Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

easy way to convert table to bed platform

Any suggestions on how to take that 500 pound table (it seems to be that heavy), collapse the legs and then easily guide and glide it onto the two narrow supports to form the bed platform? I have a 2013 Flight Swift 154BH SLX. Even with my wife's help, plus a lot of cussing on my part, it usually results in one or two drops from the support to the floor and a couple near misses in the broken toe department! By the time we finally get it in place we are ready to sleep because we're so pooped. Any and all help will be appreciated!
JayX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #2

I am not directly familiar with your particular setup. There are about 2-3 different tables Jayco has used in the past few yers. I tip the table onto its side on the dinette cushion, fold the legs in, then side it forwards close to in place, then push the cushions out of the way so it can slip into place. Both the DW and I do it this way by our self all the time and works nicely, with virtually no lifting.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #3

Wish we had one of these.
http://youtu.be/K8tvZdb1dVY
2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

I mounted a 1.5" wood dowel rod along the wall between the two bench seats even with the supports for the table in the bed position. I screwed a rod holder made of wood to the facing on each side screwed from the back side. Now all I do is move the cushions out of the way then lift the front edge of the table while the back edge lowers along the wall till it stops at the dowel rod. Then I can reach under and fold up the legs and lower into position. This way you don't have to lift the heavy table at all.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverark View Post
Wish we had one of these.
http://youtu.be/K8tvZdb1dVY
That was standard in our Hybrid in 2010 and we love it. No legs to deal with and the floor is clear and flat for your feet.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #6

thanks

Thanks to all who replied. Sundancer's idea makes a lot of sense and I will duplicate his work before our next outing. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply.
JayX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

I want to look into something I saw on a tv show over the weekend. It was another make of trailer but It had a telescoping single pedestal. Just flip a lever and it lowered into position. Then raise it up and lock the lever back. Not sure how practical it would be but I liked the idea. And the pedestal supported it while in the sleep position.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
That was standard in our Hybrid in 2010 and we love it. No legs to deal with and the floor is clear and flat for your feet.
I looked at a Jayco trailer with that table in it but it was loose at the time and the bracket that attaches it to the wall was loose also. i would be afraid of it coming out of the wall and making bigger holes to re mo8unt it

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #9

I just checked mine and it appears to have a hard backing behind the wall plate. Mine is not loose and if it was it would drive me nuts. 5 years and still snug like bark on a tree.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #10

I would say this is probably the most challenging point in our 184BH which is the exact same set up as the 154BH. We decided to modify the table entirely by making a new smaller table and an insert that sits at the back of the dinette. The new table is 32x36" and the insert is 16x32". The smaller table is far easier to manage yet plenty big enough 4 people to eat or play games at. The insert gives us a place for our memory foam topper to be rolled up and secured with Velcro straps. The bedroll is perfect to lean back on for relaxing to watch tv or read. Sometimes we put the table down and leave the bedroll closed so that we have a table/flat stable surface for snacks and drinks while we watch a movie. We used 3/4" plywood for the table and insert and the traditional metal pole with a tripod leg stand. This is probably the thing we are still contemplating on the design - whether to add folding legs instead because the pole is tough to pull apart. There are no perfect designs for this, unfortunately, but we found our mod very convenient in comparison to the original on our week long trip recently.

I have some photos, I will try to remember to upload later.
3fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I am not directly familiar with your particular setup. There are about 2-3 different tables Jayco has used in the past few yers. I tip the table onto its side on the dinette cushion, fold the legs in, then side it forwards close to in place, then push the cushions out of the way so it can slip into place. Both the DW and I do it this way by our self all the time and works nicely, with virtually no lifting.
This sounds like my routine in my SLX 145RB, which has the same layout as the 154BH. Then after laying out the cushions, I add a memory foam topper that already has the sheets and blanket on it. Next morning, I simply fold the topper, bedding and all, into fours and set into my closet. The 145RB closet is shallow but perfect for this use. Pillows on the shelf, and we're ready for the new day. And the "bed" is still made for tonite.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote