Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

Question Do I have a STYROFOAM ROOF ??

2006 Jay Flight 31BHDS MODEL
dcavaiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #2

Is it domed like the current (32)BHDS?
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #3

Yes, I would say so .........
Old 11-30-2014, 05:58 AM   #4

It is mushy and "crunchy" in several spots around the roof, so might that indicate Styrofoam?
Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

mushy and crunchy is not a good sign.

The roof is currently made up with wooden trusses for structure, but then would use a luan and styrofoam for the skin and integrated insulation. Of course wrapped in rubber roof membrane.

If the luan (possibly plywood) is rotted then you could definitely feel the styro insulation.

This needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. The buggies love moving under the rubber membrane, causing a bad situation into a a terrible situation.

I would start on the inside of the coach, go through the ceiling to inspect. ceilings are cheap, Rubber roof membranes are extremely expensive.

You can cut and patch the rubber roof. when doing the actual repair.

This can be done DIY, but needs to be dealt with sooner than later. Remember, "rot" is really just wet wood that has become a breeding ground for microorganisms that feed on wood, and they can work in a low oxygen environment. In fact, they prefer places that are water impenetrable, because the membrane retards the natural drying action that exposed wood would see.

I am truly sorry you are feeling squashiness on your roof. I had a similar situation, but mine was a squishy floor on a previous trailer. I feel your pain, and wish you the best of luck.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Site Team

It should be 3/8" plywood over wooden trusses, covered by the roof membrane since it is a Jayflight.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #7

I called a local RV Medic and right away he wants to tow it in and replace the whole roof for around 5K. Did not excite me - especially when I see videos where only the bad portion of the roof can be replaced! My concern though is that there are a few other "crunchy" spots near the sloped sides in very different parts of the roof where there are no leaks at all, and where there are no low spots. wondering why that would be??
Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #8

Short answer is you'll never know for sure until you put eyes on it.

Home Depot is now selling flexible fiber optic cameras that will "see" in a wall cavity from a small drilled hole...
Old 11-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #9

Our 2005 31bhds was the same way, we figured it out while installing a new Ac unit. Luckily a tree limb came through it during a storm, and our insurance paid for a new roof that I installed myself. When I started tearing off the old roof I realized that one whole side of the roof was rotted, so I tore off all of the plywood which was 3/8" Luann, we replaced this with 1/2" plywood as it was readily available, and there is not that much difference in weight. I then installed 1/4" styrofoam insulation and .045 TPO rubber roofing. This was a major undertaking and I probably had over 100 hours of labor in this project with removing Ac, guttering, vents, and cleaning all of these items for reinstallation. Our insurance paid $2500.00 for a new roof which certainly would not have covered a repair facility doing the job. Good luck, and make sure that your repair guy knows what he is doing or you will have more problems than you already have. If yours is like ours was there is know sign of a leak inside, although the condition of the wood indicated that it had probably leaked since it was brand new. I have read on some forums that several years of jay flights had a fabric backed rubber membrane that wicked water and held it on the roof deck. Sorry for the long response, but I can feel your pain.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #10

well first off, is there any delam on the sides of your unit? If so, is the roof crunchy right over the delam? That is where the water is going out, not necessarily where it is coming in.
As far as repairing just a portion of the roof. YES, you can just repair the wood, but if you pull up just a part of the rubber, it will stretch, and the glue wont stick properly when reattached. The actual rubber roof replacement kit does not cost that much. It is the labor that costs, and why risk an ify reattach. Spend a few more $$$ and replace the entire rubber.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #11

JAYCO is very good with prompt answers to qustions like this. Call them and have your VIN NUMBER handy...

I got a full build PDF one time asking about how thick the walls were back then...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote