Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
I was just on Amazon and saw this one that will do a couple things for you. Not sure of the quality, but the pictures look good. Has anyone tried this yet? USB charger and TT voltage.

Attached Thumbnails
12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  

2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
If this trip is pretty much a "one off" deal, then I wouldn't waste all the extra money on a pair of 6V batteries. A pair of 12V will get you through. Leave the TV off (not needed when camping IMO) and keep all other draws to a minimum, especially the furnace. You will not harm your batteries drawing them down below 50% this one time.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
Mustang65, I've just added that voltmeter/USB charger to my Amazon Cart... thanks that looks like a great device.. a lot easier than going out to the battery.

We have been considering changing to a 5th wheel from our TT over the next year so, I"m sure any decisions I make on batteries can be moved...

I"m going to recheck prices on the batteries again and put it all down on paper... but were in the Nashville area and we are (don't laugh) snowed in... my guess we won't be able to get out until Wednesday or Thursday.. The mayor of Nashville is on TV telling folks to stay home tomorrow and possibly Wednesday... we have only lived here in the area since 2004 and this is one of the biggest Ice Storms we have seen... We live about 1/2 mile back on a gravel road so, we will just kick back and watch movies and have fun...
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #14
Id Start off by getting another Group 24 battery and wire it together. Positive to positive, and negetive to negetive.

Then youll need something like this:

I have 200 watts of solar, and 2 group 24 batteries, and I stayed off the grid for 5 days in Moab. look through my pics to see how I did it.

...she started talking about how I never listened to her or somethin, I donno, I wasn't really paying attention...
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #15
Send a message via Skype™ to xtampa
Definitely add solar panels to your double battery supply and you'll have no worries camping over the 4-5 days. Recommend some 120watt panels to trickle charge the batteries.
Living on the Eastern Front - Durham Region
xtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #16
4 nights you can get by, but no furnace. I have gone four nights on the same battery, but it is hard. Turn off all lights when not needed. You frig and water when turned to gas mode does use a little 12V power. Run the slides and awning while connected to the tt if possible.

I have two batteries of different types. I keep one in of the back of the TV, when needed, I place it on the ground next to the tt, and connect it using a jumper.

The pump uses very little power, as it just cycles as needed.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:06 AM   #17
Thanks for the link to the solar panels, that is an interesting set up.. I"m not sure if the campsite I have has much sun, were back in the trees of the park, and from what I understand these panels need pretty much direct light. Jagiven, we will keep lights not in use off and with the layout of the TT and it being just my wife and I it will be easy to control that. I know that the Incandescent change out will help quite a bit.

I don't see us doing alot of dry camping so, at this point so, I want to be conservative on this venture.. I can pick up a Group 27 battery at Costco for about $100.00 and do like you Jagiven and just change it out when the first battery drops to 12V. That would be quite easy and once my group 24 battery dies over time I'l just put the Group 27 in it's place.

Hind site being 20 - 20 I should have just gone with a Gen site and left it at that, Costco has a new quiet generator like the Honda/Yamaha for about $600 ... but, I did go and look to see if there was any sites available on the dates were going and No Luck..

I will be able to just hook up to the truck while putting the slide out and in ... I will put the awning out at the same time and hopefully the weather and wind won't necessitate putting it in and out through out the trip. Like I read I will bring a heavy duty pr of jumper cables as well, from what I read it is a much higher amperage connection vs the 7 pin connector so If I need it.. I"ll have them.

I"m not sure what the weather is like mid May, but with all the weather changes in the USA these days I'm not sure how much history will show...

Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions all of them are great and helpful..
Old 02-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #18
There is a real nice campground with hookups just as you leave the NATL PARK heading for Townsend. This site has river side camp sites as well (Same small river that goes through ELKMONT.... I forget the name of the campground - can't miss it... Townsend is great place to stay as you don't have all the big crowds... This is where we go to get groceries and things when camping at ELKMONT.

When we want to live it up some on our Smoky Mtn trip we like to stay at RIVEREDGE just as you come into Pigeon Forge coming from Gatlinburg. A real nice camp ground with full hook ups.. Also has cabins...

Roy Ken
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #19
Roy, thanks, I do have a concern trying to tow our TT through to Townsend, I've seen the road and I may need to put more "Experienced Miles" on before I try that route.. As for Riveredge, I've heard great things of that place, thanks for reminding me, since we have to drive home that way if I am having an issue at Elkmont I may head to Riveredge... but I'm hoping we will be fine at Elkmont.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #20
While camping at Glacier National Park one year, I ran out of battery. I swapped it into my tow vehicle and went site seeing. When I got back to camp, it was fully charged.

2004 Ford F350 Diesel
2004 Jayco 29FBS
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote