Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #31
The TT I had was 7500GVW. While I have Max Tow Pkg that has a higher tow rating, I don't think I would feel comfortable going much heavier in a TT than what I had with an F-150. Nowadays there are a lot of nice lightweight options in TT market that will come in at 8000GVW or less that the 150 can handle nicely. If I didn't need the halfton as a DD, I would have gotten a bigger truck. As for mpg's, I will echo USMC, comments that I have not seen 20's mpg combined, but I have when not loaded and easy driving achieved high 19's mpg on average. All in all I still think it is a great truck.

Grey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #32
The purpose of the EcoBoost was to release a truck that bridges the gap between lower-capability half tons and diesel 3/4 tons. It was designed to allow the consumer the ability to own one vehicle that does everything rather than a daily driver and a dedicated tow vehicle. It provides a comfortable ride and good fuel economy for daily commuting during the week, and holds the ability to tow large and heavy items for work and play on the weekends. Because of the vast capabilities and dual nature of this truck, there will be areas that are not as ideal as other vehicles with dedicated purposes. Sure, the suspension is soft, but most people would complain about heavy duty suspension all week during their commute. The beauty is that you can easily customize your truck to be stronger in which ever area you wish.

SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #33
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
If you're lugging around 10,000lbs then you should be in a 3/4 ton. The 150 would handle a load that heavy much better with LT tires, upgraded shocks, and air bags. Stopping shouldn't be a concern if your trailer brakes are set up properly.
Yes a 3/4 ton truck is what I use as my TV. Look at other replys and you will see those that tow a fifth wheel with their F-150, my point being you should not tow that much weight just because the manufacturer says you can.
Joe, Joyce , 4 Kids and 3 Dogs.
2004 V-10 Excursion with Hellwig sway bar, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer, Super Duty Tow Mirrors,
3.73 Gears, Reese dual cam, Prodigy brake controller.
2010 Jayco Jay Flight G-2 32 BHDS
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #34
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
While I have the 3.73 gears and my set up should be capable of towing around 10,000lbs its not the towing that concerns me but the stopping that does. I did not like the way the TT pushed me and would be concerned, over the long run, about the wear on the suspension as well.
Absolutely correct. The only thing I didn't like about the Ecoboost was the lack of engine braking. I towed our 28DSBH from WA to CA and while the engine got me up the Siskiyous & Grapevine like a rocket, going down was 2nd gear and 5,000 RPM to hold it at 60mph. Towards the end of the grade I was doing a lot more brake applications than I wanted.

Where you plan to take the truck/trailer should be a question that everyone should ask. As our trips take us over significant mountain grades, the diesel with exhaust braking was a no brainer. No stress at all now.
2017 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Crew Cab Long Bed w/6.7 CTD & Aisin
2015 Eagle 284BHBE Premier
milw156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #35
I can't say much that hasn't already been said other than I love mine. I have never been lacking in power regardless of altitude. I was a little concerned with our new trailer but it tows it well. Don't expect stellar gas mileage while towing though.
Cody560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #36
just buy an eco

I did a lot of research on the ecoboost. When I was in the market for a new truck. The must haves on the truck our 3.73, max tow, max payload. If your gonna tow a 5er get at least the 6.5 bed. With those options even if you went with the smaller box 5.5 I believe you will have an easier time selling it down the road. I almost bought a new 2014 with above options and the xlt package supercrew cab. The only reason why I did not was because I wasn't against owning a diesel and found a great deal on a slightly used one for only 1000 bucks more. Goodluck I know you will love the truck.

2014 6.6L Duramax 2500hd CrewCab
2011 x23b
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote