Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2022, 11:35 AM   #21

I have a Garmin Rv 780 most of the time it does a good job. We just finished a 4000 mile tour of the Southwest and it sent us wrong twice. We don't have cellphones that can use the internet and on this particular trip our laptop went wack-a-doodle.

As norty said multiple sources are best. I bought paper maps for each state we were going to be in, as well as printing addresses and phone numbers of our camp sites, along with grocery stores in major cities we were passing through.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:41 AM   #22

I mostly use the Waze app on my phone while connected to the screen in my truck. It works well and I don’t have to worry about updating a separate GPS. I’ve also played with the TruckMap app. It allows you to set height limits for a truck or RV.
nfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:23 AM   #23

As norty1 said, lots of new units out there. I recently got the Garmin 1090 RV GPS which has lots of RV specific features, like Gas Stations, food places, RV parks, and of course, you can tell it what you are driving to keep you from low bridges and such. The feature I like the most though, it has a BIG screen I can see clearly when driving lol.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:24 PM   #24

So the outcome is to use what you have i use Waze and it does work just fine for me vs all others but that is just me.
Attleboro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:55 PM   #25

We had a TomTom that was near useless and it died with two days of use. Nest was a Magellan with free lifetime map updates that seldom happened. It was not an RV GPS, so it sent us down some very questionable roads that you wouldn't want to be towing a trailer.

So, we now rely on a Garmin 780 with the TV and trailer length and height entered. It gets (free) updates frequently. When Buetoothed to a smart phone, it warns of traffic slowdowns and bad weather. It also warns of speeding, upcoming curves and hills and will even warn of red light cameras as you approach one.

It did fail on me and was switching screens like one was touching it real fast. I sent it to Garmin and they replaced it for free. So, good customer support, too.

YMMV,

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote