Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Does anyone have a Jay Feather 23 BHM

This is our first TT and we're pretty stoked about it. Was wondering if anyone else has one. Any tips or thoughts about it. Anything to look out for and ideas to make it better.

All responses welcomed!
fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

Anyone?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #3

Maybe you are the first?
Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #4

Do you have it yet or is it on order. If it's on order then you might have the first one because their web site does not confirm weights for this unit. Because it's the 1st one it would be in your best interest to go over EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb!!! Fit and finish, all screws in straight, plumbing lines with no kinks and no stress on the fittings. Make sure they caulk your sinks, you wouldn't be the first one to have a rotted out counter top.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #5

Jayco Jay Feather

Hello there I am new to this forum and was looking over a few questions and came across you thread. I don't have the model you have but I do have a 2007 model of the Jay Feather and just love it. My wife and I go camping every chance we get. I like the fact that my trailer only weighs 5200 lbs and has a tong weight of only 525 lbs which makes it easy to pull with my F 250 diesel truck. I hope you enjoy your trailer just as much as we do.
Labrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrauer View Post
Hello there I am new to this forum snip...
Hello to you and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #7

Not a new floor plan. One of my many brother in laws has one several years old. Can't remember year but same floor plan. We stayed in it once upon a time while our previous full time rig was getting repairs done. It's a good weekender for 2 adults / 2 kids. There are a few things I might would change. I'll jog my brain a little and post later when on a laptop.

Welcome to the forum!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
There are a few things I might would change. I'll jog my brain a little and post later when on a laptop.

Welcome to the forum!
I think one would be the dinette table, there's no comfortable place for your feet because of the bars on the floor and the up rights and cross bar in your knees way. They say it's a portable table that you can take outside but I wonder how many people actually will do that on a regular bases.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #9

I have the 2016 bhm! I've only owned it since November and have used it on one camping trip. It's my first RV as well and I love it. Since I only have one trip under my belt, I don't have a ton of advice. I can tell you that we quickly realized the need for coat hooks, shelving in the cabinets and insulation (for winter camping).
Therealneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealneil View Post
I have the 2016 bhm! I've only owned it since November and have used it on one camping trip. It's my first RV as well and I love it. Since I only have one trip under my belt, I don't have a ton of advice. I can tell you that we quickly realized the need for coat hooks, shelving in the cabinets and insulation (for winter camping).
Congratulaotions on your new Jayco and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealneil View Post

Looks like we are the first official member of the 23 BHM club.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Do you have it yet or is it on order. If it's on order then you might have the first one because their web site does not confirm weights for this unit. Because it's the 1st one it would be in your best interest to go over EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb!!! Fit and finish, all screws in straight, plumbing lines with no kinks and no stress on the fittings. Make sure they caulk your sinks, you wouldn't be the first one to have a rotted out counter top.

It's on order. Won't pick it up until mid March. We have a few check lists of ideas of stuff to look for.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I think one would be the dinette table, there's no comfortable place for your feet because of the bars on the floor and the up rights and cross bar in your knees way. They say it's a portable table that you can take outside but I wonder how many people actually will do that on a regular bases.
That's funny because we kinda liked the fact that the table was moveable. Like moving it over to the couch, outside, etc. But now that you mention it I wonder how much of an annoyance it will be at the dinette with the table legs in the way. Something to see I guess.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
That's funny because we kinda liked the fact that the table was moveable. Like moving it over to the couch, outside, etc. But now that you mention it I wonder how much of an annoyance it will be at the dinette with the table legs in the way. Something to see I guess.
Can you give us a review of your trailer after having used it for a year? We have a 2017 23BHM on order.
sfarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #15

We have the 2015 Jay Flight 23BHM. The floor plan is the same as the JayFeather. We love the floorplan and have been on many longer trips. We have a 6 and 8 yr old with us. We have made a few minor mods to ours:

1. Put shelves in the front wardrobes
2. Added a number of towel hooks
3. Added finger holes to the storage plywood hatch under the rear bunk for easier opening
4. Upgraded the electric tongue jack. The stock one had lots of trouble lifting my truck when hooking up the weight distribution - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5. Put a new mattress on. We love this one. It fits great with the murphy bed and is super comfortable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
6. We are upgrading the stock tires this week to Maxxis. We have put over 5k on the stock ones and we have 3 big trips coming up in the next several months

We have found this floorplan to work really well for us. It has plenty of storage and hasn't felt too small for us. It is easy to tow and park.

Hope that helps.

JP

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #16

We have a 2016 Feather 23RBM. Since buying it in August, we have camped it about 20-25 nights, not sure exactly. We love it! There are pros and cons to every model. Right now, our 23RBM fits the two of us very well. We have a huge U dinette, a sofa, an ample kitchen, and a generous bath; and the unit has all the interior storage we need. We could use more exterior storage - a Murphy bed trade-off = more space inside, less storage outside. We are satisfied with our purchase.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarw View Post
Can you give us a review of your trailer after having used it for a year? We have a 2017 23BHM on order.
Will do! Give me some time and I will.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarw View Post
We used for a year, but don't have a ton of nights in it yet. We took a handful of trips, the longest being about 10 hours away. It pulls great with our Ford. We were/are pretty lucky in the fact that we didn't have any issues with it.

The double bunks in the back are great for our daughter to use on the bottom and great for gear on the top bunk. The are pretty small for an adult, but my friend did sleep there one night and he said it wasn't too bad at all. He's 6' about 220 or so.

The murphy bed is great, wish we each had a reading light built in above each side of the bed. Would probably be easier for my wife. The bathroom is small and there isn't a lot of room to sit on the toilet. This usually isn't a problem since we like campgrounds with all of the amenities, but we did boondock last year and it was a tad annoying. I haven't used the shower yet so no comment there. We do really like the fact that the sink is outside of the bathroom though, very handy.

Our only complaint is probably the lack of storage. Wish there was more, but it really is fine for what we pack. It's funny because earlier I said we liked the moveable table, but now having used it, it's annoying that the legs are always in someone's way. In the grand scheme of things though it's pretty minor.

We haven't done many mods other than adding a few hooks here and there. Only regret is that I didn't order the aluminum rims That has bugged me more than it probably should. We have a weekend scheduled the first week in June and then about 4 or 5 days in Gettysburg so far. Any questions just ask away.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #19

We have one we bought last April, spent on average 2 weekends a month from then until October and for the most part, we love it. First the bad, the outside storage sucks, the inside isn't much better but the cabinets next to beds are pretty deep and useful. We have 3 larger dogs, 2 pre-teens, and two adults so it is at max capacity and after a 14 day trip in May we will be putting it up for sale and trading it in next offseason if it doesn't sell by then. I love the bathroom sink right next to the door and the kitchen is pretty good sized for the small camper. The murphy bed gets annoying but not horribly so, but it is pretty spacious inside with it folded up. All in all, I love it as a beginners camper but when we bought it we thought we'd have room to grow with it but there are too many little issues that we have with it to keep it long term. Unfortunately, we will probably move away from Jayco with our next one because we want a bunkroom for the kids and there aren't any good options for travel trailers that I've found.
dewey405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #20

We owned a 2016 23MBH last season and the only reason we no longer have it is because it was totaled by hail in September. We have two young kids (8 & 6) I thought this trailer was the perfect starter TT. The overall size and length allowed for a newbie (ME!) to become familiar with pulling, backing and maneuvering a trailer for the first time. The floor plan was nice and being able to flip up the bed to expose the couch really made it feel roomy inside. The kids loved the bunks. As others have said, due to the murphy bed it lacks outdoor storage. The inside storage seemed adequate, but you'll need to be creative. I learned you could "lose" things behind/under the murphy bed when my wallet went missing one night. Luckily you can access that area via the outside storage compartments.

Overall, we'd still have this trailer if it hadn't gotten totaled. I think you'll be very happy with it! Good luck!
GoodOldGus is offline   Reply With Quote