Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #1

Does anyone use a special RV GPS when traveling?

We are looking at the Garmin and the Rand McNally units. Has anyone used either one? If so, do you think it is worth the extra money? Thanks!
2Mainers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #2

I use a regular GPS. Looked into buying one of the RV or truck ones but couldn't justify the expense. I do not travel backroads much and would not really rely on the GPS to tell me about low bridges. There are truck maps that are better for that.

What are you looking for it to do, may be a better question. I believe they data log various fuel and distance info.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

I have the Rand McNally for RV's. Have used it for two summers now, about 10,000 miles of total travel thru MI, OH, NY, VT, NH and southern Ontario. I'm really happy with its operation when in the USA. The one beef I have is the routing directions for southern Ontario always wants to take me off the divided highway right into downtown Toronto, when I just want to pass thru on my way to somewhere else. I have not encountered anything like that when in the states I've been thru. The preference settings do not get it to change this bad habit. BTW, it does the same downtown thing with London, Ontario. I've concluded, their maps for Canada must be a little screwy. Yes, I have the latest map updates.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #4

Although I described my "beef" with the Rand McNally RV GPS, I would not want to be without it. On two occasions, one in NY and one in MI, it successfully routed us around some construction which would have slowed us down. It has been quite helpful the majority of the time, but is not infallible. In general, I think a GPS should be used as a guide only and not gospel by any means. Read the road signs as they have priority. The GPS are only as good as the software written inside them.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #5

We have an old Garmin that works well, after you learn how to use it. We are considering upgrading to a Magellan 7" GPS. I believe the number is 9250T. Enjoy the hunt for the right GPS for you. There are a million of them.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #6

I do not have one yet but I will have for my next long trip. My TomTom sent me down a very narrow curvy road to go into Beech Fork State Park in W.V. Got stuck because tree limbs were so low they would have hit the truck. to low on the recommended route. The road was not much wider than the camper with some 5 MPH curves. It was too hilly and dangerous to back up. You would have to be there to see how bad it was. I tried and decided not safe ', too steep and to tight a turn to take a chance . A lady who worked at the park actually came up the road I was supposed to go down(per the GPS) and said "NO WAY - You have to figure out a way to get turned around and go back. ". I walked down Camp Branch Road trying to find a driveway to back into and turn around. First house had a down tree blocking driveway. Walked further to a house with a circle drive. Tight turn with one wheel of trailer floating in air as I made the cut into drive. Tore up some of their grass because of wheel slide on narrow/tight drive. Long story, but I made up my mind right there to upgrade to a GPS with RV routing. It's kinda funny now but I was sure worried at the time. If interested in My route look at Camp Branch Rd and 54 on Google Earth. I was stuck where the 54 turned left off Camp Branch. Someone with a little more experience might have been able to turn my rig around there but not me.

Johnie and Brenda
Central Illinois
2012 Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7
2012 Jayco 242
jmactootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #7

Tom Tom works great for us. You can find gas, diesel, campgrounds, banks, motels, places to eat.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #8

A GPS is a great tool to assist you in navigation, however, it should not be your only tool, it should be combined with pre trip planning, maps, map programs, and GPS trip planning. There are too many resources at hand nowadays for anyone to use only one source of planning tool for navigation.

My GPS preference is Garmin, I have used several models from the Magellan group, and 5 different models of the Garmin products, and find I like the user interface, the routing, accuracy and speed to compute much better in the Garmin products than the Magellans.

With that, I always first route my trip on my computer using the Garmin Mapsource with City Navigator software, this software has a interface link to Google Earth, so I can overlay the route in Google Earth and follow the route.

During my pre-trip planning, I will create waypoints along the route for fuel, food, rest stops, and assist in planning for total miles to travel, I usually try to keep it between 400 and 600 miles per day. I can estimate my fuel needs and then I use Gas Buddy. com to find the best gas prices along the way, this prevents highway robbery from some of the Interstate fuel stores.

Once on the road, I will use the GPS in the truck from waypoint to waypoint, and to find points of interest along the way.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 AM   #9

I like Garmin. None of them are perfect. The other posters have already said sometimes they take you on a route that is not desirable, and getting to know your navigator is important. I plan my routes in Microsoft Streets & Trips and export them to the Garmin. More flexibility in routing and not difficult to do.

My Garmin has "voice recognition" - wouldn't be without it. We find gas, food, rest areas, and whatever you might need while being on the road, without having to touch the Garmin.

All that said, whenever we pass a Welcome Center, I get a map. There is no substitute.

Edit: Sorry, never answered OP's question. Because the map program is an excellent supplement to the regular Garmin map, we have not gone to one of the RV specific navigators.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #10

Never saw the value in the special GPS that cost a lot more. Have 2 Garmins and use them with some advance trip planning and have never had a problem. The key with any GPS is do some preplanning about your trip. Look at a paper map to get familiar with the overall layout so you can pick up on "traps" that the GPS might want to lead you into. On a layover, take a look at your next day objectives and best routes.

