Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

Do I need sway bars with an EQ hitch

I did some research and was going to purchase "sway bars" with my new EQ hitch. This is for a Jayco 23MRB. When talking with 2 "very experienced" RVer's, they both told me that with a 23' duel axel trailer that the sway bars with an equalizer hitch would be a waste of money. Both had owned trailers over 20 years. What does this group think as I wonder if their belief is outdated? I ask because almost everything I've read on these forums suggest that you should have both. Thanks.
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #2

I have the same trailer. We have the husky 800 - 1200 and would not pull with out this WDH with built in sway.
Mikedebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #3

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Being a newbie, it is a challenge.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #4

If your WDH doesn't have sway control built in then add a friction unit. I use two. They're only about $35 each on Amazon.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:31 AM   #5

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:21 AM   #6

What is the actual brand and model of your "EQ" hitch? If you're not sure and don't have the owners manual, post a pic so we can see it.

As mentioned above, if you don't have built in sway control, a side mounted friction bar would be an added benefit. Most suggest using two if the trailer is over 30'. You could always start with one and go from there.

One downside to the side mounted sway bars is when making sharp turns (like backing into a camp site) it is highly suggested to remove them to prevent any damage.

Always load the trailer properly so you have enough tw to prevent sway. Otherwise a sway bar or even a wdh w/ built in sway control could mask the improperly loaded trailer until it is to late.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #7

It's cheap and can't hurt. Seems like a simple decision.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I did some research and was going to purchase "sway bars" with my new EQ hitch. This is for a Jayco 23MRB. When talking with 2 "very experienced" RVer's, they both told me that with a 23' duel axel trailer that the sway bars with an equalizer hitch would be a waste of money. Both had owned trailers over 20 years. What does this group think as I wonder if their belief is outdated? I ask because almost everything I've read on these forums suggest that you should have both. Thanks.
If your very experienced RVers meant an "Equal-i-zer BRAND" hitch, they might be right: The Equal-i-zer Brand hitch has anti-sway built in.

I think you'll find most of us believe anti-sway is important for a travel trailer that size. If anti-sway is not built into the WDH hitch (and it is for several manufacturers), then it should be added.

As need-a-vacation asked, What brand of "EQ" hitch do you have?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

I tow a 33' trailer with WDH and without sway control. I used the friction control type on my last, 29' TT, but left it off the new one. I haven't missed it and we've been on 4 trips for a total of about 4000 miles. If it's loaded correctly and set up right, it's not a problem. I weighed mine recently and I have about 13.5% tongue weight.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #10

As OldmanAZ indicates, understand the capabilities of your hitch. The Equal-i-zer brand and some others (Husky Center Line TS also comes to mind) have the sway control integrated into the hitch system so no additional anti-sway should be required (or even be desirable, as you CAN have too much!)

If you don't have the instructions for your hitch system, they are easily found online, or post your hitch model and the helpful folks here will help you find the information.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #11

Hi, and thanks to both of you who asked. I will take a photo of it tomorrow but am already convinced to put in anti-sway or friction unit. After reading everyone's posts I recognize it can't hurt anything and the extra safety is worth it.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I tow a 33' trailer with WDH and without sway control. I used the friction control type on my last, 29' TT, but left it off the new one. I haven't missed it and we've been on 4 trips for a total of about 4000 miles. If it's loaded correctly and set up right, it's not a problem. I weighed mine recently and I have about 13.5% tongue weight.
A very few configurations can get away without sway control. Most can't. I wouldn't want to have to execute an evasive maneuver (like debris on the expressway) at 60MPH without some form of positive sway control.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
A very few configurations can get away without sway control. Most can't. I wouldn't want to have to execute an evasive maneuver (like debris on the expressway) at 60MPH without some form of positive sway control.
Done twice on the last trip to Virginia and back... once braking hard and veering... and not a problem. Not at all comfortable, mind you, and she swung a bit, but still manageable with the manual application of trailer brakes. Well, OK, the wife wanted to beat me, but other than that...
Old 11-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Done twice on the last trip to Virginia and back... once braking hard and veering... and not a problem. Not at all comfortable, mind you, and she swung a bit, but still manageable with the manual application of trailer brakes. Well, OK, the wife wanted to beat me, but other than that...
So you have the 1 in a 1,000 configuration. I still would not encourage others to do without some form of sway control.

What kind of WDH do you use?
Old 11-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
So you have the 1 in a 1,000 configuration. I still would not encourage others to do without some form of sway control.

What kind of WDH do you use?
I have an EAZ-Lift 10,000/1000 WDH and it has a friction sway control setup. I just chose not to install it this time. I didn't use it the last year I had the old trailer. I am about to upgrade that to a Blue Ox because the coupler on my new trailer is under-slung. The new hitch doesn't appear to have any friction sway control, either. This new trailer is more stable because the axles are further apart. That seems to calm things down a bit. It doesn't turn sharply as well, but everything is a trade-off. I've not encouraged anyone to do anything. I've shared my experience. What someone does with that information is on them... not me.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #16

I pull the same trailer with a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel and wouldn't think of pulling without sway control. I have a hitch with built in sway control and it does a great job. Towed over the Mackinaw Bridge this summer in high winds with no issues at all.
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #17

Quote:
I have an EAZ-Lift 10,000/1000 WDH and it has a friction sway control setup. I just chose not to install it this time. I didn't use it the last year I had the old trailer. I am about to upgrade that to a Blue Ox because the coupler on my new trailer is under-slung. The new hitch doesn't appear to have any friction sway control, either. This new trailer is more stable because the axles are further apart. That seems to calm things down a bit. It doesn't turn sharply as well, but everything is a trade-off. I've not encouraged anyone to do anything. I've shared my experience. What someone does with that information is on them... not me.
That's the exact same hitch I use to tow my Open Range 216 (#7800 ready to go) behind my Nissan Armada. The Armada has a shorter wheelbase so I use 2 friction type sway controls and get excellent results too. My trailer also has the wide spaced axles rated at #4400 each and I just installed 4 new #2500 springs (one of the OEM springs broke) and a Mor Ride wet bolt kit. My coupler is on top so I don't have the "under-slung" issue to deal with.

I don't think I said you encouraged anybody to do anything. At least I didn't intend to imply that you did.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #18

Good Evening: The EQ hitch that I have is a Huskey http://www.huskytow.com/wp-includes/...okup/31422.pdf. It appears from the manual that they have a "sway bar" that can be purchased as part of the unit. As a newbie my belief is that I should purchase one and install it. As someone put it, it can't hurt. Others have said that since the trailer is only a "23" that I don't need it but I would rather error on the side of safety.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 12-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #19

Hi, the EQ hitch is as follows: http://www.huskytow.com/wp-includes/...okup/31422.pdf. This is a link to the manual. It appears that I can purchase a "sway control" that integrates with this unit.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 12-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Hi, the EQ hitch is as follows: http://www.huskytow.com/wp-includes/...okup/31422.pdf. This is a link to the manual. It appears that I can purchase a "sway control" that integrates with this unit.
We also have a Husky hitch like this. We just recently bought two anti-sway bars and it does make a big difference. It just feels more solid on the road. When made the appointment to have the two installed, the guy says, "Why do you want two? Are you planning on driving through a tornado?" LOL. I said, the manufacturer recommends two for our length of trailer, so that's why.

Anyhow, maybe one would have done the job, but I tend to follow instructions, so now we got two of 'em!

PS: Those suckers do make a lot of noise when turning. Hubby loosened them a bit, and that seemed to help. I guess they naturally fight too sharp of a turn?
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eq hitch, newbie, sway bars, sway controls