Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Do you take your TT on rough back roads?

New member here.... I'm thinking of getting out of my 30' Arctic Fox and into a Jay Flight 19RD. I do a lot of driving on gravel, washboard, rutted, bumpy back roads, typically in the remote desert. I was wondering if any of you suffer from the same vice, and how your Jayco has held up under these conditions.
damdifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #2

we do with our 23fb but go very slow. had the fittings under the sink faucet loosen once. and by going slow, i mean 10 mph or slower over the rough stuff.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #3

I've traveled through some pretty rough areas with my TT. My main concern was with my tires, but they've held up well for bout 30K miles so far. Just take is really slow through the rough stuff and try not to let your stablizing jacks hit the ground. Right now I'm parked in the rocky desert south of Quartzsite, which I consider nice and smooth compared to some of the other places I've been. LOL
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #4

Had one experience in the Detroit area about 15 years ago where the rough roads used by those steel hauling trucks with axles from end to end literally broke the frame on my small TT. I tried going no faster than 20 mph, but the deep potholes caused separation of the front wall at the bottom from the rest of the TT, and by the time I got to a CG just south of Detroit, the TT frame was literally broken in two (both rails) and scraping the ground. Had to hire a portable welder to come out, straighten the frame, and weld it back together. Hammer and nails put the front wall back together temporarily, and when I got it home to VA, had to rebuild the entire front end.

Moral of the story, I would NEVER take my camper on severely rough terrain - too much $$ and effort invested to risk tearing it apart. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #5

When I tow on rough back roads I go very slowly. If you go slow enough you can do it.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #6

Hmmmmm....that would be no....sometimes it is bad enough trying to going over speed bumps..lol
Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #7

Yes, i take my 23 fb on rough back roads. I am a camper not a RVr. As such most of camping is in a boondocking situation. I would not own a trailer i could not take on back roads. My former trailer was used for 15 year in this manner with no serious harm. I know i will get flamed for this but i am not a beleiver in WD hitches for rough roads. I tried WD hitches many years ago and had problems, also have seen others have problems. Spinning on steep hills, losing traction on steep dips, problems with twisting on ruts and other things to will run into. I do have a 2500 tow vehicle with heavy duty shocks and air bags to maintain proper ride height. I do use a friction type sway bar for high speed highway driving. I have never had an issue using only the sway bar without the wd.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #8

My first trip out a few years ago with my new single axle camper 16 ft TT, I had to cross 3 texas gates. Made the mistake of going slow (5 MPH), and bounced almost everything out of the cupboards. Crossed them much faster going home, no problems at all. With upgrade to the dual axle TT, much less bounce in the trailer regardless of the condition of the roads.