Don't wait until you're speeding down the interstate, 25 miles from your destination or overnite stopping point, and expect your GPS to slip you into a campground or best routing option. We overnite at Wally W's so knowing approximately when we want to stop, we plug WW into the Garmin and it will give us the options coming up over the next 25 - 50 miles. If its a final destination, you always want to have a good understanding of the general area and we always check out their website since they frequently will tell you about mistakes the GPS navigators are making. With a little advance work before going to bed the nite before, you can easily cruise into a stopping point without problems and without getting crossways with the passenger in the copilot seat.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #11

I have the Rand McNally and wouldn't be without it! Last spring we traveled through MI,IA,MS,AR,TX,NM, AZ,CO,NE,MN and OK and never was steered wrong. The extra features were also great. As for the Garmin, I have a regular one in my car which has served me well. They have a long history in the GPS market so I would think their new RV GPS well be good as well. Do not rely on a regular
GPS for guidance when in an RV. We learned the hard way that you can be put in some very nasty situations since they do not recognize and respond accordingly to the size a RV. Hope my experience is of some use to you.
Barndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
With that, I always first route my trip on my computer using the Garmin Mapsource with City Navigator software, this software has a interface link to Google Earth, so I can overlay the route in Google Earth and follow the route.
Wish I could do that with my Rand McNally. Apparently pre-planning on a computer, then uploading, is not possible for the Rand McNally. If someone knows otherwise, let us know.

I do what I can with pre-planning on the GPS itself, using way points etc. This would be way easier on my netbook computer.

I agree with Barndog about the advantages of having the RV size taken into consideration by the GPS device. This is the main reason I opted for an RV specific device. The Rand McNally has never taken me into a situation which the RV could not handle.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #13

Given what I've learned over the last two years, my next GPS would be the new Garmin RV-760LMT.
http://sites.garmin.com/rv/
The flexibility for route planning is the big draw.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Given what I've learned over the last two years, my next GPS would be the new Garmin RV-760LMT.
http://sites.garmin.com/rv/
The flexibility for route planning is the big draw.
Ordered one a couple of days ago and will let folks know how we like it...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #15

My 6 1/2 week trip from central Il. as far as the Conn. east state line with stops in most states along the way I had only one problem with the W.V. Campground. Eastward through north route and back home on southern route. The problem in W.V. was enough to convince me. And I do plan the route in advance and check it through map quest and check it via Google Earth. I still ended up in a bad situation. Once was enough and I will have the RV version of something on my next extended trip. I like state and national park camping and they are quite often in off the main road place.s Waiting for more reviews to come in but would prefer voice activated one. Is interesting to read the comments about GPS.

Johnie and Brenda
Central Illinois
2012 Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7
2012 Jayco 242
jmactootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #16

That sounds familiar! Same thing happened to us. Luckily, we still had the popup and were able to get turned around. Our grandsons still talk about the "stupid gps"...

Our main issue is the expense of the RV gps. We want to make sure we get the biggest bang for our buck!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #17

Just a comment about CG's that are off the beaten path. From experience, the RV specific GPS like mine will take you as close as it can on a safe route, and then give you a warning message that the final leg has issues. The choice is then yours if you want to travel that final leg of narrow gravel road.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #18

That's funny! We only camped in state parks with the popup, all with no hookups. Most things up here in Maine are off the beaten path... The trailer, towing on the interstate, and commercial campgrounds will be a whole new experience.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:42 AM   #19

I have tried several of the GPS program located on the Trip Planning programs and have not liked the format. I have a hard time justifying the cost of the standalone GPS units. Then when it come to an update you have to pay more. I am now using Hammer, which is a free trucker GPS app that really works well. You can input your vehicle size and weight along with information if you are caring propane. It will direct you around all the hazards and low overheads. I usually have Waze playing on my truck screen as well. This gives me information on road conditions and problems with traffic.
Mcburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcburt View Post
I have tried several of the GPS program located on the Trip Planning programs and have not liked the format. I have a hard time justifying the cost of the standalone GPS units. Then when it come to an update you have to pay more. I am now using Hammer, which is a free trucker GPS app that really works well. You can input your vehicle size and weight along with information if you are caring propane. It will direct you around all the hazards and low overheads. I usually have Waze playing on my truck screen as well. This gives me information on road conditions and problems with traffic.
Just to advise you that this thread has not had a post since Jan - 2014, so any advice on here will be dated. I still use my LMT760 Garmin but there have been several newer models since then. I never put all my eggs in one GPS basket and now that there are GPS apps for smart phones, I use multiple references to determine and monitor my route.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote