Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Dining seat panel wall fell off

We have a jay flight 23 rb camping on weekend and our little wall and back rest fell off od dining seat near door after looking at it it isn't attached very well anybody else have this problem thanks
Trailerboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #2

Do you have a bracket kind of like this? Different trailer, but wouldn't surprise me if they used the same thing on some of the others. I had to tighten the screws on mine, they were only half way screwed in. Maybe you can find a similar bracket at the store and beef it up a bit? That wall isn't directly attached to the bracket at all, I'm assuming this is due to the flexing in my slide out, but if that's not a concern in your case, maybe screw the wall into the bracket so it's a bit sturdier if you can... probably what I'd do.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0920.jpg  
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #3

Mine was loose too on my 23rb. I fixed it once by tightening the screws, then I fixed it for good when I lag bolted this behind it. Got more storage and made the bench wall solid all in the same mod!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Dinette, wife, Jayco quality or lack there of

We have a 2016 23RB.

As my wife leaned back in the dinette, the back began to separate. She was not impressed with Jayco quality or lack there of. I reattached at the base/seat, added L brackets to the base and sidewall. Screwed and glued what I could on the trip.

I highly doubt she will ever buy another Jayco.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

Do you believe the other brands are any better?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #6

It's a matter of value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Do you believe the other brands are any better?
Actually Mark, I think Winnebago is better quality. Starcraft is on par with Jayco, at a discounted price. This is our 3rd Jayco. The others were older popups and each had minor issues. If I was to turn the clock back, I would have bought the Starcraft equivalent to the Jayco 23RB, saved $1500-2000 and still had a two year warranty.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
We have a 2016 23RB.

As my wife leaned back in the dinette, the back began to separate. She was not impressed with Jayco quality or lack there of. I reattached at the base/seat, added L brackets to the base and sidewall. Screwed and glued what I could on the trip.

I highly doubt she will ever buy another Jayco.
On the other hand, when shopping for another trailer she will now have a specific item to compare between brands.

Lots of us on this site know Jayco isn't perfect, but the brand has delivered good 'bang for the buck' for a number of years... and with a 2yr warranty.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #8

I don't yet have a Jayco but I have owned Forest River products and Cruiser Rv. I have friends with Tiffon RV and the one thing they all have in common is they each have thier issues. Sadly, I know when I buy a RV I will have to make repairs and improvements. It still gets aggravating. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy66 View Post
We have a jay flight 23 rb camping on weekend and our little wall and back rest fell off od dining seat near door after looking at it it isn't attached very well anybody else have this problem thanks
I had the same problem. These walls seem to be stapled together and come apart easily. I looked it over very carefully so I would know where it went together and then push it back together and used screws from the outside going in. The screws barely show and it is very sturdy now. A dab of wood putty and the screws are covered up. In two years now no more problems and we use this rv a lot.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #10

Common problem. Had the same issue with our 2007 26bh. Although an easy fix, this is one of the reasons why we went with the table and chairs option in our White Hawk. Looked at a new White Hawk on the dealer lot and it used the same bracket, which was already loose! And for the person questioning Jayco quality, we currently have a Prime Time Tracer (Forest River product) which has had a lot more quality problems than our previous Jayco, which is why we are going back to.....Jayco!

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #11

My beef is industry wide. Cutting corners on build quality. This problem should not be happening if builders would just take a little time to do things the right way.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out how this should be attached and do it correctly.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
My beef is industry wide. Cutting corners on build quality. This problem should not be happening if builders would just take a little time to do things the right way.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out how this should be attached and do it correctly.
I agree with you, but we consumers still buy their products so why would they change? If we want campers we have to buy their substandard products. And if they did take the time to do things correctly, would many people be priced out of the market?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I agree with you, but we consumers still buy their products so why would they change? If we want campers we have to buy their substandard products. And if they did take the time to do things correctly, would many people be priced out of the market?
Your right, we have no choice, especially the lower end models with basic amenities.

Still, what do they pay these guys, $10-$12/hr. To take a extra couple of minutes to attach something right sure shouldn't increase the price a lot.

I for one, would gladly pay an extra couple hundred dollars for a little better quality on stuff that doesn't require better materials, just better assembly.

Maybe they work piece work and there lies the trouble.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #14

Not an owner yet, but in my research I have read about this problem and have seen it on Youtube. Bad design but seems to be an easy fix. I agree that a couple of $2 corner brackets plus the couple of minutes it takes to install them, should not cut too much into their profit margin. Thankfully, the smaller 212QB I am considering does not have that type of a seatback wall.
tomnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #15

I rebuilt the entire bench using wood screws and glue. From the factory they use staples which may make manufacturing fast but unacceptable for the Jayco TT Owner.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #16

I'll see yer piece o crud, and do y'all fellers one worse. Our last unit had the dinette back connected to the exterior wall with a 1/2" screw. After the warranty expired, the screw came out, and the exterior wall had 1.5" of play in it; it would have eventually wobbled the other wall fasteners loose (assuming there were others). This was in addition to the loose dinette back. We had no idea that it was assembled in this shoddy, stupid, smelly way since the screw was down in between the dinette back and the sofa end that butted up to it.

It was a major pain to repair properly; the slide out had to be pulled and proper bracing (welded gusset and bracket) installed for both the wall and the seat back. This was just one of numerous serious and dangerous assembly derelictions that cost us tons of time and money. My brother has a Cruise RV that is a massive pile of crap - nothing but heartache right and left, at every turn a new screw job - it has pretty much ruined his desire to own an RV.

Our Jayco is a much better product than our previous hunk of junk was - All Day! We'll take the Jay Feather, thank you very much! Yeee-Haw, Boys!!!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #17

We hate the seating, don't use the storage and can relocate the CO detector with ease but I wonder what damage to take out the seats so we can buy two computer type chairs to make eating more comfortable. We could also use them for watching tv, computer and reading.

To me it looks like hiding or filling a few screw and staple holes. Our Jayco 195RB has no other things running through the bench boxes than the CO detector wires.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post

Their are many threads on "I wish" items. Bottom line is Jayco puts out a good product at a good price. If we added all the "why don't they" to the unit, the price would be much much higher.. What is horrible to one person, is "no big deal" to the next. Better tires, better fans, better windows, bigger tanks, better furniture etc.

You get what you pay for, is very true with an RV. but even the most expensive Rv's have issues. Your building a house, and then dragging it down the road, bumping and bouncing all the way... it's amazing they stay together at all.

Part of the "fun" of an RV is modifying it to fit our particular needs. The back panel is an easy fix and in my opinion 'no big deal". And it' not $10 - $12 an hour it's $75 to $100 an hour or more when you figure in labor and overhead.

If that is your worse issue, I would consider it a win. JMHO.

Two years and we live in ours for 6 months and no issues I would not say 'no big deal too"..

Good Luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #19

I've got a new 2017 23RB, 4 plumbing leaks, flooded under belly, broken tv, failed Simmons mattress, loose dinette seat back and pulled trim molding at multiple locations. All this in the first 3 weeks. Jayco warranty is worthless in my opinion. This is my second jayco.... first and last!
Deal Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal Breaker View Post
I've got a new 2017 23RB, 4 plumbing leaks, flooded under belly, broken tv, failed Simmons mattress, loose dinette seat back and pulled trim molding at multiple locations. All this in the first 3 weeks. Jayco warranty is worthless in my opinion. This is my second jayco.... first and last!
Welcome to the forum.

Yup. That stuff sucks. I had some of the same issues and Jayco took care of them.

I'm curious: What's your issue regarding Jayco's warranty?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote