Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #1

Does the warranty actually cover anything??

Hi All,

In October 2015, we bought a new 2014 145RB. So it should have a warranty until October of this year.

Took it in to RCD Sales in Pataskala this week for the following repairs:
  • Front window seal had a gap in a corner
  • Bumps on inside wallboard on the front wall above the area where the water tank and other stuff is
  • Cord for the trailer was coming apart.

They called me today to say it was all fixed, but the warranty only paid for the cord. She said seals aren't covered by the warranty, and the bumps were caused by the bad window seal, and a spot that was missing sealant on the roof, so they weren't replacing the wallboard, but they did put some sort of sealant on the window and the roof. Apparently at no cost. She also said there was a leak in the corner seam that they sealed.

I pushed and said I thought the warranty was "bumper to bumper" for two years, and she reiterated that no, seals and damage caused by bad seals aren't covered.

Also, she added that if I wanted the wall board and window seal replaced, they would have to take the entire front of the trailer off and I wouldn't have my trailer for months. I pointed out that if my choices were Jeri-rigged repairs in two days, or correct repairs that took two months, I would take the correct repairs.

Has anyone else had issues with any seals with their warranty? Is this actually correct? This isn't how I read the warranty...
Thanks
Steph
Dave&Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #2

If you're talking about caulking and other sealing material they are correct, that is a maintenance issue.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

I guess I did poor maintenance on my two week old Jayco.

When I found the lack of caulk where I could see outside by looking between the window and the wall. I caulked it myself as the dealer was too far away to take it there for something I could do myself.

I guess what all Jayco customers must learn is that you can't trust the factory, warranty or the dealer to find every problem before it goes home with you. Take a lot of time to go over every surface, seal, screw, etc. and make sure they are correct.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #4

I purchased our TT last month and on our second weekend I found some of the wood paneling not measured correctly, thus, leaving a gap in places. The trim didn't cover the gaps in a lot of corners.

I would have thought a visual inspection would have caught that. I'm making a list and will take it to our original dealer in November or December and I'm guessing I'll go through some of the same excuses.
Drolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

The rubber seal around the front window is a maintenance item?? I can see how the roof would be after 18 months, I guess, but the rubber window seal?
Dave&Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #6

Call Jayco customer service and talk with them. That way, when you go into the dealer, you will be forearmed. If they say "COVERED" and the dealer says "NO", you have the answer in hand.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #7

Rubber seal should be, the window caulking, if any, no. As ifallsguy said call or e mail JAYCO.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:21 PM   #8

If your trailer is less than 2 years old, you have a warranty and it should cover the caulking and all the repairs you talked about. I think your real problem is the dealer. They get paid less by the manufacturer so they may just be trying to get you to pay the full cost instead. Like others said, call jayco direct. I never had them deny anything including a new roof and a couple blown tires that took out both sides of my trailer. All under warranty.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #9

This really simple, and if your not aware I could see it would be frustrating, but Jayco warranty covers "seals & caulking" for 90 days from purchase. After that point it's a maintanence item and no longer covered under warranty.

Like it or not, that is the coverage.

However Jayco has been known to be reasonable when the actual customers calls directly for help.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:30 AM   #10
Site Team

If you find problems in any trailer under warranty, don't wait. Take pictures, document who and what was discussed at the dealer and the manufacturer. The longer you wait the more damage and the harder it is to get action.

Jayco has always done me right on warranty. The info I got with mine was very clear that caulking and seals were a maintenance item after 90 days.

My experience is after I drove off the lot, the salesman was not much help. Talk with the warranty or service dept.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals, warranty