Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #1

direct tv satellite kit

Okay need, help I just received my new swim kit (direct tv) satellite system from oasis. The instructions are not real good, it shows hooking the 50' cable from the satellite dish into the power inserter and then a 3' from the same inserter to the genie box but it does it by not connecting to the outside tv cable on the tt. My question is this, will it still work if I went from the satellite dish directlly to the trailer outside cable and then plugged the power inserter into power inside the tt and then from there connect the cables from the inserter to the direct tv genie box.. hope this makes sense..
forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #2

well it sounds logical to me .... the outside connection is for cable from cg so I would think you could hook from inside coax outlet to box then out of box to tv
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

Am I wrong, but do I remember reading that the satellite cable is an upgrade, and will not work on std tv cable. Suggest you go to the Wineguard carryout satellite site.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #4

Just remembered I have my book here at home. It describes the rv cable system and states: Satellite signals will not pass through these circuits. The only thing that can be between satellite antenna and satellite receiver is coax cable.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #5

You should have inside your TT RG 58 , RG59 or Rg6 cable all of which will work with the direct cable. You can connect the direct cable into the cable feed on your TT and it should feed to your TV but the air antenna power switch must be off. Thank of the cable inside of your TT as an extension of the 50ft.
If you only have a single output from your dish you may only be able to watch the same showon all of your TV's
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Site Team

I have the TailGater and yes you can use the exterior TT cable connection for your satellite connection the same as cable. EXCEPT that you need to make a change in your media center (see attached link and page down to post #1). There is a short cable that you need to disconnect and plug in your satellite receiver into it. The instructions are on the cover plate, at least they are on mine. Make sure your "Over the air antenna" amp is turned off.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ight=satellite

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #7

While it certainly can work to use the cable connection on the outside of your trailer to connect satellite TV, the interior cabling as installed by Jayco can cause some problems - but all may work OK. The problems occur due to the type of connectors that Jayco uses (crimp connections, not compression connectors as recommended my DirecTV) and the routing of the cable, which should have no turns with a radius smaller that 6 inches (the cable at the exterior cable connector on my trailer has a radius of about 1 inch).

I would recommend to you two things.
1) Unless you are very familiar with setting up a DirecTV dish, learn to set it up when it does not matter if you have easy success. Setting it up before the big bowl game when all your friends are coming over to watch the game is not a good idea.
2) The first time you set it up, run the cable directly to your power inserter instead of using any of your trailers cable connections. This eliminates all of the possible issues that I mentioned above. Once your dish is aligned well, you can use the trailer's cabling to verify it is working for you.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #8

I think you'll be fine using the TT cable, although if you do as RVhiker suggests it's a quick easy way to know for sure. When we are camping we do no use the TT cable as we are wired direct to our Winegard on the roof of the TT, however when we are back home we access the RV DVR from the home through the TT connection using the DirecTV whole home system. This way the RV DVR can continue to record programming while parked next to the house using the dish mounted on our home. It's always worked fine and we've done this for the last 5-6 years. I think you'll be good.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #9

There is some mis-information being posted in this thread. Be careful. Mustang65 is pointing you in the right direction. If you do not have the jumper as his link shows and only have one external connector your set up won't work with satellite. Modifiactions will needed to be made.

The issue is the satellite receiver gets a DC voltage applied to the cable which selects the polarity of the desired transponder. Technical? Yes. But it is why there can be no active devices between the receiver and the dish.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #10

Perhaps each should include our tt and type system. I have a 2012 Jayco Eagle 298 rls. Satallite is a winegard carryout automatic gm-1518, fixed mounted to roof. All cables are thru the roof and into the interior tv/audio system. Each output cable runs direct to separate tvs. Satallite receiver and program is Dish. Info I provided is from page 15 of the winegard setup info book. If yours works another way, go for it!
Old 11-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #11

Our TT is a 2007 26BHS. I had to go take a look at ours. We don't have that "jumper" scenario and I honestly have no real idea the exact way our coax is wired in the TT. I have a single coax outlet with a powered 12-volt outlet on the same face plate. It's been so long I can't recall exactly what I did to determine that one of three coax that came to this single outlet was the cable that ran to the outside. The other is the stock antennae on the roof. So I've since removed the cover, used the external cable feed to run to the DVR when at home and the other to hook directly to our televisions for over the air reception. Not sure this of much help, just trying to identify what I ended up doing in explanation of my post above. Another big difference is my set up does NOT use the SWM technology. I would not be able to place our Genie in the TT. Our Genie stays at home. We do have a dedicated RV HD DVR that we can access from the house, using this external cable connection on the TT.
Attached Thumbnails
2014-11-16 10.46.09.jpg  

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #12

If you call Jayco and give them your VIN, they can email your TV wiring schematic to you. I am attaching the TV schematic for my camper, which is a 2013 351RLTS. It was very helpful when I set my camper up with a dish for the first time a few weeks ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV schematic.pdf (67.0 KB, 22 views)
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote