Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #81

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
My 2 cents, from a guy who has owned multiple Jaycos .... there are things that i see on my new Jayco that make me shake my head .... ya, the build quality has gone down somewhat, but the major issues i have seen have been mainly supplier made parts / components. So, in some cases it's a Jayco issue, but in most, its the companies that supply the RV industry. Case n Point, brother bought a Jayflight SLX in the fall, when we brought it home two weeks ago to get it ready for vacation, i noted to him that 1/2 the LED's in the LR taillamp were out.... thats the thing i talking about, Jayco doesn't make that part.... it's just cheap crap being imported in to keep costs down.... and we the consumer, suffer for it!
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #82

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Corporations don't have a "Heart" the $ is the heart of a corporation. Over the 50 years of RVing I had my share of repairs and lucky I can do everything myself. Went from small to a big 5er and back to a TT again. Just got my axle lift on the a 2005 Jay Feather LTG 29Y done which should have been done in the first place by the manufacturer.
The saying is; 'if you want it have done right, you have to do it yourself". Seems to me everyone can learn to do things themselves. Where there's a will, there's a way!
Even if we pay 50% of MRSP it is still to much for crappy RV products.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
Old 07-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #83

I currently have a Grand Design Reflection and I'm going to tell you it has been the worst camper we've ever had. Mine has been in the shop for over 4 months at a time and is scheduled to go back to the factory because of ongoing issues. I'm in the process of selling it and going back into a Jayco. Like many have said, the RV manufacturer doesn't make many of the parts and equipment in their products. They are universal across many brands. Most likely my water heater in the Reflection is the same as the one in your Jayco. All of my issues in my Reflection have been structural problems like screws and fasteners breaking. I'd be cautious of Grand Design.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #84

Welcome to the forum, JaycoGreg, and thanks for posting your experience.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Guess I'll wait for the next economic crash to replace it. Seems there is better QC when business is slow. I really believe that.
Couldn't agree more here. Our '12 has been mostly flawless so far. We were looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel at some point but that scares the crap out of me with the way there pumping them out these days.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #86

We purchased our 2018 Jayco White Hawk 30RD just over one month ago. Our issues are a mixed bag of build and component issues. The first issue was during our walk through, the dealer found two warped cabinet doors and wrote up a warranty repair order. (Build issue and Jayco has not yet sent the parts to our dealer.) Two, during the walk through demo of the slide out, the slide out ripped up the flooring. (Build issue and Jayco has not yet sent the parts to our dealer.) Our dealer ordered flooring to be installed tomorrow, and said they will deal with Jayco later about the warranty reimbursement. Three, while on our maiden two day trip, the under sink cabinet filled with water. Dealer found a hairline crack in the drain. Build issue and dealer replaced. Also when hooking up to take the trailer to the dealer for the drain repair, the electric jack wouldn't work. We had to hook-up manually. Component issue and dealer replaced the faulty part from their stock. Four, the second morning of the second trip, we found that our mattress had collapsed. Component issue and we are replacing.

Our little Coleman 29" was trouble free. Our only trip back to the dealer was "user error." We didn't have 30 amp service at home to satisfactorily cool the fridge before our first trip.

We recommend our dealership, but will never recommend a Jayco to our friends and family.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 30RD
2013 Sierra 4x4
Old 09-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #87

The entire RV industry needs to be regulated similar to the auto industry, unfortunately that may raise the cost of ownership.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #88

I'd happily pay a reasonable percentage more to get the level of confidence I have when I purchase a new car or truck.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
The entire RV industry needs to be regulated similar to the auto industry, unfortunately that may raise the cost of ownership.
Well maybe that would help to alleviate the 'Money Pit' aspect from RV ownership.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I'd happily pay a reasonable percentage more to get the level of confidence I have when I purchase a new car or truck.
Average vehicle cost, 33700, 7700 of which is attributable to government regulations since 2008. Source, Heritage Foundation.

That doesn't take into account the costs that have been added since 1968.

Campers wouldn't be saddled with CAFE expenses, but seldom does government lower costs, often increases costs substantially.

