Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2017, 05:58 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
FWIW, I can assure you that using a drill will not wear out the " friction surface". Not sure where you heard this, but that's false information. The only thing that could damage anything is heat from friction, and a cordless drill will never spin anything fast enough and long enough to hurt anything.
If you say so.
NOTAHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #42

If you are new to hand power tools, then Ryobi is awesome. One battery will power so much. They a huge selection at Home Depot, and there will be some good deals in the next few weeks as we approach Black Friday.

I use there standard drill to raise and lower my trailer. I will bog down once it starts pushing the trailer up, but it speeds up the process.

I also have the 1800 Lumen light..great when you want to check out your campsite before backing in at night.

I have the blower, to clean up the area...clean off the camper and campsite. very light weight..not something that could be used to blow a lot leaves in the yard.

Also have glue gun, and sander, and jobmax, weed eater and 24" bush trimmer..all using 18v batteries.

I have Ridgid tools as well and love them. They are more high end, but cost a lot more too.
drew2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #43

We bought a Black+Decker LDX120C 20-Volt Lithium-Ion drill (linked below) solely for the stabilizers, it has worked great all season. I didn't want to tie up one of my high dollar DeWalts for this purpose -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:09 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
If you have a Harbor Freight near you I think they would have a low cost drill that would server the purpose.
3/8" cordless drill for $16.99 on sale, I use one for mine.
GRUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #45

I use Milwaukee's 18v line.
Just about any cordless drill will do the job you mentioned on the jacks.
One of the benefits of going with a manufacturer that has an extensive lineup of cordless tools is just as drew2fast mentioned a couple posts previous, you have the option of having more tools with the same battery. I use the drill for the jacks, a blower for the slide out tops, and also the blower has a detachable nozzle that I can then attach an adapter to make super quick work in inflating air mattresses, tubes for tubing, balls etc......
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #46

When we were on our first big trip DW noted people using cordless drills and suggested I buy one (yes wife suggested buying a power tool. I bought a 20V Porter Cable that has become the one I use most at home and on the road, much lighter than my old 12V Ryobi.
Bridgeengrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #47
Site Team

I'm another one that hand cranks. For the five or six times a year we get out, it's not bad.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #48

Drill vs. Impact Driver

Having shoulder problems, and a manual tongue jack, I'm looking for anything that will make set-up easier. I have both drill and 1/4" impact driver in the 18 volt Ryobi tool system. Both have their place & time to use them.

The impact driver is the 1/4" 88 in/# model that with the socket adapter, will work for any scissor jack, with care upon loading. The problem with it is the noise that the tool produces, as it's fairly loud, especially at night. It's speed doesn't seem to have any effect at all on the threads of the jack screws.

The drill/driver is nice and quiet, but it also has a drawback. Sometimes, if the jacks are pulled up tight to the RV, I've had the drill snap my wrist because it develops that much torque. With the clutch system you can adjust the torque for how much you load the jacks, so that's nice to have.

When & if I have to change a flat tire I've also got the 1/2" high torque 18 volt Ryobi impact wrench. I use it around the house when I need the power to change tires or anything like that. It works ABSOLUTELY beautifully, and it's always with us. Just a little side note, we have the "TRAILER-AID" to roll the good tire on, and change the flat. Problem is, when the tire changer put the new tire on, it was too low for the tire to attach to the hub. He had to jack the axle up anyway to finish putting the new tire on.
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:12 AM   #49

I use a NiCd 18 volt adjustable Porter Cable amd it works fine. No wrist twisting, fairly quit and easy. Granted I already had it before the trailer purchase so that made it easy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
If you have a Harbor Freight near you I think they would have a low cost drill that would server the purpose.
That is what I did. Plug it in and your good to go. No need to worry if the battery on a cordless drill is charged.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #51

Now I know we are bored. 50 responses [now 51] on what drill to use on your stabalizers. Are there really that many choices. Just think about all the other mystery questions we could ponder. Oh I get the Ford/GM/Dodge preferences that seem to pop up all the time and what grill is best for RV'ing is an other frequent one. How about Dish or Direct tv {I'm Dish} or gas stations [regular stations or Truck stops].

But Drills??? When the answer is so clearly "dance with the one you brung". Its not a race folks and we are not trying to do a wheelie. And if you want to be a Popeye, that's cool too. Like the auctioneer who says "are we done ?" Going once, going twice, SOLD!!! Stick a fork in it, this one is done.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #52

Can I make it a 52 by saying I used my drill to rub 2 sticks together to light my better grill I had in the back of my Dodge becasue I stopped liking Ford and Chevy which by the way had a Popeye sticker on the tailgate of each?
Did I mention I hate my travel trailer becasue when I went out side today the cheap tires were flat, the cheap fridge fell out of the wall, the cheap a/c is sagging the roof, the cheap stove only works if I put candles in it, the stereo caught on fire, the water pump only pumps water to the outside shower, the window blinds are broke and the emergency windows don't open. And to think the dealer won't fix anything and the manufacturers of everything else just laughed at me. Dang it's only 6 months old to boot. But you know what, I'm goin to sell it and buy another one!!

Old 11-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #53
Site Team

Drill baby drill. Yes I'm bored too.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #54

Board and teed off! We could be at Coosa Lock an Dam right now for the next 4 days instead all I got is this forum and The Andy Griffith Show with Aunt Bee and her kerosene pickles

Old 11-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Board and teed off! We could be at Coosa Lock an Dam right now for the next 4 days instead all I got is this forum and The Andy Griffith Show with Aunt Bee and her kerosene pickles

That's one of my favorite episodes.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
That's one of my favorite episodes.
It's a good one for sure.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Can I make it a 52 by saying I used my drill to rub 2 sticks together to light my better grill I had in the back of my Dodge becasue I stopped liking Ford and Chevy which by the way had a Popeye sticker on the tailgate of each?
Did I mention I hate my travel trailer becasue when I went out side today the cheap tires were flat, the cheap fridge fell out of the wall, the cheap a/c is sagging the roof, the cheap stove only works if I put candles in it, the stereo caught on fire, the water pump only pumps water to the outside shower, the window blinds are broke and the emergency windows don't open. And to think the dealer won't fix anything and the manufacturers of everything else just laughed at me. Dang it's only 6 months old to boot. But you know what, I'm goin to sell it and buy another one!!

What is your asking price? I have been wanting to upgrade!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Now I know we are bored. 50 responses [now 51] on what drill to use on your stabalizers. Are there really that many choices. Just think about all the other mystery questions we could ponder. Oh I get the Ford/GM/Dodge preferences that seem to pop up all the time and what grill is best for RV'ing is an other frequent one. How about Dish or Direct tv {I'm Dish} or gas stations [regular stations or Truck stops].

But Drills??? When the answer is so clearly "dance with the one you brung". Its not a race folks and we are not trying to do a wheelie. And if you want to be a Popeye, that's cool too. Like the auctioneer who says "are we done ?" Going once, going twice, SOLD!!! Stick a fork in it, this one is done.
Yes it must be that time of the year and bored people ask goofy questions, this one fit the bill earlier today, Lets see your water filter setup.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
What is your asking price? I have been wanting to upgrade!
40 dolla

Old 11-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Yes it must be that time of the year and bored people ask goofy questions, this one fit the bill earlier today, Lets see your water filter setup.
I'd show you my set up but the filter blew off the lines it is stuck in the ceiling