Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #1

Dumb black tank question

I have a 29 bhs and I'm in the process of winterizing it. Went camping this weekend and drained the black tank until it stopped flowing. As I was blowing out the toilet I looked down it and noticed a decent amount of nasty looking water down there. Is that supposed to be there like a p trap? Or should it drain all out?
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Well sometimes stuff gets sort of stuck to the walls and base of black water tank ... I don't know if your toilet drops straight down into it or if there is a cross pipe.... My last one had a pipe across to tank and it would get clogged from time to time .... Shut water pump off , get a flashlight open the toilet flap and take a good look to see exactly what you have is my best advice ... Hope that helps
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Sounds like the tank didn't empty completely, there is no "p" trap. You probably have some solids near the drain pipe that has created a small dam and everything above it drained out.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

Looks like I need to take it to my dads house and hook it up to his clean out. I don't have one. I will shove a hose down it and spray the crap out of it. Literally I have a toilet wand but unable to use it at the state park as there were 12 units in line behind me. Dump and get out is what I needed to do
Old 10-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Are the tanks angled to let all of the waste out? This past weekend I saw an unusual site, while waiting behind another RV at the dump station I noticed after he finished he pulled forward a few feet and then got out and picked up a board that he had driven up on to put his camper at an angle. Pretty good idea I thought.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

I would say I was angled enough. Looks like a lot of water in there that shouldn't be. I follow all the recommendations on prep and cleaning of the tanks. What I think I need to do is camp at a full hook up site at the end of the year to get it good and clean while I am set up
Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #7

Try the hose method but I found the best way was a suggestion by mcfrmall, to rinse the grey and black water tanks and the p traps by pouring a 5 gallon pail of water down the sinks and toilet. In the black tank the volume of water dislodges most solids. I used my tank flushing system until it ran clear. When I poured the water from a 5 gallon pail it took 7 of them, one at a time, before it ran clear demonstrating the inefficiency of the tank rinse. Search the forum and you will find the threads.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:20 AM   #8

Go buy the sprayer,made to clean the tanks( About 6 Bucks Here) wash Out through the toilet ,you can spray the sides with this wand,now fill the black tank with water from the hose(again through the Toilet) watch the level , when showing full on the monitor,turn off the water and than pull the black water tank drain,you will be surprised how much ( Stuff was still in the tank) may need to do this 2-3 times..

You Can Dooo it !
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Are the tanks angled to let all of the waste out? This past weekend I saw an unusual site, while waiting behind another RV at the dump station I noticed after he finished he pulled forward a few feet and then got out and picked up a board that he had driven up on to put his camper at an angle. Pretty good idea I thought.
That is a good idea!
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #10

First off, not a dumb question. Dumb would be ignoring a possible issue with the black tank!
I would say there is a chance you have a bit of solids partially blocking the opening. Fill the tank up and let it out again is the simplest first step.
If that does not work, think about which garden hose you really don't like the most and then shove it and turn it on.

I have put the trailer on boards when I dump at home. I'm sure it increases the water velocity and improves the clean out.

Having a bit of stuff left when you are done really is not a big deal no matter what. Just be mentally prepared to deal if a worse issue occurs.

Last weekend we were stuck third in line at the dump station while the one at the hole was trying to clear a blockage for 15 minutes.
Always remember -- do NOT touch any sticks on the ground near the dump facility.

All said, look into the Geo Method. I really have had success with it so far.
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

Since we are on the subject of dumping. (and I may insult some.. Sorry). But, I can't tell you how many people I see using the same gloves over and over. I have seen them dump and then reach into pockets and grab keys, open their doors, grab steering wheels etc.. I only use 1 time disposable gloves.. Sometimes I wonder if I should get those shoe covers you see in hospitals.. I swear I can still smell the dump station 30 minutes after getting back into my vehicle.. You just know the ground has got to be nasty..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #12

After doing diapers for two little ones, I am not germ or poo phobic.
I am cautious though. I keep a put on a new pair of nytril gloves at the beginning of the process. I will wear sandals and I'm not to worried about the different sources of infection at ground level. We have three dogs - stepping in stuff happens - just leave shoes outside the door when we get home.

One thing I have noticed. As soon as I start touching the yucky parts, my nose will itch or my glasses will start to slide... Luckily DW is understanding.
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #13

I flush mine at the dump station by filling it once after initial dumping. Before I leave a dump station I put about 5 gal of water in the black tank, no chemicals. Once I get home I dump it in a bucket and pour it around in the grass or flowers. I have dogs, cats, deer, squirrel and birds in my yard doing the very same thing without a bucket. I also pull the grey tanks valves open let them dry out for a day then close them back up.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Some go overboard some go under board. Using logic and common sense is the best practice. Have spoken to a mountain man who never went to a doctor. Sanitation is each his/her own. Use of good commonsense keeps for the general RV owners the doctor away.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote