Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
You don't need to be rude. There is no place on this site for that. If you don't like the answers given then either ignore them, get off the site, or try putting all the information in your post so people know what your are actually talking about. You never mentioned once in your original post that you were driving forward.
Not being rude bap, and the initial problem was clearly stated. Forward or backward, wouldn't matter.
Have a nice day.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
Well said... It isn't up to the trailer to decide what your turning radius is... It's your tow vehicle and hitch setup...

I tow my 174BH with a Jeep Wrangler and I can get WELL beyond 90 degrees. I have turned around in a small intersection before and still had room to go...
Standard Equalizer hitch setup, no issues there. Distance from pivot point to front of cap is defined by Jayco, not setup. I could go with a longer shank, but it doesn't seem right. It may not be a design issue, and may instead be an issue of where the body is located on the trailer. More to come once I hear from Jayco.
Thanks.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #23

Well I have a 338 rets and a 2011 superduty crew longbed and I wont even try to bring it to our house which is in a cul de sac. My 24 foot car trailer takes a 3 point turn to get it into my driveway and I know there isn't any way I am making the turn with the tt ... but I still don't believe even at a 90 with my topper it would hit ... I could be wrong as I try to avoid such tight maneuvers if at all possible
Old 06-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
Well I have a 338 rets and a 2011 superduty crew longbed and I wont even try to bring it to our house which is in a cul de sac. My 24 foot car trailer takes a 3 point turn to get it into my driveway and I know there isn't any way I am making the turn with the tt ... but I still don't believe even at a 90 with my topper it would hit ... I could be wrong as I try to avoid such tight maneuvers if at all possible
Thanks for the reply. I'm working with Jayco, and will report back their findings.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #25

Good luck ... I know it seems to me the length of the a frame in front should be sufficient to clear the front cap of camper until said a frame hit your bumper which would be a problem also lol
Old 06-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Good luck ... I know it seems to me the length of the a frame in front should be sufficient to clear the front cap of camper until said a frame hit your bumper which would be a problem also lol
Agreed there should be significant clearance. Take a look at the 2017 Eagle, it's redesigned from the 2016.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Agreed. To hit the bumper on the trailer would be extreme, but definetly a hard stop.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #28

What is your source for the 90 degree requirement you keep mentioning? I've never heard of that requirement nor could I find it scouring the internet. Is it a NHTSB requirement? RVIA?
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
What is your source for the 90 degree requirement you keep mentioning? I've never heard of that requirement nor could I find it scouring the internet. Is it a NHTSB requirement? RVIA?
Hi there. It's interesting how this post has taken a different direction than initially intended. There isn't a requirement to turn 90 degrees, only a requirement to make a reasonable turn with the trailer without making contact with the bed of the truck at the tailgate.
I've never driven, or seen, a travel trailer where the front of the cap is so close to the pivot point on the hitch, and the result of the distance allows the truck and trailer to make contact, prior to even getting to 90 degrees.
So, my initial question, simply stated, is: "has anyone with a 314BHDS experienced contact with their tow vehicle"?
Thank you very much for your research and interest. I have an open inquiry with Jayco to review the issue, and will post their findings once received.
Thanks.