

That's not right bought a 2116 Eagle RSTS last year msrp was 67500 paid 40.Did the same thing used RV Direct pricing.And we are in Arizona just started calling dealers till we got what we wanted.If an RV dealers lips are moving he is lying!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote