Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

Easiest upgrade ever!

I saw this posted somewhere on this forum and thought I would try it. To whoever posted it.... THANK YOU!

So has anyone ever wondered why Jayco doesn't wire the TV to play thru the speakers in the ceiling? The DVD plays thru the speakers but the TV by itself doesn't.

So, take an RCA cable and plug the red and white plugs into the TV. (My Furion has an RCA output on the bottom of the TV). Next slide the Furion radio out by removing the face plate and 4 screws. Plug the other end of the RCA cable coming from the TV into the back of the radio, again red and white respectively. Slide your radio back in, install the four screws, reattach the face plate.

Turn your TV and your radio on. Cycle thru the outputs on your radio using the "AUX" button until the TV starts playing thru the speakers in the ceiling. That's it! SO SIMPLE!

Why in the world Jayco doesn't do this from the factory is beyond me. It took longer to type this post than it did to hook everything up!
Campbellizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbellizer View Post
I saw this posted somewhere on this forum and thought I would try it. To whoever posted it.... THANK YOU!

So has anyone ever wondered why Jayco doesn't wire the TV to play thru the speakers in the ceiling? The DVD plays thru the speakers but the TV by itself doesn't.

So, take an RCA cable and plug the red and white plugs into the TV. (My Furion has an RCA output on the bottom of the TV). Next slide the Furion radio out by removing the face plate and 4 screws. Plug the other end of the RCA cable coming from the TV into the back of the radio, again red and white respectively. Slide your radio back in, install the four screws, reattach the face plate.

Turn your TV and your radio on. Cycle thru the outputs on your radio using the "AUX" button until the TV starts playing thru the speakers in the ceiling. That's it! SO SIMPLE!

Why in the world Jayco doesn't do this from the factory is beyond me. It took longer to type this post than it did to hook everything up!
Gee you must type like me.... "The Christopher Columbus" method.... Seek & Find

Thanks for the tip, BTW.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Mine came wired that way. We don't care for it because of the poor quality sound of the overhead speakers.

I am looking at a sound bar to mount under the tv.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Mine came wired that way. We don't care for it because of the poor quality sound of the overhead speakers.

I am looking at a sound bar to mount under the tv.
Yea, the sound isn't the greatest with the factory speakers. But, it is MUCH better than just the speakers on the TV! I'm going to upgrade the factory speakers at some point anyway.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Gee you must type like me.... "The Christopher Columbus" method.... Seek & Find.
Darn! You win! Wonder how many of us were about to post something like yours?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #6

Campbellizer, how did you remove the faceplate? Did you pry it off or what was your method of removing it to get to the screws? I spoke with someone at Furrion's Support and was told that I could just used a HDMI attached to the front of the unit and then to the television. Have'nt tried it yet, but will when it taken out next week.
FLASHY35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Darn! You win! Wonder how many of us were about to post something like yours?
Well, how long does it take to plug in an RCA plug on each end and fish it thru the hole? That's basically how long it takes! Maybe 2-3 minutes tops.

To post the instructions properly takes some thought. Thankfully, this mod doesn't. :-)
Old 06-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHY35 View Post
Campbellizer, how did you remove the faceplate? Did you pry it off or what was your method of removing it to get to the screws? I spoke with someone at Furrion's Support and was told that I could just used a HDMI attached to the front of the unit and then to the television. Have'nt tried it yet, but will when it taken out next week.
I just pulled mine off using my finger nails. My Furrion doesn't have an HDMI on the front. But, I bet it does on the rear of the unit. I'll have to check on that.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip Campbellizer! I'll be sure we put an RCA cable in the pile of stuff to go out to the Jayco (it's in a storage lot). I think I'll bring along an HDMI cable as well to see if that works better. Love it when there's a mod I can do!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbellizer View Post

Oddly enough mine came from the Jayco factory wired up with the TV connected with RCA jacks for AUX sound output. Go figure.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
Oddly enough mine came from the Jayco factory wired up with the TV connected with RCA jacks for AUX sound output. Go figure.
That's good. They should come come that way from the factory. Neither of the two Jayco's I've owned were though.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #12

I'll be doing this on my next trip out. Not sure why I didn't think about it while I was rooting around back there hooking up my xbox...

Thanks!

Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #13
Site Team

Another easy mod for me was to put a couple of T's in the tv audio lines feeding the Jenson stereo. I often use a cordless headphone to listen to tv when my wife is wanting to read or sleep.

I just extended the 2 rca connectors out of a small hole in the stereo area and it's easy to connect the headphone without having to run the cables over behind the tv, which travels up and down behind the fireplace.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert RVers View Post
Thanks for the tip Campbellizer! I'll be sure we put an RCA cable in the pile of stuff to go out to the Jayco (it's in a storage lot). I think I'll bring along an HDMI cable as well to see if that works better. Love it when there's a mod I can do!
Mine had an RCA cable in the accessory pack with the trailer along with the solar wire, instructions, etc. Now I know why!

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
Mine had an RCA cable in the accessory pack with the trailer along with the solar wire, instructions, etc. Now I know why!
I just looked in my accessory pack and sure enough, there is an RCA cable. No solar stuff though. I guess the 2015's didn't come equipped with solar prep. I'll hook up the cables this weekend when we pull our TT out of the storage lot to prepare for an upcoming trip. I'll repost once I know if it worked for us.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote