Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Eaual-I-Zer Weight Distribution Hitch Setup

I have my new truck - 2015 Ford F250 6.7L 4x4 Crew Cab SRW. I have not really towed my trailer much - only a few miles from the dealer home and to the scales today. I feel like I don't have enough weight on my front wheels. My truck has a little bit of sag in the rear. I switched from a 2500 Chevy and tried to just use the same setup, but had a lot more sag than the Chevy. I added a couple of washers to the Equal-I-Zer WDH and that helped the way it looks, but I don't think it did enough. I am thinking about adding a couple more washers to the setup, but wanted to post my numbers to get a few second looks. Here it is from the CAT scales today -

Truck and trailer with WDH connected
Steer Axle - 4580
Drive Axle - 4800
Trailer Axle - 7420
Gross Weight - 16800

Truck and trailer NO WDH connected
Steer Axle - 4300
Drive Axle - 5200
Trailer Axle - 7280
Gross Weight - 16780

Truck only
Steer Axle - 4800
Drive Axle - 3480
Gross Weight - 8280

I was not loaded as we go camping. I had 3/4 tank of fuel, trailer was fairly empty (no food, no water but we usually don't travel with water, no bedding), my truck bed had nothing in it (no generator, no firewood, no BBQ, no tools) and it was just me (no wife or kids).

I input the following into a website I found while I was in the parking lot of the scales. Everything shows green, but I feel like I am being pushed around still by the few trucks that passed me.
Attached Thumbnails
Weight Trailer.jpg   25121899530_70531d89d5_o.jpg  

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
I have my new truck - 2015 Ford F250 6.7L 4x4 Crew Cab SRW. I have not really towed my trailer much - only a few miles from the dealer home and to the scales today. I feel like I don't have enough weight on my front wheels. My truck has a little bit of sag in the rear. I switched from a 2500 Chevy and tried to just use the same setup, but had a lot more sag than the Chevy. I added a couple of washers to the Equal-I-Zer WDH and that helped the way it looks, but I don't think it did enough. I am thinking about adding a couple more washers to the setup, but wanted to post my numbers to get a few second looks. Here it is from the CAT scales today -

Truck and trailer with WDH connected
Steer Axle - 4580
Drive Axle - 4800
Trailer Axle - 7420
Gross Weight - 16800

Truck and trailer NO WDH connected
Steer Axle - 4300
Drive Axle - 5200
Trailer Axle - 7280
Gross Weight - 16780

Truck only
Steer Axle - 4800
Drive Axle - 3480
Gross Weight - 8280

I was not loaded as we go camping. I had 3/4 tank of fuel, trailer was fairly empty (no food, no water but we usually don't travel with water, no bedding), my truck bed had nothing in it (no generator, no firewood, no BBQ, no tools) and it was just me (no wife or kids).

I input the following into a website I found while I was in the parking lot of the scales. Everything shows green, but I feel like I am being pushed around still by the few trucks that passed me.
I just noticed I put in the calculator 12000 for the tongue weight rating - I was thinking it was 1200 pounds, but I might have pulled that out of thin air. I was about to be hit by a semi-truck so I will blame it on that. Anyone know where I can find that number? I am looking through my manual and it doesn't spell that out where I can find it.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #3

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...tyPU_Sep30.pdf

Page 4 has some tongue weights, looks like yours is at least good for 1,200 lbs with a WDH, probably more depending on your actual config.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #4

The sticker shows that you have 'LT' tires. Their max pressure is probably 80psi; check the sidewall to be sure. Inflate your TV AND TT tires to their maximums to reduce the sidewall flex. Then see if that had any effect.

Also, the hitch ball height sets the trailer angle. The trailer should be level or just slightly nose down. That's one of the first things to deal with.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...tyPU_Sep30.pdf

Page 4 has some tongue weights, looks like yours is at least good for 1,200 lbs with a WDH, probably more depending on your actual config.
Thanks. It looks like I have 1250 for tongue weight rating with the 2 inch adapter. Here is my updated numbers. Looks like I can add 200-300 to the front and still be good. I will wait until I get loaded up and see what my actual numbers look like before I add any additional washers. I have 6 in there now and I think 8 is the max they say is possible. Hard to say what individual washers equal to pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Real Trailer Weight.jpg  

Old 03-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
The sticker shows that you have 'LT' tires. Their max pressure is probably 80psi; check the sidewall to be sure. Inflate your TV AND TT tires to their maximums to reduce the sidewall flex. Then see if that had any effect.

Also, the hitch ball height sets the trailer angle. The trailer should be level or just slightly nose down. That's one of the first things to deal with.

I adjusted to spec before I left my house for the scales (also before I adjusted the first time with no scale numbers). The hitch ball height are set good for the trailer. It's just the truck that has a little sag in the back. Probably not abnormal, just moves more with the weight than my Chevy did. I hear this is common for Ford's. I have been contemplating air bags for the rear. I just don't know if I need them or not. I want to get my weights setup correctly first, then see if I still sag. If I do, I will get the air bags, get everything level and start over at the scales to get the weights back to the correct numbers. I think a lot of people will get the air bags and not go back to verify they are setup correctly - thinking being level is everything.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #7

Its been a while since I adjusted mine and I don't have the directions handy as stuff is in winter storage, but if you wanted to move more weight towards the front I think you can also raise the brackets on the trailer tongue, that should cause the bars to flex a little more and lift the truck. You might read up on that section, I think they are supposed to be fairly level when towing as well. Also Your truck manual should/may indicate if your supposed to return "all" weight to the front axle or not, right now your not (4800-4580).

My suggestion, readjust the equalizer completely from the original instructions (my installer completely had mine not in line with the manufacturer instructions), and find out if you need to return all your weight to the front axle from your vehicles manual. You should also look at the measurement between the wheel fender top on the front both hooked up and empty, they should be nearly identical. If they aren't, you probably need more spring on the bars.

I'll echo the tire pressure comment, it can make a big difference as well.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #8

I Know when I was adjusting mine I had it on level ground and measured height of front wheelwells of truck rear wheelwells and front and rear of trailer frame to ground. I started with 7 links on my chains on equalizer and it remained as close to level as possible, then I went to 6 links and it dropped the front 1/8 of an inch and kept the rear close to the same then I went to 8 links and it moved the opposite direction, so I settled on 7 and it rode fine that way ... I know it wasn't scaled but I want to feel it driving and know if it feels right or not to me
Old 03-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #9

Each bracket position is equal to 1 washer. (as told to me by an Equalizer rep on the phone, found it somewhere in writing too but not sure where) You can more easily change the bracket position to see if that moves enough weight forward while you are at the scales. I would want more sent back to the front axle, but verify that to your specific truck.

When you are completely set up, you want the bars to be level with the trailer frame, so add/remove washers to get back to level if you have to move the brackets. I hope that made sense.
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:26 AM   #10

Equalizer also has some YouTube videos too that were helpful. Ours has integrated sway bars, not chains.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
Its been a while since I adjusted mine and I don't have the directions handy as stuff is in winter storage, but if you wanted to move more weight towards the front I think you can also raise the brackets on the trailer tongue, that should cause the bars to flex a little more and lift the truck. You might read up on that section, I think they are supposed to be fairly level when towing as well. Also Your truck manual should/may indicate if your supposed to return "all" weight to the front axle or not, right now your not (4800-4580).

My suggestion, readjust the equalizer completely from the original instructions (my installer completely had mine not in line with the manufacturer instructions), and find out if you need to return all your weight to the front axle from your vehicles manual. You should also look at the measurement between the wheel fender top on the front both hooked up and empty, they should be nearly identical. If they aren't, you probably need more spring on the bars.

I'll echo the tire pressure comment, it can make a big difference as well.
I called Equal-I-Zer when I was starting to adjust it. I think I am good on everything except how many washers to install. My Chevy used 4 and was setup perfectly. I have 6 washers installed now with the Ford and feel a little pull when trucks pass. I see my weight is not exactly setup with everything back to stock on the front. When I did the measurement, I know that I am within the 3/4 inch adjustment with the 6 washers (on the high side for the front). I will check the manual to see what I can find if it says to put everything back to stock on the front height. My guess is it does say to put everything back to stock. I will find out more next week when we load up for Disneyland.