Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #1

Does anyone tow with ford E150 5.4?

I have a 2008 ford E150 hightop wheelchair van with a 5.4 and was wondering what would be a realistic trailer weight this van could tow?
GVWR = 8600
Front GAWR = 3800
Rear GAWR = 5120

Wheelchair lift weighs 325lb
Dont know how much hightop adds to weight.
Markk231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #2

Visit a CAT Scale and get your axle weights. The Rear GAWR (from the yellow sticker) minus the rear axle weight will tell you how much more weight can be added. Let's say that's 700#. The tongue should be 15% of the TT weight. The calculator says 700 / 0.15 is 4666#. So that's the max loaded TT weight (estimate) that the TV could tolerate. YMMV
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

Are you looking at getting a wheelchair accessible TT? I would think you could pull a single axle, featherlight TT probably about 5 to 6K. An equalizer hitch will help distribute the TT weight through the van for a stable ride. Do you have a good frame mounted 2" receiver hitch? The final thing is you might find that the van will get disappointing fuel mileage. If you stepped up to a newer E250 or E350 you will be getting a V10 that will have no problem towing up to 10K. I have an E450 Class C that is about 12K with a V10.

Jeff and Deidra
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jeffdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Visit a CAT Scale and get your axle weights. The Rear GAWR (from the yellow sticker) minus the rear axle weight will tell you how much more weight can be added. Let's say that's 700#. The tongue should be 15% of the TT weight. The calculator says 700 / 0.15 is 4666#. So that's the max loaded TT weight (estimate) that the TV could tolerate. YMMV
The CAT Scale is your friend.
ok i an a bit confused, lets just say the rear axle weight is form the scale is 3000#, so i would take the rear GWAR of 5120 and subtract 3000 =2120 and divide that by .15 that would = 14133#. i must be doing something wrong. i don't think the back of my van weighs that much ( I know i have to get it weighed ). I would be using a weigh distributing hitch.

Thanks for you help.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdee View Post
Are you looking at getting a wheelchair accessible TT? I would think you could pull a single axle, featherlight TT probably about 5 to 6K. An equalizer hitch will help distribute the TT weight through the van for a stable ride. Do you have a good frame mounted 2" receiver hitch? The final thing is you might find that the van will get disappointing fuel mileage. If you stepped up to a newer E250 or E350 you will be getting a V10 that will have no problem towing up to 10K. I have an E450 Class C that is about 12K with a V10.
I am looking for a TT that i could use a wheelchair that i would leave inside and use a chair lift bolted to the outside next to the door. My problem is i would like to have a bunk beds for the grand kids and that puts me in a bigger TT. I do agree with you on the new van with the v10, but it would be 2 to 3 years befor i can afford a new one (wheelchair vans are not cheep paid $60000 for the one i have now with some ins help). i do have a good factory mounted hitch (van has rv tow package). ultimately i may have to wait if i can only tow 4500#.

Thanks for you Help
Old 03-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk231 View Post
ok i an a bit confused, lets just say the rear axle weight is form the scale is 3000#, so i would take the rear GWAR of 5120 and subtract 3000 =2120 and divide that by .15 that would = 14133#. i must be doing something wrong. i don't think the back of my van weighs that much ( I know i have to get it weighed ). I would be using a weigh distributing hitch.

Thanks for you help.
I think you are on the right track.
Our previous TV was an '03 Expedition 5.4 and the rear axle weighed in at 3100# (no TT). Our current TV is a '13 F350 and is 3360# on the rear axle (noTT).

In your example you have 2120# remaining cargo capacity. The tongue should be about 15% of the total trailer weight for a bumper-pull TT. The reverse math (2120/0.15) will suggest a max trailer weight which works out to the 14133#.
The rear axle weight should be taken with the truck in a "this is how we will travel" mode meaning full gas tank, all occupants and the chair lift etc.
The numbers suggest you could pull a pretty heavy TT (14k# at the max). But I wouldn't shop for the heaviest trailer the truck could pull but rather something no heavier than 10-12k# range (loaded).
When you look at the published weights of a TT keep in mind that will be a completely empty TT. I would add 1000# to the published weight to get an estimate of what a TT would weigh with battery, propane and all my stuff aboard.
I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Everyone else: if I'm off on my advise please chime in!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #7

You really need to get this van weighed. But first it needs to be loaded with the things you'll have with you (spouse, grandkids, clothing and supplies, gasoline, wheel chair, etc). There is way too much at stake if you're wrong - and overloaded.

Available payload will be your limiting factor, and I'm thinking with all that cargo, plus your lift and high top, it'll leave you very little additional cargo weight for even the smallest of trailers.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
You really need to get this van weighed. But first it needs to be loaded with the things you'll have with you (spouse, grandkids, clothing and supplies, gasoline, wheel chair, etc). There is way too much at stake if you're wrong - and overloaded.

Available payload will be your limiting factor, and I'm thinking with all that cargo, plus your lift and high top, it'll leave you very little additional cargo weight for even the smallest of trailers.

Thanks, i fear you may be right, i guess i will load the van up for travel and have it weighed, that will tell the true story.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

And while I may be completely wrong, it's better to be safe than sorry. The only way to know what you can safely pull, within specs, all starts with an accurate vehicle starting weight.

Subtract that amount from your total vehicle allowable weight and shop from there.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:12 AM   #10

I too looked for a TT that could be outfitted with a lift for a wheelchair bound person. After researching I found it would be cheaper to buy a Toy Hauler and just lower the rear door to drive the wheelchair in.
I was informed the walls on a TT would need alot of reinforcing to support the weight of the lift and the person being lifted as well as the doorway needing to be made wider.
Looking at used campers I could only locate Class A motor homes that had the lift installed.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
I too looked for a TT that could be outfitted with a lift for a wheelchair bound person. After researching I found it would be cheaper to buy a Toy Hauler and just lower the rear door to drive the wheelchair in.
I was informed the walls on a TT would need alot of reinforcing to support the weight of the lift and the person being lifted as well as the doorway needing to be made wider.
Looking at used campers I could only locate Class A motor homes that had the lift installed.
I had thought about a toy hauler also, but the door form the garage to the living area is not wide enough on the ones i look at. and then to get one that sleeps 6 i am once again outside of my weight limit of my current TV.

thank for the idea though, i think i am going to put this off until i can get a better TV or a Motor home. They each have there pluses and minuses.