Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Do you Jay Flight 22FB owners out there enjoy it? Any Insights?

Hi, We're pretty serious about getting a Jay Flight 22FB and were wondering if others who have one have enjoyed it. We bought our first TT this summer, a Keystone Bullet, 28 foot rear living model and after 6 weeks I ran it into the storage fence and totaled it out. The bid was $12000 just for the labor. They had to replace the whole left 28 foot wall, the cover on the slide out and the back wall. Unreal. My wife is still traumatized. She was standing right there. We're going with a smaller unit now that can be fixed. That's why we're considering the 22FB. We've camped in full-size GMC vans the last 20 years and maybe got a bit ahead of ourselves jumping right to a 28 foot model. The 22FB is smaller but still has room for company and a queen bed with space on both sides and a 90 gallon tank and electric awning. It's also 900 pounds lighter. My 1995 350 V-8 GMC Van dragged a bit with the Bullet (5400 pounds dry) and I'm hoping the lighter weight of the 22FB will work better from that angle. Anyway, that's our story in a nutshell. Any encouragement you can give will be appreciated. Our kids are grown so most of the time we'd be alone. Thanks.
cdedbdwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #2

We have had one for a year now. We love it. Spent some time customizing it.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ight-22FB-mods

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #3

With the kids moved on and pop-up sold the 2012 22FB is a perfect fit for both of us. we have no complaints about it. I do like the 90 gallons of fresh water it last a long time when dry camping. the best thing we like is park it, unhook, level, pull out the awning and happly camping in a very short amount of time compaired to the pop-up. BTW the TW is a 1/2 ton 2011 GMC and pulls fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdedbdwings View Post
Hi, We're pretty serious about getting a Jay Flight 22FB and were wondering if others who have one have enjoyed it. We bought our first TT this summer, a Keystone Bullet, 28 foot rear living model and after 6 weeks I ran it into the storage fence and totaled it out. The bid was $12000 just for the labor. They had to replace the whole left 28 foot wall, the cover on the slide out and the back wall. Unreal. My wife is still traumatized. She was standing right there. We're going with a smaller unit now that can be fixed. That's why we're considering the 22FB. We've camped in full-size GMC vans the last 20 years and maybe got a bit ahead of ourselves jumping right to a 28 foot model. The 22FB is smaller but still has room for company and a queen bed with space on both sides and a 90 gallon tank and electric awning. It's also 900 pounds lighter. My 1995 350 V-8 GMC Van dragged a bit with the Bullet (5400 pounds dry) and I'm hoping the lighter weight of the 22FB will work better from that angle. Anyway, that's our story in a nutshell. Any encouragement you can give will be appreciated. Our kids are grown so most of the time we'd be alone. Thanks.

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #4

we have a 2011 and it suits us well. any longer of a rig and it would be a lot harder or impossible to fit it into some of our camping spots. we love the rear bathroom and the queen up front and the water capacity. the storage in it is very sufficient also, we can even stuff our kayaks and gear under the couch. we have the full insulation package which helps extend the camping season a bit and makes the trailer a lot more comfortable. one of the only things we would change on it would be a longer couch but to fix that we have a foot stool the same height of the couch and it is very comfortable to sit or lay on now.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
We have had one for a year now. We love it. Spent some time customizing it.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ight-22FB-mods
Thanks for the link to your mods. Those are good ideas.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowsfamily View Post
With the kids moved on and pop-up sold the 2012 22FB is a perfect fit for both of us. we have no complaints about it. I do like the 90 gallons of fresh water it last a long time when dry camping. the best thing we like is park it, unhook, level, pull out the awning and happly camping in a very short amount of time compaired to the pop-up. BTW the TW is a 1/2 ton 2011 GMC and pulls fine.
Yeah, we're looking forward to just relaxing by a campfire and not doing so much work!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2bob View Post
we have a 2011 and it suits us well. any longer of a rig and it would be a lot harder or impossible to fit it into some of our camping spots. we love the rear bathroom and the queen up front and the water capacity. the storage in it is very sufficient also, we can even stuff our kayaks and gear under the couch. we have the full insulation package which helps extend the camping season a bit and makes the trailer a lot more comfortable. one of the only things we would change on it would be a longer couch but to fix that we have a foot stool the same height of the couch and it is very comfortable to sit or lay on now.
I don't think the one we're looking at has that insulation package, but we'd be interested in a longer camping season, too. I'll have to check. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #8

I had a Jayco Jayflight G23 FB and it was a nice trailer. You said the one your looking at has a 90 gallon tank, doesn't sound right to me, you better check it out again. It's really not a comfortable trailer, the couch isn't very comfortable and there is no where else to sit except for the kitchen table. We traded it in and got a 29 Ft rear lounge with 2 slides and would never go back to a smaller trailer. I don't think you would be happy with a smaller trailer once you had that nice one with the rear lounge. Depending on the towing capacity of your tow vehicle I would get the biggest one that you can tow safely.
This was my 23 FB

And my 29RLDS

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

Well, to each their own. I guess two foot-itis exists in the RV world as well as the boat world.
Most of our camping is just the two of us, and we find our 23 FB just fine.
It most certainly DOES have a 90 gallon water tank (actually 2 45 gallon tanks paired together).
As others have said, it fits nicely into the smaller state park camping spurs and navigates some of the hairpin turns in getting to the campsites.
We are OK with not having everything perfect...after all, we are camping and not at some resort. We're hardly roughing it, but also don't need all the luxuries we enjoy at home. Making do on some things is part of the fun. I'm 6 feet tall, and still fit well on the short queen, and with a foam topper it is very comfortable. And when we're not enjoying the outdoors, we do a lot of reading, with one person on the couch and another at the table....works well for us.

That's the great thing about RVing and the world of Camping - there are almost infinite sizes and designs for travel trailer & 5th wheels. Whatever you need or like, it is out there for you. Merry Christmas to all! And I hope you each get that perfect RV stocking stuffer on Christmas morn.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #10

It is a great rig for 2 people, and in our case, a small dog. We had one for about a year and a half. Because others wanted to come camping w/ us, we had to move to a longer rig as it was too cozy for more than 2 people.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #11

We had a 22FB as our first trailer. It was fine as entry level trailers go, and I did have a couple of issues, not necessarily quality related. Because of the location of the sofa, it was a one person seat unless you wanted to sit with your knees jammed into the kitchen cabinet. If you folded it out, it was only long enough to sleep a small child comfortably, which doesn't apply to us. DW commandeered the sofa, so that left me with the dinette which after a short period with my neck arched, looking up at the TV, became rather uncomfortable. The seat foam also compressed badly making the seating very hard. We kept it less than a year and moved to a Keystone Outback.Comfy sofa, comfy swivel rockers, and two slide outs give us all the room we need. That said, I would recommend the 22FB as a trial trailer, meaning that if after a while you decide that RVing just isn't for you, you aren't out a lot of money. As far as build quality, I think Jayco is at least up there with most manufacturers and it's hard to go wrong with their 2 year warranty. The floorplan is as good as anyone else is going to do with that length trailer. it's like arranging items in a box. You only have so much room to work with. Good Luck..
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #12

Look at the 24FBS the slide makes a really nice trailer. We moved up from a 97 230SL and the extra 4 feet made the trailer more livable. the bathroom is great for a wide body like me. My wife loves the counter space. We were lucky and found a 18mo old, used three times used/new trailer
Old 11-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #13

We have a 2016 22QBC and love it just the right size for us... Wife is 5' n I'm 5'3 n we both fit on couch n can watch tv on table, an then w/tv still there we can sit cross from each for dinner. We pull it w/ Chevy 1/2 ton w/ no problem. EZ to set up...When grandkids show up they sleep in a tent... N love it we do dry camp , rv parks state n fed parks ...happy camping...
Bob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:38 AM   #14

We have the J Flight 23RB. It the follow on from the 22FB. It's layout is exactly the same as the 22FB except another foot was added somewhere.

We find the 23RB is perfect for us. I've never been tempted to move up to a larger trailer.

I like the no slide, and the 90 gallon fresh water tanks. The black and gray tanks are pretty large at about 40 gal each. Both my wife and I can sit on the sofa, with neigher of us having our knees poking into the kitchen cabinet.

As for poor cushions, I haven't seen too many seats in entry level TT's that have good to great cushions. We fixed the ones in the dinette by buying a piece of foam that fit each seat cushion. High quality, very firm foam.

My problem is how to do the same to the sofa.

Also, hopefully the 22FB you're looking at has a different dinette table than came in the 23RB. The table in the 23RB is craptactular. It's super heavy, and hard to unfold and fold. The best think for it is to just store it in the corner of the garage, and to forget about it until it's time to get rid of the trailer.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:22 AM   #15

The best trailer I ever owned was a 21FB.... I hate so bad I sold it. Looking for another one now.