Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #21

The Max Tow package includes 3.73 gears. I believe you can get 3.73's in non Max Tow, but not the other way around. 3.55 gears are fine for most towing, but you lose out on the increased GVWR. Max Tow is available in 5.5 and 6.5 beds, and here in Canada with or without the tow mirrors. In the US Max Tow includes the big mirrors.

I also would highly recommend the bigger fuel tank. 136L is perfect when you're towing.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #22

I disagree that the 3.73 rear end is really needed.
I have 3.55 rear end and 33" tires which reduces it to an effective 3.44.
With the payload maxed out with tongue weight and gear, I have spun the back tires merging into traffic from a gas station. This was on brand new asphalt.

I've towed my rig (8k+) over Bald Mountain pass in the Uinta Mountains. It's about a 7-8% grade, 55mph speed limit. The truck settled into 3rd @ 3300 rpm and maintained 55 with most of the throttle left. I pulled away from a fully loaded suburban that had no trailer!. All this was above 10,000 ft elevation.

I really think it's turbos that make a difference on the diesel trucks and not the fuel.
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #23

An amusing little comparison:

1994 (first year) 7.3l Powerstroke Diesel
210hp 425lb-ft

2013 3.5l Ecoboost
365hp 420lb-ft
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #24

I have a 5.0 and am not towing my current trailer with this truck. My Friend has the Ecoboost and towed my trailer to my camp site without any issues. He Tows his TT which has a very similar weight with his truck and has not reported any issue. He towed in from here (Regina) to Victoria and said it pulled well.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
I have a 5.0 and am not towing my current trailer with this truck. My Friend has the Ecoboost and towed my trailer to my camp site without any issues. He Tows his TT which has a very similar weight with his truck and has not reported any issue. He towed in from here (Regina) to Victoria and said it pulled well.
It may be true that the EcoBoost makes more power and is better suited to heavy towing, but the weight restrictions of the tow vehicle must always be adhered to. The tow ratings, payload, hitch rating, GVWR, GCVWR and GAWR between the trucks won't differ much when comparing two similar trucks with different engines.

I would suspect that your friend's truck is overloaded, or close to it, unless he has the ideally packaged F150 (base model HD payload). Your trailer is Super Duty territory.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #26

Brownie, The HD payload comes with LT tires, not P-rated. It should also have 7 lugs per wheel and not 6 like the standard F150s. If your truck doesn't have these, I'd double check the features.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #27

I think he has the Max Tow package, not the HD payload package. There seems to be some confusion with the packages.

There is the basic tow package, then there's the Max Tow package which gives you a few extras and does in fact increase your payload by a bit by pushing the GVWR up to 7650 or 7700 depending on wheelbase, and then there's the Heavy Duty Payload package which is the 7 lug wheels, extra rear leaf, and increases GVWR to 8200lbs. Most Max Tow trucks come with LT tires with the exception of the 20in wheels in which case the P rated Pirellis are standard. All HD payload package trucks are standard with LT tires.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I think he has the Max Tow package, not the HD payload package. There seems to be some confusion with the packages.

There is the basic tow package, then there's the Max Tow package which gives you a few extras and does in fact increase your payload by a bit by pushing the GVWR up to 7650 or 7700 depending on wheelbase, and then there's the Heavy Duty Payload package which is the 7 lug wheels, extra rear leaf, and increases GVWR to 8200lbs. Most Max Tow trucks come with LT tires with the exception of the 20in wheels in which case the P rated Pirellis are standard. All HD payload package trucks are standard with LT tires.
That is my understanding as well. When I bought mine, I did a lot of research and several dealers tried to convince me that trucks with Max Tow were the same thing as the HD Payload but I knew it wasn't so. Ended up having to special order the truck because no one in the country had one on the lot. Waited two months for it but I was sure glad I persisted.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #29

