Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Eagle 314BDS

We are thinking about this trailer but are pretty close to the conclusion, it's to heavy for us. Those of you that have this trailer, please tell me what your towing it with, what kind of terrain, and how far have you gone with it. We currently have the x23J that we bought in April, but already want to upgrade to a bigger unit. Thanks for your input!!

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

It does say Super Lite on it

I am pulling ours with an Escalade ESV on mostly flat ground in MI. Yes it is at it's specified capacity limits, but I did get the upgraded WDH (went with Husky Centerline). The power is there for a gas engine (6.0L) but it is no diesel. I do have a shift kit and upgraded clutches in my trans for pulling also. I have been a one 500+ mile round trip and a few 100+ mile round trips so far.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #3

I tow mine with a Chevy 2500HD Diesel, so I have no problems even on hills.

One thing to consider - the listed weight on Jayco's website for that unit was like 7500 pounds. The "as configured" sticker on my unit lists out at 8255 pounds...so...750 pounds more than the "dry unit weight" (but includes full propane bottles and water).

Scanning the tow weights listed from ford: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/11FLMRVTT_F150nov18.pdf

Looks like your F150s have towing capacities around 8500 to about 9800 pounds. Given that, and a likely trailer weight of +8000 pounds I think you might be a bit too heavy.
pbohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #4

2x to pbohart. You will be unhappy with anything less than 3/4 ton for a trailer this heavy, especially in the mountains. Look in the towing forum for more info.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #5

We had the same question and decided on the white hawk 312dslb. I tow with a 2008 Chevy Suburban and yes it is a load, but I am glad I dont have another 1000+ pounds back there.
huntrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrfish View Post
We had the same question and decided on the white hawk 312dslb. I tow with a 2008 Chevy Suburban and yes it is a load, but I am glad I dont have another 1000+ pounds back there.
I am pretty sure we're going to settle for the white hawk, but really wanted the Eagle and just wanted to see what others were towing there's with. Thanks for the comments!

Huntrfish... i don't see the 312dslb on the website, do you mean the 31? That's what we're interested in if we don't go with the Eagle which isn't looking so good for us. My dealer is telling us they have not ordered any of those yet as they are pretty long (35'). Do you go long distance with your TT? Were planning a Boston to Ohio next year, so I want to make sure we are making the right choices when choosing a new TT. Thanks for your input!!

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #7

Oops, yes I meant 31. Sorry about that. We just got ours last month, and have taken it out twice. The first trip was a short trip to a local lake about 70 miles from our house. The second trip was 285 miles from our house, and 285 back, on some crappy roads. We had NO problems with the trailer, or the tow vehicle. The last outing we slept 8 in the trailer and while it was a bit crowded at times, we got along just fine. We used the outdoor kitchen every day, every meal.

Personally, I am glad we went with the white hawk. I had preferred to go with the eagle, and would like a bigger outdoor kitchen that it offers. But the back Bedroom is plenty big for what we needed without the extra slide (and wieght of the slide). I did not want to buy a new pickup and a new camper, so I found something that my Suburban could handle, and we love it.

We really did want the eagle, but I sacrificed the bigger kitchen, and second slide for the lower weight. Our wants were: outdoor kitchen, seperate bathroom door, and bunks all trying to be towed with a 1/2 ton. I prorbably could have managed short trips with the bigger trailer, but since I want to take mine in the mountains, and on longer trips, we settled on the white hawk. In fact, my wife was a little leary of the big trailer until our last trip, and now she wants to take it on a 1000 mile trip to go see some family. She's pretty comfortable with things now.

Length?????? My first thought pulling this behemoth down the road, was "holy !@#$%^&*" this thing is long. Yes, it is basically 35', but you get used to it and can manage it fairly easily.
huntrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #8

I pulled my 324bhds with an 07 GMC 2500hd extended cab 6.0L 3.73gear and hated it! with this trailer and that truck with its configuration ,the truck was at its max on every level! to a point that it made it uncomfortable to tow on long trips. I know we are not comparing apples to apples here ,but my point is stay away from maxing out your tv if at all possible. i sold that 07 and bought a 1988 C3500 dually, rehabed it and have takin it on several trips this summer and absolutely love to tow the tt anywhere with it.

happy trails!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

I'm about to order a Eagle 314BDS. I currently have a Tundra 5.7 tow package. It's rated for just over 10,000. I'm thinking the actual max the trailer will be would be around 8500-9000. I'm on a Tundra forum and did some looking around and quite a few others are towing similar set ups which makes me a bit more confident. The other thing is I'm in Texas...I'm not planning on hitting any mountain ranges anytime soon.

My plan is to see how she does....if the Tundra is completely overwhelmed then I'll look into getting a 3/4 ton diesel. As far as I'm concerned the Tundra is just as good as any 3/4 ton gasser as far as towing goes.
CakeHenn is offline   Reply With Quote