Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #1

DirtyTalk (Sewer Questions)

Hello. First time owner with basic questions. Any and all advice is welcomed.
1. Do I really need RV TP to prevent clogs?
2. Anyone ever use Flushable toilet bowl cleaning wands on TT?
3. Do the chemical treatments work fast enough to break down solids in tanks for weekend trips.
4. How do you store the sewer connector (elbow)? I was thinking of an airtight plastic box. Is this a mistake?
5. When disconnecting the drain hose, any advice for cleaning prior to storage?
6. The two part sewer hose I bought doesn't fit in the bumper when the two sections are connected. I was worried that if put them in both ends of the bumper, one might slide to the center during travel & be hard to remove. Is this a real concern or not?
Old 03-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

My responses in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marci V View Post
Being a new to this, it would be a good idea. BUT, it's your black tank and your potential clog.
Don't. Unless you eat it first. Only exception to the eating rule is TP.
3. Do the chemical treatments work fast enough to break down solids in tanks for weekend trips.
No.
4. How do you store the sewer connector (elbow)? I was thinking of an airtight plastic box. Is this a mistake?
Not a problem. I store all my sewer stuff in a large, heavy duty, plastic bag with the top folded over, but not sealed.
Dump the black tank first and rinse it. Then drain the grey tank. The grey water, if the grey tank is moderately full, will do a good job of getting the yucky stuff out.
6. The two part sewer hose I bought doesn't fit in the bumper when the two sections are connected. I was worried that if put them in both ends of the bumper, one might slide to the center during travel & be hard to remove. Is this a real concern or not?
I haven't used the bumper for hose storage.
In addition....
.... When camped in a site with a sewer hookup, leave your dump valves CLOSED until you are ready to dump.
.... Always (as often as possible) use a black tank flush when you dump.
.... After you dump, add ~5 gallons of water into your black tank. Solids can build up under the toilet into a tower of poo. Getting rid of that can be a problem.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #3

Every other trip or so, I put a bag off ice and a gallon of water down the toilet with a couple of chemical packets right before leaving. The drive sloshes the ice cubes around and they break up any solids. Heard it is an old trick, but it works for me...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Have always used household TP
See above
No
I use an open plastic box for other sewer goodies
See above
I put each separate piece in each end of the bumper. They have never moved so that's not a problem. The inside of the bumper will rust so paint the interior with some Rustoleum using a small roller.
As far as chemicals, they're generally not required.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

#1 I'm not sure if RV paper is to be used exclusively. We use either RV or septic approved TP and have never had issues.
#2 I'm not familiar with the toilet cleaning wands, but I would suggest against it.
#3 I'm not sure if they will "work fast enough" for a weekend, but I have to honestly tell you that we rarely use the black tank additives. If your black tank system is operating correctly, you don't get any smells in your RV and if you are draining and flushing properly, you don't have any real need to break stuff down.
#4 I have a small Rubbermaid bin with a lid that I store the elbow, a clear 45 angle so I can see what is draining, and the threaded connection for the hose.
#5 Always drain your black tank first, then your grey tank. The soapy water from the gray tank should be suitable for flushing out the hose. No need to make it sanitary, so I wouldn't overthink this.
#6 I have a 2 part Rhino hose, and I can have it connected and get it in the rear bumper. If they aren't connected then one of them will be pushed in and it will be a bear of a time getting it out. I would suggest leaving them connected. Some brands are just a little too wide, but you can probably get a file and shave down the small portion that is too wide.

Flushing is way easier than a lot of people make it out to be. I have a clear 45 degree connector so that I can monitor what is coming out of the tanks. I have a 10' section of vinyl gutter (roof gutter) that is cut into a 6' and 4' section. I lay the sewer hose in the gutter and place blocks under the gutter to ensure a downward pitch in the hose. I have found this is the easiest and cheapest way to do it. Having proper pitch with no low spots helps keep everything clean and running right.

I drain the black tank, then every couple of trips I flush it with the factory installed black tank flush. I let the tank flush run for several minutes, occasionally closing the valve to let some water build up, then opening the valve again. The rush of a lot of water will help dislodge anything that may have stuck around. After that, I drain the gray.

After everything is drained I disconnect from the RV and lift the hose up to ensure everything is drained and then put it back in the rear bumper.

Its not rocket surgery, but watching some people drain tanks can be a fun experience at times... as long as you aren't waiting behind them at a dump station.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
Every other trip or so, I put a bag off ice and a gallon of water down the toilet with a couple of chemical packets right before leaving. The drive sloshes the ice cubes around and they break up any solids. Heard it is an old trick, but it works for me...
x2, though I use more like 3-4 gallons of water w/ the ice

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
The two part sewer hose I bought doesn't fit in the bumper when the two sections are connected. I was worried that if put them in both ends of the bumper, one might slide to the center during travel & be hard to remove. Is this a real concern or not?
Measure the length of compressed hose, then drill self tapping screws through the bumper to act as a stop for the hose just a bit further down than where the hose ends. This should prevent any movement of the hose. Total cost about $0.50.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Site Team

[QUOTE=

6. The two part sewer hose I bought doesn't fit in the bumper when the two sections are connected. I was worried that if put them in both ends of the bumper, one might slide to the center during travel & be hard to remove. Is this a real concern or not?[/QUOTE]

I'll concur with all the answers above. In addition, if you have a manual awning, the wand to pull it out with makes a great "hook tool" to snag the hose from the bumper.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! I'm confused by the term "Flushable". Do you mean a wand that can be attached to a garden hose and inserted into the toilet in order to clean the tank? If so yes, I have used one of these (in addition to my factory installed rinser) and they do a good job. If that's not what you are referring to, then I would say not to put anything down the toilet other than tp and bodily waste . BTW, I always use Scott RV tp and LOTS OF WATER. Good camping!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #10

Welcome!!!