I have had my Ecoboost F-150 since May 2013 and in the 65,000 miles I have put on it I have never averaged better than 17MPG. I routinly carry 1,000lbs of tools and spare parts in the bed under an ARE cap and usually travel 5 miles above the speed limit- I really envy those who claim MPG's in the 20's.
My regular TV is a V-10 Excursion but once did tow my 9300lb TT with my F-150 on a 25 mile trip.While I have the 3.73 gears and my set up should be capable of towing around 10,000lbs its not the towing that concerns me but the stopping that does. I did not like the way the TT pushed me and would be concerned, over the long run, about the wear on the suspension as well.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #30

If you're lugging around 10,000lbs then you should be in a 3/4 ton. The 150 would handle a load that heavy much better with LT tires, upgraded shocks, and air bags. Stopping shouldn't be a concern if your trailer brakes are set up properly.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #31

The TT I had was 7500GVW. While I have Max Tow Pkg that has a higher tow rating, I don't think I would feel comfortable going much heavier in a TT than what I had with an F-150. Nowadays there are a lot of nice lightweight options in TT market that will come in at 8000GVW or less that the 150 can handle nicely. If I didn't need the halfton as a DD, I would have gotten a bigger truck. As for mpg's, I will echo USMC, comments that I have not seen 20's mpg combined, but I have when not loaded and easy driving achieved high 19's mpg on average. All in all I still think it is a great truck.
Grey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #32

The purpose of the EcoBoost was to release a truck that bridges the gap between lower-capability half tons and diesel 3/4 tons. It was designed to allow the consumer the ability to own one vehicle that does everything rather than a daily driver and a dedicated tow vehicle. It provides a comfortable ride and good fuel economy for daily commuting during the week, and holds the ability to tow large and heavy items for work and play on the weekends. Because of the vast capabilities and dual nature of this truck, there will be areas that are not as ideal as other vehicles with dedicated purposes. Sure, the suspension is soft, but most people would complain about heavy duty suspension all week during their commute. The beauty is that you can easily customize your truck to be stronger in which ever area you wish.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
If you're lugging around 10,000lbs then you should be in a 3/4 ton. The 150 would handle a load that heavy much better with LT tires, upgraded shocks, and air bags. Stopping shouldn't be a concern if your trailer brakes are set up properly.
Yes a 3/4 ton truck is what I use as my TV. Look at other replys and you will see those that tow a fifth wheel with their F-150, my point being you should not tow that much weight just because the manufacturer says you can.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
While I have the 3.73 gears and my set up should be capable of towing around 10,000lbs its not the towing that concerns me but the stopping that does. I did not like the way the TT pushed me and would be concerned, over the long run, about the wear on the suspension as well.
Absolutely correct. The only thing I didn't like about the Ecoboost was the lack of engine braking. I towed our 28DSBH from WA to CA and while the engine got me up the Siskiyous & Grapevine like a rocket, going down was 2nd gear and 5,000 RPM to hold it at 60mph. Towards the end of the grade I was doing a lot more brake applications than I wanted.

Where you plan to take the truck/trailer should be a question that everyone should ask. As our trips take us over significant mountain grades, the diesel with exhaust braking was a no brainer. No stress at all now.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #35

I can't say much that hasn't already been said other than I love mine. I have never been lacking in power regardless of altitude. I was a little concerned with our new trailer but it tows it well. Don't expect stellar gas mileage while towing though.
Cody560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:55 PM   #36

just buy an eco

I did a lot of research on the ecoboost. When I was in the market for a new truck. The must haves on the truck our 3.73, max tow, max payload. If your gonna tow a 5er get at least the 6.5 bed. With those options even if you went with the smaller box 5.5 I believe you will have an easier time selling it down the road. I almost bought a new 2014 with above options and the xlt package supercrew cab. The only reason why I did not was because I wasn't against owning a diesel and found a great deal on a slightly used one for only 1000 bucks more. Goodluck I know you will love the truck.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote