Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #1

Duck Tape

Dear Reader:

I really did do my homework on the forum but did not have any luck.

You see, my 23RB will be delivered to me soon and I am trying to get my ducks in order so that DW and I are properly outfitted for a tow from Middlebury to NW Florida. It being a new trailer and manufactured by Jayco, who knows what may be encountered?

Shortly after I joined the forum, a knowledgeable member identified a type of duct tape that would hold, cover, seal, and/or protect against all perils, including some that have no yet arisen in RV land.

I need help identifying this wondrous product and I either need the trade name of the stuff or the thread reporting it.

Yeah, I've already rounded up bailing wire.

Thanks,
Bob
Gharwali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

Eternabond?

2012 Ford F250 6.2 CC SB
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS
in5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #3

Gorilla tape?

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

Get both of the above. Each has its special useage and work!
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #5

Get both of the above, each has its special use. Who knows, maybe your JAYCO will give you a trouble free trip. In three years, mine has!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

I prefer Gorilla Tape over Duct Tape - just my two cents worth!
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:43 PM   #7

Duck tape

Thank-you tslarson and arkhillbilly for taking the time to respond. I shall consider obtaining both kinds of tape, although these do not, from my memory, match the name of the tape one writer strongly endorsed.

Embarking on an entirely new and major buying experience can be disquieting and, based upon what is often written within this forum, gives me pause. I too am hopeful my new Jayco trailer will give me at least three years of troublefree service. I certainly hope so. Still, isn't it wise to be prepared?

It is my observation that there is a disproportionate amount of space in this forum devoted to a variety of problems encountered by Jayco owners that, in my opinion, are not adequately addressed under what appear to be clear warranty protections. There are many unhappy comments regarding an unwillingness or refusal on the part of countrywide Jayco dealers to support expressed or implied company policies. Furthermore, similar refusals or lack of corrective action on the part of the parent company tend to make me nervous.

Time will tell, obviously, but it does prompt a question on my part about why Jayco would be so casual. I would think this forum, like others I subscribe too, would serve as a critically important sounding board and prompt crafting of policies that either attract or firmly hold buyers. Maybe corporate doesn't read unhappy news?

So, in the meantime, bailing wire and duct tape beckon.

Bob
Old 04-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #8

I have limited experience with said tape, but have been told by reliable sources that it should be held in partnership with WD-40.
Doncom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:41 AM   #9

if your looking for roof and seam repairs most likely you are referring to the eternabond
jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:15 AM   #10

I just uncovered the trailer, was using duck tape to hold the pool noodle over the sharp points work great, with cover.
I once used duck tape when I ripe my blue jeans. Had to take someone to the hospital
the nurse looked at me and said the red green show Right) I said yes. Duck tape is used for every thing
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #11

Gaffers tape holds much better than duct tape. The vast majority of jayco owners experience little or no problems. Remember they are making 30 - 50 units a day, we hear about the small percentage with problems. Same as the vast majority of dealers take care of the issues in a timely manner. With an RV you can expect to take care of some minor issues yourself, you have a house moving down the road getting banged around things are going to happen. Overall Jayco has a good reputation for a reason, they are not perfect but they are better than the average.

You may want to spend a night or two in Middlebury to shake things out before you head down the road. Good luck and enjoy your rig.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharwali View Post
Thank-you tslarson and arkhillbilly for taking the time to respond. I shall consider obtaining both kinds of tape, although these do not, from my memory, match the name of the tape one writer strongly endorsed.

Embarking on an entirely new and major buying experience can be disquieting and, based upon what is often written within this forum, gives me pause. I too am hopeful my new Jayco trailer will give me at least three years of troublefree service. I certainly hope so. Still, isn't it wise to be prepared?

It is my observation that there is a disproportionate amount of space in this forum devoted to a variety of problems encountered by Jayco owners that, in my opinion, are not adequately addressed under what appear to be clear warranty protections. There are many unhappy comments regarding an unwillingness or refusal on the part of countrywide Jayco dealers to support expressed or implied company policies. Furthermore, similar refusals or lack of corrective action on the part of the parent company tend to make me nervous.

Time will tell, obviously, but it does prompt a question on my part about why Jayco would be so casual. I would think this forum, like others I subscribe too, would serve as a critically important sounding board and prompt crafting of policies that either attract or firmly hold buyers. Maybe corporate doesn't read unhappy news?

So, in the meantime, bailing wire and duct tape beckon.

Bob
Bob
It would seem that your intention is more to bash Jayco as a manufacturer than to get information about duct tape. This seems like a very odd posting
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #13

Bob, if as you say, you "subscribe" to other forums. did you not find owners faulting their brand? If you did not, why did you buy a JAYCO?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #14

waggs999:
Your suggestion to remain in Middlebury for a couple of nights certainly has merit. Unfortunately, my work schedule probably will not allow anything more than a speedy trip to the seller and return home to NW FL. Not yet having a firm delivery date also makes such an arrangement entirely problematic. At least, I'm confident I will discover how well my Tundra TV and 23RB behave on a 800+ mile trip south.

TexasRT:
Your observation regarding my last contribution to this thread "is more to bash Jayco...than to get information about duct tape" is incorrect. You will likely agree that there is an abundance of complaints--justified and unjustified--that are probably worthy of note, particularly from my vantage point of being a newbie. Hence, I'm not bashing anyone, but merely reacting to situations I may or may not encounter as a future Jayco TT owner.

Bob
Old 04-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharwali View Post
waggs999:
Your suggestion to remain in Middlebury for a couple of nights certainly has merit. Unfortunately, my work schedule probably will not allow anything more than a speedy trip to the seller and return home to NW FL. Not yet having a firm delivery date also makes such an arrangement entirely problematic. At least, I'm confident I will discover how well my Tundra TV and 23RB behave on a 800+ mile trip south.

TexasRT:
Your observation regarding my last contribution to this thread "is more to bash Jayco...than to get information about duct tape" is incorrect. You will likely agree that there is an abundance of complaints--justified and unjustified--that are probably worthy of note, particularly from my vantage point of being a newbie. Hence, I'm not bashing anyone, but merely reacting to situations I may or may not encounter as a future Jayco TT owner.

Bob

Bob
You are correct there are complaints, but most are from people that have actually purchased and taken ownership of their units. Others have also ask questions about units they are considering for refernce purposes, but I haven't seen any of them speak so negative of something they don't even own yet. You seem to make it a point on all you post to talk as negative as possible about the product you don't even own. Again this all seems odd, to me anyway.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:48 AM   #16

Could THIS have been the "DuckTape" you were seeking??

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:48 AM   #17

Hattie: What an imaginative roll of "duck" tape. Didn't know such a colorful tape even existed. But, no, I don't believe this was the tape the writer was referring to. Anyway, the picture of the tape is worth a chuckle. Thanks for sharing. Bob

Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Could THIS have been the "DuckTape" you were seeking??

Love me some Duck Tape!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #19

Keep in mind that most owners don't post a comment unless they are having a problem that they are trying to solve or have made an improvement that they want to share. Thousands of successful airlines flights a day is not news but that one crash is.

We had a saying when I was in the Army Signal Corps, "No one thinks of comm (communications) until it's down". I'm sure that thousands of miles of trouble-free travel is being made every week by happy Jayco owners.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #20

One question: Why so far? There are several "discount" dealers between FL and NH. Seems like a haul, especially for a quick pick up with no plans to stay in the location. Is it used?
Either way I would vouch for Jayco as standing behind their product under warranty except when second owner comes in as it's voided. I am on my second unit from them and sure I have had some minor issues or kinks if you will, but structurally my units have been very sound and of little issue. Components is where most the of the issues arise and these are from vendors outside Jayco.

Eternabond for any roof leaks and Gorilla tape for whatever you may find needing a temp hold down if so, but think that is the last on the list for a pick up. First is a couple of good bungies, chocks, jack, flashlight, lugwrench (not provided) and some minor tools.

Did you line up a dealer locally to service it, if and when you need might need to? There might be your hardship.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote