Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Do you "visit" your stored trailer?

Recently bought a 2010 Jayco from a dealer that is about 90 minutes from my house. As part of our deal they are storing it on their lot over the winter and then I will take delivery at the beginning of next camping season.

Does it make sense to every now and then check on the camper during the winter? It is common for veteran trailer owners to visit or inspect the camper while in storage?
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I do not visit my trailer as it is in cold storage at an old manufacturing plant.
We drop it off Nov. 1 and pick it up Apr. 1.
Did not have any problems with mice or anything else last year.

If I was storing it at a lot, I would probably inspect once/month just for piece of mind.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

Do you "visit" your stored trailer?

I visit mine mostly to dream of warmer weather restock new gadgets.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #4

We store ours outside during the winter so I do make a point to check it 1x per month. During this time I make sure no new leaks have developed, no mice have entered or other critters and I also check the damp rid buckets I place in the trailer to reduce moisture. Also if it is stored at a self storage place you can make sure no one has damaged the trailer. Just peace of mind.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

I check mine several times a week, but that's because it's sitting in the driveway. In all seriousness when we did use a storage facility I would check it a couple times a month.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #6

store mine a couple miles away and check on it a few times each month also.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #7

yes, at least once a month. You need to check for uninvited guest (mice). We use dryer sheets in all the drawers and steel wool in any cavity which they could enter. If you leave your trailer for six several months you may be surprised at what you find in April. In addition you need to check tire inflation the condition of your cover (if you use one) and moisture which may build up.
Westie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekender View Post
We store ours outside during the winter so I do make a point to check it 1x per month. During this time I make sure no new leaks have developed, no mice have entered or other critters and I also check the damp rid buckets I place in the trailer to reduce moisture. Also if it is stored at a self storage place you can make sure no one has damaged the trailer. Just peace of mind.
X2. Plus My trailer is stored at a friends about 20 min from home. I also empty the dri-z-air pods of water and re fill with the moisture granular when needed. And make sure my cover is still properly secured.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #9

We've been storing our TT's at the county fair grounds for 10 years this winter. They put the campers inside the different pole barns/buildings in mid-Oct and they don't come out until mid April snow-cover permitting. The buildings and grounds are locked up so I can't get in to check on it, but then again, nobody else can get in either. If the locked gates and buildings don't discourage the 'riff-raff', trudging through 3' or 4' of snow for about a half mile definitely will.

We stored our 2005 every winter we had it until we sold it this past spring. Our 2013 Eagle 284 BHS goes into winter hibernation on 10/11.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #10

Although it's on the side of my house, I check the trailer about once a week when winterized to make sure the cover is in good shape, and check for any critters inside.

About once a month I"ll pull the trailer forward a couple feet to rotate the tires.

Sometimes I'll find myself sitting inside daydreaming about the next trip...but that's a different thread I guess.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #11

Ours has been stored for winter in a 2-sided barn I built for it on our property. So it could be checked as frequently as we thought necessary. A couple weeks ago we left it on our rented lot in the Phoenix area after a brief summer visit, and a friend is keeping an eye on it and our TV and shed until we go down there in November, so I don't anticipate trouble. Still, I'm a little uncomfortable about the situation. Is it worth the 160 gallons of fuel we've saved by not bringing it back home?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote