Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #1

Dissapointed in 2012 330 rlts quality

I just bought a new 2012 330 rlts 3 weeks ago.I love the floor plan and the amenities.But Ive got a list of stuff wrong a mile long.Ranging from the slide tape buckling to ceiling trim falling,shades that cant be leveled to THREE nails and staples penetrating my siding from the inside out.Incomplete caulking in the shower and the sofas are both broke loose from the wall.I thought I had bubbles under my graphics,heck no the fiberglass itself is dished about 1/32 inch.About 4 spots like this.Each about the size of a quarter.I just traded a 15 yo fleetwood prowler and never had but a couple issues with it.I know all these(and more)problems will be fixed under warranty but the hassle of driving 95 miles one way twice just gets under my skin.I guess they dont build anything like they used too.Scott.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #2

“I guess they don’t build anything like they used too.” Your bottom line says it all. I had a cabinet door fall off because the mounting holes for the hinges were stripped (too much torque). I had to fill the holes and start over on several doors. Also, my TT had insufficient and sloppy caulking, and some other issues that became warranty work.

In my opinion, sales have become a much higher priority than quality. Your problems, as well as mine, appear to be the result of hurry-up production methods and lack of quality control. I think those types of problems are common no matter what brand you buy. Quality has become a marketing theme used to increase sales, not necessarily improve the product. There is honest marketing out there (I think), but there are those types who are trying to fool us. We need to be smarter consumers.

Here is my bottom line: Please don’t misunderstand the above comments. I enjoy my Jayco x17z. I’m glad I have it, and I would buy another one. I hope the production people start paying more attention to detail, and we improve as consumers. Am I asking for too much?
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #3

I have a 2012 Jayco 29RLDS and found a few things wrong with it on my first 2 trips. I have a leak under the shower door also, had a bolt from underneath coming up through the kitchen floor, a nail coming throught the trim on the inside of the trim around the slide, a shade over the couch that wouldn't work and the drawer on the bottom of the couch didn't have a strap to keep it closed. It's at the dealer now being fixed. Still a lot better than the 2012 Dutchman I started to buy. I guess as said before, they don't make things like they used to.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #4

Fred - first of all welcome to the forum....if you have a chance come on over to the new area and introduce yourself.

Sorry you are having issues...hopefully you can get them resolved quickly and you will be happy with your Jayco like so many of us are.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Guys - lets make sure we keep this constructive on how to help folks with issues. Rants and disparaging comments about Amish will be removed.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about your many problems, I hope Jayco steps up and fixes them in good order.
The only "real" issue I've had was to replace a defective stereo (Jensen) which was a very plesant experience.
I've watched the utube vid of Jayco building (putting together) a TT and I'm surprised we don't have many more assembly issues.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

We went to the factory in June to see Pinnacles assembled. The workers are on piece work so they do hustle, the workers are a mix of Amish and English, I agree don't be negative. I am surprised that there are so many issues with the above trailer, they do segregate trailers with issues for repair. Did this one get missed? they even pull trailers at random and soak them down to check for leaks! Working at a JD dealer I tell folks if its man made it's not always perfect. I know it's alway's a pain to go to the dealer, our last trip was to get estimate on hail damage, so we made a night of it.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

I work for a car manufacturer. We hustle as well! You only have x amount of time to complete a process. We to have an area where cars with issues are reworked. We also pull random cars an test for water leaks. We do however check every thing and I mean every thing to be sure it works. We have numerous inspectors all through the assembly line as well. But yes some times an issue does get through. Paying the employees on piece work though only makes quality worse. Every employee is out to surpass that magic number, and that can lead to problems.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #9

I have often stated that if any manufacturer built RVs the way the should we would not be able to afford them. Manufacturers of some of the best built ones went out of business or at least the RV side of their business. The Clark Cortez and the Travco motorhomes are examples of well built units that were cost prohibitive to sell after Winnebago introduced their Thermo-panel construction method to the industry.