Personally I could argue both sides of further government intrusion.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Average vehicle cost, 33700, 7700 of which is attributable to government regulations since 2008. Source, Heritage Foundation.

That doesn't take into account the costs that have been added since 1968.

Campers wouldn't be saddled with CAFE expenses, but seldom does government lower costs, often increases costs substantially.

Personally I could argue both sides of further government intrusion.
That's fine. Whatever the cost is to get something built as any of us would expect it to be built. If that means all I can afford to pull is a 19' Hybrid, so be it. At least I know I got what I paid for and it won't fall apart on me shortly after leaving the dealer's lot.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #92

There are plenty of safety regulations on TT’s that involve approved construction, such as frame, axles, wheels, tires, hitches, lights and brakes. The build quality isn’t something regulated by the government and personally would not want to go there. I would much prefer pure capitalism in this area, otherwise cost could sky rocket without a corresponding improvement in quality. LED lights cost much more than incodecent lights but given a government mandated phase out they all switched to LED. Then we get a massive LED recall because they melt and could burn your TT to the ground. How would the government regulate build quality? They aren’t going to impose crash testing as a means of quality because TT’s don’t have occupants when moving. The only thing they could do is impose standards from the front to the back right down to the hinges on your cabinets.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
There are plenty of safety regulations on TT’s that involve approved construction, such as frame, axles, wheels, tires, hitches, lights and brakes. The build quality isn’t something regulated by the government and personally would not want to go there. I would much prefer pure capitalism in this area, otherwise cost could sky rocket without a corresponding improvement in quality. LED lights cost much more than incodecent lights but given a government mandated phase out they all switched to LED. Then we get a massive LED recall because they melt and could burn your TT to the ground. How would the government regulate build quality? They aren’t going to impose crash testing as a means of quality because TT’s don’t have occupants when moving. The only thing they could do is impose standards from the front to the back right down to the hinges on your cabinets.
Your house has codes. Same could be applied to TT/5th wheels.
Instead of cobbing stuff together there would certain procedures that have to be meet.
Also why not push for a nationwide MSRP like Ford or GM?
Go to any car lot and you can see the same base price.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Your house has codes. Same could be applied to TT/5th wheels.
Instead of cobbing stuff together there would certain procedures that have to be meet.
I've seen a lot of houses that meet code, but are shoddily built. When the drywall installer worked on my last house the quote was "first house I've worked on in 3 months that's not out of square".

Most owners don't see what's under the drywall & insulation.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #95
Site Team

I have seen my doctor googling on his laptop to my complaint! I could do that, but I know he has the degree and experience.

Sometimes fixing things is just knowing where to find the fix. If you don't want to do it or don't feel comfortable that's ok too.

Things will go wrong though.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #96

Quote:
Also why not push for a nationwide MSRP like Ford or GM?
Go to any car lot and you can see the same base price.
Then why can I buy the same car in FL for $1,500 less then in OH, per GM's website? They always ask you for a zipcode when searching.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Then why can I buy the same car in FL for $1,500 less then in OH, per GM's website? They always ask you for a zipcode when searching.
So you're saying the the MSRP is different?
If I build a truck on Fords site it should the same anywhere.
Taxes or destination cost are different.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I've seen a lot of houses that meet code, but are shoddily built. When the drywall installer worked on my last house the quote was "first house I've worked on in 3 months that's not out of square".

Most owners don't see what's under the drywall & insulation.
Would you rather buy a new home that has no code enforcement?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #99

Quote:
So you're saying the the MSRP is different?
If I build a truck on Fords site it should the same anywhere.
Taxes or destination cost are different.
MSRP may be the same, but dealer incentives, and regional sales change the final pricing. GM's discounts are higher right now in FL on certain models, so are FORD's and that is reflected on their web site.

Same with the RV industry, that's why high volume dealers, RV One etc sell them cheaper.

Even if you go to JAYCO's website they ask for zip code for certain models, stating they are built according to market demands in different areas.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #100
Site Team

100 posts and the OP has never responded or updated. It seems this thread has run its course.
Closed Thread