The flushable cleaner wand pad, as mentioned above, would advise against it!!!

For sewer hose storage, check out the 5" vinyl fence post sleeve mod a lot of us have done. I have some pics in my signature link. Put a 4" u shaped gutter inside to act as a tray. That way if the hose gets pushed in some, slide the gutter tray out to reach the hose! The gutter tray can also be a way to support the sewer hose when the ground is lower between the trailer hook up and the sewer connection. That way it all flows down!!! Lol I have 1 gutter the full length of the fence post sleeve, the cut another in half for a couple shorter ones if/ when needed.

I then store my hot dog forks in one side of the bumper, and the fire tongs and poker in the other side. I cut a 4" gutter down to fit inside the bumper also. Cut a 2x4 and screwed it in the middle to keep the items in place.

A larger container from sidewalk chalk is what I store my sewer elbow and "doughnut" in! It is just big enough for them. Maybe 5"x5"x10" +/-..... Works great!!!

We use some chemicals, can't recall exactly what it is at the moment. Won't break stuff down in a w/e, but can possibly help with the tank sensors..... Maybe!!!! Lol Biggest thing is to use a fair amount of water when flushing solids!!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #11

I tested the RV TP in a pint jar of water overnight and it didn't break up any better than what we were using in the house for our septic system and it cost almost twice as much. We use the same TP in our trailer that we use in the house. Test what you have by putting one square in a jar and let it sit in water overnight. Then shake the jar for a few seconds. If the sheet disintegrates it will work just fine in your trailer. If it stays as one piece look for a different brand.

When TP is used, fill the bowl to near the rim with liquid before flushing and you should have no issues. Attempting to conserve water when flushing leads to clogs. When traveling dump you black tank when nearly full or fill it with water before dumping to get everything out at the dump station.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

O.K. I just looked up "Flushable toilet bowl cleaning wands". I never heard of them before...no, you should not use them

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 03-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #13

I've been using whatever TP Wal-Mart has on sale for the last 15 years and it hasn't been a problem yet. Remember it's just a holding tank and does not function like your septic tank at home. Doesn't really need to "break" down. Just needs to come out when you dump the tank.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #14

RV toilet paper has been thoroughly debated here (and elsewhere on this site), so I won't comment on that. As for the flushable toilet wand: NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! Same goes for sanitary napkins, sanitary wipes, diapers, Kleenex, paper towels, or large cardboard boxes!
Old 03-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #15

Being a first time RV user, (heck, even for the old timers this is worth watching) go to You Tube and look up; 'The Fit RV'. This guy has done some very informative tests regarding RV sewer systems. Things from flush units, to toilet paper.

Regarding the toilet chemicals for your sewage tank; as has been said, they won't break down the solids for just a weekend trip. Yet, they make it smell better, they are inexpensive and can't hurt. Personally, we use tank chemicals every use, in both tanks.
If you live where it freezes and you are the type to try camping in cold, you can add water softener salt to your black tank, and a quarter cup of RV antifreeze to every flush to keep your black tank from freezing.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
O.K. I just looked up "Flushable toilet bowl cleaning wands". I never heard of them before...no, you should not use them
I would say he could use the cleaning wand unit, just don't flush the pad. Just drop it in a plastic grocery bag and toss in the garbage.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #17

Toilet paper test:

Ice cubes in the tank:

tank flushers

Tank flushing speed
Old 03-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
I've seen this guys videos and he does a decent job. However, I do take some issue with his "tank flushers" findings. Anyone who thinks that the clear "flushers" and the Sewer Solution are built to actually clean a black tank needs a reality check. They are built more for cleaning the discharge hose and fittings close to the outlet, not the tank. You can't compare those items to an installed tank rinser...no way.

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 03-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #19

The problem with this video for me is that black tanks aren't shaped like that. Most black tanks are a lot shallower and wider.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
The problem with this video for me is that black tanks aren't shaped like that. Most black tanks are a lot shallower and wider.
The overall effect on drainage would still be the same or at least not arguably noticeable. Even if the tank is wider and shallower, the diameter of the exit line and force of gravity is only going to allow for so much volume to flow out. If anything, the fact that an RV tank is wider and shallower and don't forget, usually longer, means liquid and debris is spread over a wider area. While mass volume flow rate out of the tube is limited by the diameter of the pipe and the force of gravity, the shallower wider tank does not allow for the water/fluid mass and gravity to have as centralized effect at the exit line. Therefore the postulate is the possibility of more debris being left behind. He address this issue in the tank flushing speed video