I have never seen any new RV on a lot that I could not find several construction assembly imperfections somewhere on the unit. I noted a few on mine, but they were not objectionable, did not impair functionality or detract from the appearance. As for other defects, I had about 11 items that surfaced during the first use that were all corrected by the dealer under warranty.

I am somewhat curious as to the number of problem areas you noted. Did you purchase the unit sight unseen? The more glaring defects, particularly on the exterior seem as if they would have been detected on initial observation. The smaller problem areas typically are found only after use.

In any event, I hope you can have these issues resolved and wish you nothing but the best with your Jayco.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #10

Seems to me the dealer might/should have found something on their inspection or with you on your PDI. Hard to believe they all cropped up in three short weeks. Some must have existed at time of purchase. I hope everything is fixed and you can get the sour taste out of your mouth.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #11

Welcome to the 330RLTS club. Our trailer is a year and a half old and the problems just seem to keep comming. It is not hard to see why they are no longer making this model. This is making our old Montana seem like a real high quality unit.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #12

This is to bad, this is one of my favorite floor plans. If we had a bigger truck I would have bought this one instead of the Jayfeather.....guess it worked out this way for a reason.
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #13

I've said this before but when I hear about this many issues on an RV I've got to wonder what kind of pre-sale prep the dealer did on the unit? It sounds to me like a lot of these things should have been spotted and corrected by the dealer prior to releasing the unit to the end customer.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #14

I'm surprised that there were that many issues. I've had mine 1.5 seasons, have about 45 nights in it? After the first season I had a list of small items, the dealer took care of all of them without discussion. I'm very happy with mine, and would likely buy another Jayco.
WA State
AndrewClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #15

Well that's todays business philosophy. Do more with less people. Quantity over quality
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Welcome to the 330RLTS club. Our trailer is a year and a half old and the problems just seem to keep comming. It is not hard to see why they are no longer making this model. This is making our old Montana seem like a real high quality unit.
Clutch
I know the feeling. I wish we would of kept our Carriage 5th wheel.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #17

I was in boat building for many years so am somewhat used to manufacturing issues. The "bubbles" would be small voids in the laminate and would not have been evident at the factory. They would only have shown up after the TT was out in the sun to heat up and expand the air in the void. Probably more cosmetic than structural, but combined with other issues becomes unsettling. If the calk issue is between the tub rim and the side panels, that is probably the way it is supposed to be. The tubs usually have a flange and upturn behind the panel so water is not going to leak through. They usually make a small "dam" with caulk at the front to keep water from flowing out onto the floor. Any water from condensation behind the panel usually comes out under the panel. No defense for fasteners protruding and your other issues.

In my experience quality issues do not stem from the speed at which the workers do their jobs. Experience workers do their jobs quickly and usually right the first time. Inexperienced workers are slower and make mistakes. After a slowdown in the industry, there are lots of new hires as companies try to pick up the pace of production and quality suffers. When everything gets up to speed the issues go away again. The RV industry is coming out of a big slowdown so there are probably issues with every manufacturer as they try to come back up to speed.

Our Jay Feather is a 2007 and, while I could nit pick a few things, on the whole seems to be well engineered and manufactured. It tows very well with little sway, everything works as it should and we love the floor plan. I would buy Jayco again.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #18

Welcome, TeamFoxy. But a word of caution. We don't allow comments from those who know what they're talking about!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #19

I just took delivery of a 2013 26 RLS. I have to admit that so far, everything works and I'm well pleased with the fit and finish. Unfortunately, it a crap shoot as to who will have want issues with their purchase. My boss bought a brand new Dodge Ram in '11. He's had nothing but issues with it. My SIL bought the same truck last year and loves it. I'm usually the guy with Murphy's luck and get to know the service manager on a first name basis and receive Christmas cards from him. Hopefully my little bit of new found luck will continue and I can spend my free time at the campground instead of the waiting room at the RV dealership. Good luck with your tt and I hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction.
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #20

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your unit. Take notes and make sure the dealer fixes all of the issues. I have had my camper over 2 and a half years. I had a few warranty issues with it, but nothing like you have. Good luck and I hope you get to enjoy your trailer.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote