Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #21

I will travel with it ON for trips over 2 hours (shorter if hot out).

If left alone, the fridge will stay cold for up to that time without propane.

As others said, turn off before fueling and also check the state/provincial laws where you are travelling through. Some prohibit driving with the propane on.

Other than that, it's very safe and efficient. Fridge seems to run better on propane than electricity.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #22

On.

And to the @Force picture link, most of these fires seem to be at the extreme back or front of the units (engines), not the middle where a fridge would normally be found. Perhaps we should all just travel with the engine off.

I do have one related question. I turn off the fridge when filling to prevent the burner from sparking. IMO it is the igniter spark around the gasoline vapour that is a risk, as much as the burning propane. I don't bother closing the tank valve however. Once filled, I just pull away and then switch the fridge back on again.

Thoughts on this?
Do you turn off the fridge, the propane tank, or both?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #23

For longer trips, we have on, but if hauling only an hour or so, can leave off as fridge will stay cold... We do turn off at gas stations.
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #24

On, and ever since I traded my gasser for a diesel, I don't shut it off when fueling at truck stops...

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
On.

And to the @Force picture link, most of these fires seem to be at the extreme back or front of the units (engines), not the middle where a fridge would normally be found. Perhaps we should all just travel with the engine off.

I do have one related question. I turn off the fridge when filling to prevent the burner from sparking. IMO it is the igniter spark around the gasoline vapour that is a risk, as much as the burning propane. I don't bother closing the tank valve however. Once filled, I just pull away and then switch the fridge back on again.

Thoughts on this?
Do you turn off the fridge, the propane tank, or both?
When filling a built in tank, everyplace I have worked, the laws were that all people and animals had to be out of the coach. Main value turned off, windows closed then you fill the tank. Open the value. People out is obvious, animals I was told were removed to eliminate potential static electric spark. Again propane is not natural gas or gasoline. The mixed burning range is pretty narrow. If you cut a propane hose you would be hard pressed to ignite it.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:39 PM   #26

Propane Cylinder Explosions and Exploding LP Gas Bottles

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
When filling a built in tank, everyplace I have worked, the laws were that all people and animals had to be out of the coach. Main value turned off, windows closed then you fill the tank. Open the value. People out is obvious, animals I was told were removed to eliminate potential static electric spark. Again propane is not natural gas or gasoline. The mixed burning range is pretty narrow. If you cut a propane hose you would be hard pressed to ignite it.
Oops, sorry. I meant when filling the TV gas tank at the gas station while travelling, not filling the propane tank. I only have 20lb tanks, generally take the empty to be filled in the TV while the TT is parked. This is in the TT section after all. I guess a MH coach might be different.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #28

I'm with Fire Instructor...we do tow with ours on Propane and have never had a problem. I have never turned propane off to get diesel either as I leave my truck running to refuel also. I guess anything could happen at a gas pump be it static spark, gas leak, propane leak, etc...my bigger concern has always been an accident. Whenever possible we will set up at CG then go to grocery store so when we return with groceries fridge and freezer are cold.

I need to research our Norcold and see if it does 12V option....if so, will it cool while plugged in to TV?